electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Connectors for dual voltage power supply
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Speedy RB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Connectors for dual voltage power supply Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey All

I've been reading these forums for a while, and love the wealth of information and the general good vibes of the place!

I tried to find this out, but couldn't find it (so much to look at!)

What kind of connectors do you recommend for units that require a dual voltage (aka split voltage, bipolar power, split rail, V+ V- Gnd) power source? In this case I'm talking about the Thomas Henry 555 VCO which I plan on building soon.

In the past I've used stereo mini phono connectors (1/8" aka 3.5mm aka the kind found on small headphones), but have always wondered if this is a good idea since the contacts on the male end are exposed (I have a three year old to worry about), even though the amps will be under 2 or so.

But I'm also considering salvaging molex hard drive power connectors from an old PC - but those are a pain to unplug.

Suggestions? Thanks!
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

most people/systems use the 1/8' / 3.5mm connectors for cv patch and audio cable connections on the front panel. typically, MTA .156 or MTA .100 4 pin headers and connectors are used. Alternatively, 10 pin or 16 pin IDC Ribbon calbes can be used fro power as well, (Doepfer style).
Usae the TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleve) headphone style connectors for patch cables and pick either the MTA or Ribbon cale connections as a convention and stay with that foemat. Others here can no doubt give wise advice on the merits of each. I personnaly use the MTA style and have good luck with it.

Dan
Speedy RB

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Danno Gee Ray wrote:
most people/systems use the 1/8' / 3.5mm connectors for cv patch and audio cable connections on the front panel.

Thanks - I was debating between 1/4", banana, and 1/8" so this helps me decide!

Danno Gee Ray wrote:
typically, MTA .156 or MTA .100 4 pin headers and connectors are used. Alternatively, 10 pin or 16 pin IDC Ribbon calbes can be used fro power as well, (Doepfer style).
Dan

I'm wondering about connectors that I can mount on the panel. I'm hoping for a panel-mountable connector that uses a circular hole (since it's easiest to make a circular hole in my enclosures). I'll be using an external PSU to power a few units.

If I was going to use a molex-type connector, I was thinking of having the connector at the end of apx 2" of wire coming out of the unit (using a grommet on the hole). Kind of like an animal's tail! This would not be my first choice, though...

Thanks
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Speedy RB wrote:
I'm wondering about connectors that I can mount on the panel. I'm hoping for a panel-mountable connector that uses a circular hole (since it's easiest to make a circular hole in my enclosures). I'll be using an external PSU to power a few units.

I use XLR connectors for that myself,. so maybe that's an option ?
Í wouldn't use phono jacks for power connectors since they can create
a short when you plug/unplug them. It could works as long as you're careful though.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Speedy RB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
I use XLR connectors for that myself,. so maybe that's an option ?

I considered that, but the jacks and cables tend to be a bit pricey. I wonder if there is a slightly cheaper option.

PHOBoS wrote:
Í wouldn't use phono jacks for power connectors since they can create a short when you plug/unplug them. It could works as long as you're careful though.

That was one of my concerns - can a momentary short cause any damage, either to the unit being powered, or to the PSU?

Thanks
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My bad, I thought you were referring to connectors for the modules within the case.

I would stay away fron DIN 5 (MIDI) connectors, too easy to plug in the wrong thing. Try DIN 3. Sme for XLR in my opinnion YMMV.

Also, the 1/8" vs. 1/4" vs. Banana is a topic that can cover a lot of territory, and has eaten up many threads in its discussion. It all depends on what format you want to emulate / connect to. Search the forums for details.
Speedy RB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Danno Gee Ray wrote:
My bad, I thought you were referring to connectors for the modules within the case.

I would stay away fron DIN 5 (MIDI) connectors, too easy to plug in the wrong thing. Try DIN 3. Sme for XLR in my opinnion YMMV.

Also, the 1/8" vs. 1/4" vs. Banana is a topic that can cover a lot of territory, and has eaten up many threads in its discussion. It all depends on what format you want to emulate / connect to. Search the forums for details.

Thanks!
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Speedy RB wrote:
I considered that, but the jacks and cables tend to be a bit pricey. I wonder if there is a slightly cheaper option.

I think that depends a bit on the quality and what's available for you. I can get sockets/connectors for €1,15 each. And I make the cables myself,
which you probaby have to do anyway because most, if not all, cables you can get are designed for low power audiosignals.

Quote:
That was one of my concerns - can a momentary short cause any damage, either to the unit being powered, or to the PSU?

your PSU should be able handle a short allthough it could blow a fuse (if it has any) and your connectors probably won't really be happy with it.
As for your powered unit, well,. different things can happen depending on how you wire it up and a bit on what kind of sockets you use.
Say you use a +/-15V supply then it might happen that when you plug it in you will get 30V on just your positive supply line, or you might get
-15V on what should be your +15V powerline and vica versa. Of course this won't happen if you make sure you only plug/unplug it when the PSU is off.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Speedy RB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
Speedy RB wrote:

I think that depends a bit on the quality and what's available for you. I can get sockets/connectors for €1,15 each. And I make the cables myself,
which you probaby have to do anyway because most, if not all, cables you can get are designed for low power audiosignals.

Quote:

your PSU should be able handle a short allthough it could blow a fuse (if it has any) and your connectors probably won't really be happy with it.
As for your powered unit, well,. different things can happen depending on how you wire it up and a bit on what kind of sockets you use.
Say you use a +/-15V supply then it might happen that when you plug it in you will get 30V on just your positive supply line, or you might get
-15V on what should be your +15V powerline and vica versa. Of course this won't happen if you make sure you only plug/unplug it when the PSU is off.

Thanks for the info!
LED-man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i dont prefer usage of XLR,

many guys have this: bugbrand and other companys use 4 pole Microphon connectors,

like this:
http://such002.reichelt.de/?SID=10UZ3mNn8AAAIAABGeEZ48e3366fc4d146cda7c64f00d7c536594;ACTION=446
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Jump to: