electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
microLARGE 808 build
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
LetterBeacon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: microLARGE 808 build Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there,

I'm looking at building the microLARGE 808 (http://xlargex.xl.funpic.de) using the three big boards.

Unfortunately the PSU PCB layout with the noise circuit on isn't on his site anymore. Does anyone have that at all?

I did a search on here and found this thread where there is some discussion about building it, but that's about it.

In it, there is mention of some mods to make the clap sound better. The mods were on the old eight-oh-eight site which is now gone. Does anyone have a record of these mods?

Thank you!
Sebo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi:
I built the microLARGE 808 using the 3 big boards. Here is a video of mine:

http://youtu.be/GTSvuOEoI48

You can use any good regulated +15V -15V PSU, I used one based in 7x15 and a 1A transformer.
You don't need the noise circuit as it is included in one of the PCBs.
The polarity of C144 (in the Clap circuit) is inverted.
The jumper near D8 (in the Cymbal circuit) have to be omitted.
I think those are the most relevant warnings.
Also I did some minor changes to adjust the circuit to my taste.
If you find any difficulties in the building just ask me, I build it some years ago, but I think I can remember most of the process.

https://www.facebook.com/cosaquitos/
inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So dope! Thanks for posting and especially for verifying the boards (including revisions)! Working towards building my own, any suggestions for mods?
LetterBeacon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sebo,

I'd never seen that video before -what a fantastic build, top work!

I was looking at the schematics and I couldn't see a reason why a 3PDT switch couldn't replaces the three switches used to switch between toms and congas. What am I missing?

How are you controlling the 808?

inlifeindeath -there are a list of mods on the microlarge site.
sneakthief

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LetterBeacon wrote:

I was looking at the schematics and I couldn't see a reason why a 3PDT switch couldn't replaces the three switches used to switch between toms and congas. What am I missing?

You're missing the fact that sometimes you want to mix congas and toms Wink

Re. mods - here's my list with a few extra that the microLARGE site doesn't list:

http://midibox.org/forums/topic/15889-mb-808-first-test/?p=140364

LetterBeacon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Love the demo -sounds fantastic!

sneakthief wrote:

You're missing the fact that sometimes you want to mix congas and toms Wink

Ah I see, so by toggling just two switches, instead of all three for example, you get a mix between the two?
sneakthief

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LetterBeacon wrote:

Ah I see, so by toggling just two switches, instead of all three for example, you get a mix between the two?

I'm assuming as much. Well not a mix, per se but likely some kind of weird in-between setting.

Sebo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The switches changes different things, one sets the pitch envelope (toms have pitch envelope, congas don't), another sets the pitch (low pitch for toms, high pitch for congas), and the last one sets the reverb (toms have reverb, congas don't). So you can change the setting to get something in between the toms and congas. I love the congas with the reverb on.

Last edited by Sebo on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total
LetterBeacon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Sebo, that's much clearer now.

How are you controlling your 808? I was planning on building it into my modular, taking the clock out from my Midibox CV and using it to trigger the various voices.

You are using your piano roll in your DAW, which seems like a much better way of doing it. How are you doing it?

Thanks.
Sebo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I used a modified version of the MIDIbox CV, I buil it before MIDIbox 808 exists.
The triggers works well, but I have some problems with the accent, so I will change the MIDI interface in the future.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: