electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  mosc Live music with Twyndyllyngs - Bill Fox and Howard Moscovitz
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Anyone else using a pre-production G2?
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Scot Solida

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Anyone else using a pre-production G2?
Subject description: (It's brains are now scrambled)
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My situation is unusual and I can't imagine too many other people having gone through it, but if there were anyone who has, they'd likely be on this forum.

Here's the deal. I have a pre-production G2 (with memory expansion). This was a unit sent out to sound designers and not the eventual unit sold, though almost. This particular G2 is supposed to be forever locked to an early OS (I believe it's 1.25b202) and only works with a Windows XP editor.

It was never supposed to be updated and Clavia warned against it. Through a series of misunderstandings and stupidity on my part, its brains were accidentally scrambled when a later version of the OS was dumped into it (no Nords before coffee ever again).

The result is a G2 with serious front panel craziness... non-working buttons, knobs, etc. No one at Clavia these days may be able to help me with this, unfortunately (and I wouldn't expect them to ten years later), though they are trying diligently.

It is their understanding that simply re-installing the original OS with which I was supplied should do the trick... but alas it does not. And in fact, I seem to get different results during my various attempts (none of which provide a fully working G2).

The brains of the thing are seemingly okay... I can use the editor and adjust parameters and functions that way. However, the hardware panel still doesn't behave properly. Some knobs work sometimes, others never do. The octave LEDs can't decide if they all but one want to be lit or just the middle one. The octave buttons themselves are non-functioning. Some variation buttons work, some don't and so on and so across the panel.

Clavia have suggested that the 26-pin cable may be at fault, so I reseated it, tried again to no avail and tried another old one but no go there, too (admittedly, this second one is every bit as likely to be faulty, since it came from a 27 year old synth). I have another cable ordered and arriving on Friday. That the cable would be at fault would be a heckuva coincidence, but then again, the instrument had just been moved across country.

In any event, the reason for my post is to see if there are any others who might have gotten a pre-production model and if they too had similar problems and what they did about them.

Anyone?

Or am I missing some common issue?
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: