electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
9V battery project to Buchla module project
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
rogerlatur

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: 9V battery project to Buchla module project
Subject description: Using GND a Minus?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Normally the circuit I want to use and extend on my Buchla is housed in a metal box and works with a 9V battery.

When I look at the circuit, the connection coming from the Minus pole of the 9v battery is also used to ground the metal box and also for the Audio IN/OUTs ground lugs and the Pots ground lugs, as usual. So on this circuit the Minus and the GND is the same.

When I build DIY Buchla modules, I always connect GND/Minus/Plus from the Buchla Distro Board (let's call it further BuDiBo) to the circuit GND/-/+ connections of the circuit.
But here on the circuit I have Plus and Minus/GND. I understand then that on this kind of 9V circuits, the Minus pole of the battery is simply 0V (so can be considered as GND) and the Plus pole +9V. Not like on the Buchla where the current goes from -15V to +15V (30V)

So as it is +9V, I guess I should first find a way to transform the +12v from the BuDiBo to +9V (on the BuDiBo we find: Quiet Ground/+15/-15/+12/+5/Noisy Ground). If someone has a simple idea, he is welcome!

And about Minus/GND:
Can I just use the GND from BuDiBo and connect it to the place on the circuit where the Minus pole of the battery is connected to?

Thank you for your advice.
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 9V battery project to Buchla module project

rogerlatur wrote:
So as it is +9V, I guess I should first find a way to transform the +12v from the BuDiBo to +9V (on the BuDiBo we find: Quiet Ground/+15/-15/+12/+5/Noisy Ground). If someone has a simple idea, he is welcome!

The simplest way would be to regulate +15 or +12 down to +9 using a 3-terminal regulator, LM7809.
Quote:
And about Minus/GND:
Can I just use the GND from BuDiBo and connect it to the place on the circuit where the Minus pole of the battery is connected to?

I'm not sure about the meaning of "Quiet Ground" and "Noisy Ground", but I assume they branch apart from some common point. The 7809 Gnd would connect to that common point. You'll have to decide which Ground works better for your circuit's Minus battery connection -- "Quiet" or "Noisy." Neither one will harm your circuit, but use of one might sound better than the other.

Can someone familiar with Buchla stuff explain Quiet Ground and Noisy Ground?

rogerlatur

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 9V battery project to Buchla module project

Thank you very much for your help and advice.

richardc64 wrote:
Can someone familiar with Buchla stuff explain Quiet Ground and Noisy Ground?

Noisy GND is for digital circuits and Quiet GND for analog circuits.
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: