electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
An Analog Synthesizer for the 21st Century
Page 4 of 9 [205 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That power supply utilzes the following Molex connector housings and terminals:

J1/J2 MATES WITH MOLEX (SERIES 2139 or SERIES 41695) .156" (4mm)
CENTER CRIMP TERMINAL HOUSING OR EQUIVALENT

Terminals:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/08-50-0107/WM2301CT-ND/3131978

6 Position Housing:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/0009503061/WM2104-ND/26461

4 Position Housing[url]:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/0009503041/WM2102-ND/26457[/url]

I will try and help as much as I can with the IKC keyboard scanner.

Bill
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are a vast array of different types of Molex connectors. For example the standard power connector for much of the 5U world is a .156 pitch, 4 or 6 position Molex friction lock header. I believe MOTM established that standard. synthesizers.com ("DotCom") established a different standard using a 6 position .100 pitch Molex friction lock header, with a keyed position.

I haven't looked at the spec for this supply (as it appears Bill has), but the only other thing I would say is that if you have wires that carry the voltages you need, it's not terribly difficult to put the header you want for your system onto those wires.

Edit: you might want to look into these distribution boards: http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs74_bus.html

They use the .156 headers that it sounds like your supply does. Even if the boards you're using don't, it's easy enough to create power cables that go from this distribution board to any other type of header you see fit to use.
chieffrancis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does this all mean that it's safe to assume that I should just get this power supply for my synth?
chieffrancis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I received an e-mail from allied electronics and they gave me this info, although I have no idea what quantity I will need per part.

J1 AC Input:
mfr part #: 09-50-8021 (allied part #: 70190944)
requires: 08-50-0106 (70190711)

J2 DC Output:
08-50-0106 (70190711)
and 09-50-8061

AC Cord:
17512 10 B1 (70116025)

I can see that the AC cord can go directly into the wall outlet from the Molex header of J1. I'm not sure why both J1 and J2 require 08-50-0106 but I assume that I can just connect the wires on the opposite side of the Molex header of J2 to connect to the power pins of the modules/IKC.

I haven't checked the digikey links that Bill sent yet as I'm at work but I assume it's something close to what I was e-mailed.

What do you guys think?
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Does this all mean that it's safe to assume that I should just get this power supply for my synth?

It depends on the quantity of modules and the power requirements for each supply rail. You have to work up the total power and then use this information as basis for your power source. In this case, with your supply:

MAP40-3003

+5V 4.7V to 5.8V 3A 5A 0.2% 2% 1% 4.9V to 5.1V
+15V Fixed 1.5A 3A 1% 3.5% (Note 3) 1% 14.7V to 15.3V
-15V Fixed 0.2A 0.5A 1% 2% (Note 4) 1% -14.3V to -15.7V

Link to this data sheet will clarify what the above means:
http://www.power-one.com/sites/power-one.com/files/documents/power/datasheet/map30.pdf

You really should specify a margin of at least 15% to 20% on each power rail over the highest expected current on the rail.

It looks as though your 5V will be plenty enough coming in at 15W (5V x 3A). One thing I should mention is that the IKC main board requires about 0.25 A alone. The XC95108 PLD is a bit of a power hog.

Bill
chieffrancis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think I should be fine, the power supply detailed in Thomas's book has 2 transformers:

36VCT, 1.5A going to the +/-15V regulators (7815 and 7915) which are to output an excess of 1A

and

9V, 1A going to the 5V regulator (7805)

I mean, I don't have many other options now. I could make the power supply I suppose, but that's not really realistic anymore this close to the end, haha.

In the future however, I would like to experiment with creating my own power supplies.
chieffrancis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Btw Bill,

Judging by the pictures I posted on page 2, do you see anything familiar that would more than likely be connected directly to the IKC?

As you are the IKC authority, I'd like to get your input on ideas for connecting my M-Audio Keystation 49e keybed to the IKC.
chieffrancis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh and I'll probably only be building 6 or so modules (out of the initial 12 I planned) since it's getting down to the wire, and I most likely will only be able to put in the essential modules (IMO).

And these modules are:
XR VCO
VCF
VCA
LFO
ADSR (maybe 2, one dedicated to the VCA, another going to the VCO or VCF)
Sample and Hold (if there's time, although it's a simple circuit)

*not including the IKC
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
-15V Fixed 0.2A

I believe that 0.2A will be OK judging from those modules but would have to do the power budget to see for sure. The 5V and 15V are OK.

Bill
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
And these modules are:
XR VCO
VCF
VCA
LFO
ADSR (maybe 2, one dedicated to the VCA, another going to the VCO or VCF)
Sample and Hold (if there's time, although it's a simple circuit)

I would go with 2 LFO, 2 ADSR and forget the S/H for now. Just my opinion man Very Happy You plan on going 1/4" on all jacks? If you use 1/8", you can get stackables and eliminate the need for a multi. .

Bill
chieffrancis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah def. going 1/4" jacks. My friends and I are planning on throwing it into the studio once it's finished, so I think 1/4" would be studio-friendliest. Plus, that's less planning/ordering stuff, hah!
elmegil

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I used a 556 rather than a 555 and made the TH ADSR a dual. Of course I had to duplicate the other support chips (the 4016 and the op amps), but it worked out pretty well.

I was inspired to do that by a project where someone else did the same, but I can't find a link to it any longer, so no more help than that.
chieffrancis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks idea man!

I'm pretty sure I can just duplicate most of the components onto the same (or separate) boards but I'm pretty sure the panel size allows for double (or even triple) ADSRs. I might even try to do this with the VCFs and VCAs to save some space, but we'll see.

What's the best way to form nodes on a perf besides just soldering pins into adjacent holes? Also, should I be putting components connected to power towards the edges of the board to create the power "rail"? I'd like to be efficient in my soldering.

I feel like I'm going to be using a bit of wire with how I'm thinking about doing it right now, haha.
elmegil

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It depends on what you mean by "perf".

I don't work with raw perf board (with no copper on it at all), so I don't have any advice there.

I have used protoboard (which is like breadboards in copper on perf) and veroboard/stripboard.

When I was starting, using the protoboard was the easiest to do, because I'd build on a breadboard and then basically pick it up and put it on the protoboard. Normally there are rails provided.

Stripboard has some advantages, but the layouts are more difficult if you're just figuring things out.

You might be hard pressed to get the vca/vcf duals on a single board or on a single panel, depending on how you want to lay it out. I put the VCF/VCA onto a single panel and added a couple extra inputs that were switchable from one to the other, so I could have multiple ins to either the VCF or the VCA. In the AS4t21C book Thomas notes where you can "repeat these components for more inputs", and I just did that and made them switchable from one circuit to the other.
chieffrancis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about those where you repeat certain resistors and capacitors or something, but yeah I'll definitely take those into consideration.

And by perf, I'm referring to perfboards with copper holes but without rails.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I used a 556 rather than a 555 and made the TH ADSR a dual. Of course I had to duplicate the other support chips (the 4016 and the op amps), but it worked out pretty well.

Awesome, that's what I talking about. Nice idea to combine and use the 556 chip. Once your on a roll, building the second goes quick. Wink

As far as bussing signals. If my perforated boards, I like pad per hole, do not have bussing, a larger gauge uninsulated bus wire works well to make your own. Run then along edges, in the middle, etc. where ever you need them. Makes good practice, for example single point grounding, and the circuit is very clean in terms of not having rats nests ... Lol

Bill
chieffrancis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How exactly would i connect these jacks as normally open vs closed?

I assume that right-most would be ground? Would normally open mean that I do not connect the middle connector (does this middle connector correspond to the arrow in Thomas' normally closed I/O)?

IMG_0480.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.75 MB
 Viewed:  196 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

IMG_0480.jpg

elmegil

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ne'er the twain shall meet.

Normally Open and Normally Closed jacks are not interchangeable.

That jack is normally closed, and the lug on the slanted corner is ground, the next lug counter clockwise is the switch (what the "arrow" represents in Thomas' schematics), and the next lug CCW is the signal.
chieffrancis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

These are normally closed but you said they could be wired in a way that they act normally open.

My question is, for example, on the ADSR's J2 plug, which of the 3 prongs is connected to ground, +15V, and the 100kohm accordingly?

Edit: Ah, so from top-to-bottom, the connections would be: ground, +15V, 100kohm?
elmegil

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't recall saying that they were interchangeable, was just trying to explain where "normally open" and "normally closed" made sense since you seemed to be confusing jacks and switches....

Edit: Yes I think that's right, but I don't have AS4t21C handy to me when I'm working in the office....
chieffrancis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
NO is Normally Open. NC is Normally Closed.

A normally open jack is a standard 1/4" mono jack.

A normally closed jack, has a third connector, and if there is no jack inserted, whatever goes to that connector is then routed to the tip input. In this doc, that's indicated with the arrow pointing at the jack's tip. So on the ADSR for example, you have 15V to the gate unless there's a plug inserted in which case it takes the gate signal from the plug. For the ADSR this lets it operate in a "just triggered" mode. Similarly, the normalling of the trigger input lets it operate in "just gated" mode.

You can use a normally closed switch in place of a normally open one, you just don't use that third connector...

Also, does anyone know how the wiring diagram looks for 3T rotary switches? My SP3T has 4 pins and my DP3T has 8 (2 sets of 4, assuming that the other 4 act in parallel). There are numbers on each pin but there was no instruction manual detailing which pin was used for what.
elmegil

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, fair enough. Smile

What I meant was you can use a normally closed jack as a normal jack with no switch. So just wire ground and tip.

Normally in a rotary switch the common is the center connector, and a DPxT rotary has two in the center, one for each pole.

Best way to check it out, if it's not clear to you, is to use your continuity tester, find the closed connection, change the switch, do it again.
chieffrancis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Haha, don't make me buy n.o jacks!

Thanks a bunch man.
elmegil

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just need to get more sleep Smile
chieffrancis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quick question about wiring pots.

When connecting pots that don't have the "wiper" connected, do I then just connect the first and third terminal accordingly, or do I connect the wiper as one end of the schematic with another terminal at the other end?
Page 4 of 9 [205 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: