electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Gear Regrets
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
laura woodswalker

Audio files: 18

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Gear Regrets
Subject description: The opposite of Gear Acquisition Syndrome
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We need a thread that's the opposite of Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Gear that we wish we hadn't bought!!

Who wants to start? OK I will.... I'm beginning to think the Novation SLMKii is just a product that didn't live up to its promise.
adnauseam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: DSI Mopho Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Regret purchasing?

I like the sounds and the programmable features of the DSI Mopho but I HATE programming the thing. Adjusting a single parameter is a chore! I know there's software editors out there. I think DSI really took a step backwards when they made the interface for the Mopho. The Evolver desktop unit is SO nice to program (I have one of those, too). They could have made the Mopho just as nice to program for probably a few more dollars. I guess this is only half regret.

Then there's the other side of the coin: Gear you regret SELLING.
laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Let's put it this way. I am currently awaiting my 3rd iteration (replacement) of the above mentioned product. Meanwhile I see about 4 One-star reviews on a vendor website. Followed by a review that says "all these bad reviewers are from people who didn't bother to read the manual." Oh really? that must be because the manufacturer didn't bother to put out a REAL manual. Obviously this comment was put there by a paid employee of the company. They do hire people for the job of "social media".

So now I'm just wondering what my life would be like if I had gone with something else, like the APC 40.

varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Gear Regrets
Subject description: The opposite of Gear Acquisition Syndrome
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

laura woodswalker wrote:
We need a thread that's the opposite of Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Gear that we wish we hadn't bought!!...

Laughing Great idea Laura Exclamation

Here are a couple of my worst regrets:

The most expensive mistake I ever made was buying a six voice Oberheim OB-Mx. I recall that this synth was released after the Oberheim brand was bought by Gibson. On paper, the specs and features for this synth would make any analog synthesist drool. But, the synth I got was a total disaster! The tuning function for the VCOs seldom works, the two VCOs on each voice card undesirably soft synch to each other due to poor circuit board design, and the LFO and EG control waveforms are generated digitally (instead of normally with analog circuits) by the onboard CPU at a ridiculously slow update rate of 6ms – you can easily hear the crappy stepping and “zippering” effect on the modulated destinations… The out of tune VCOs alone make this box useless for normal music… Evil or Very Mad

The second most frustrating piece of gear that I have ever bought was an Emu Launchpad. Supposed to be great MIDI controller (again the specs and features looked great on paper), but it also turned out to be a big failure. It would just go into a schizophrenic crash at the drop of a hat, then many times spitting out random MIDI garbage at the connected synth(s)… Evil or Very Mad

laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is kind of sad to think about all the failed pieces of gear wasting away in the attic. You can't usually sell them. Nobody seems to be buying anything on Craigslist. Things get outdated so fast...a shelf life of about 2 years.
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The question is for what and for how much are you selling them Smile

I'm betting there are older synths mouldering which may have components in them that would be worth a bit, if you were willing/able to part them out, even if the synths themselves were disastrous.
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Keith McMillen stringport

Waldorf Blofeld

Line 6 JTV

Moog Guitar
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

t.c. electronic audio interfaces - it's crap, expensive crap Evil or Very Mad

Well it sort of works with the pacarana .. always a bit erratic, but usable at least ... that's about it.

So erm .. how could I sell that Shocked (I mean I wouldn't want to sell it even, if it's crap to me how could a buyer be happy ... anyway, everything I've ever sold I have regretted Laughing ).

Oh and did I ever mention my last sony? (that was an md recorder thingie) .. let's just not mention s*** anymore Confused

glow worm

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:

Waldorf Blofeld

Really? How so?? I keep having to wipe the drool off mine Very Happy

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Most Serious Regret was buying the Euphonix MC Control. Not only did the touch screen backlight die just after the warranty did, but Euphonix was bought out by Avid and they were not much help. Not that the quality of the unit was nice At All. It was a nice idea at the time.

Home,My Studio,and another view
bubzy

Audio files: 64

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ford focus.
piece of crap died and cost me a fortune dying.
what? oh MUSIC stuff.....
sad to say the korg kaossilator. was pleased as punch with it to begin with, maybe it was just my creative side wasn't up to the task and it spent a lot of time devaluing on a shelf until I sold it for a fraction of what I paid.
just remembered I bought a stylophone. wowzers was that a heap of crap (imo)

Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: