electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Midi SetUP for a NM1 Newbie on OSX 10.8.3
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Chris Ghost

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject:  Midi SetUP for a NM1 Newbie on OSX 10.8.3 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everybody,

yesterday I got a mint NM1 Rack version with expansion board that I bought over ebay. So I tried to set up the Synth until I realized that the editor is not working with OSX 10.7 and higher. So I read many forums and try to find a solution, but I really not sure what is the best workarround.
I also not sure how I need to connect all to get it working so I need your help.
1. Is the virtualbox with Win XP stable to use the editor? Or is Nomad the better way? Because I not want to set up an extra PC or old Mac to use the editor if this is not really need.
2. What is the correct set up for the midi? Does I need any extra midi box?
My Hardware is:
iMac 2012 osx 10.8.3
Saffire Pro 40 (Midi in / out)
Novation 61 SL MK II (Midi in / out / thru)
DAW Ableton 9
All other Synth or Midi Controllers work via USB
If I understand it right, I need to connect the PC in and out to the Saffire out and in Midi Ports. And can trigger the Synth via the Novation using the normal Midi out on Novation and Midi in on NM1. But what does I need to do if I like to trigger the Synth and Knobs from Ableton? I really never had much to do with the normal Midi, I always use USB so I would say I'm a Midi Newbie.
It will be really great if someone could help me.
secretkillerofnames

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi and welcome!

I'm still waiting on my NM Rack to arrive so this advice relates to the MicroModular.

My recommendation is to forget about using OSX 10.8.3 with yr NM. Use bootcamp with Win XP or 7 or OSX 10.6.8
I've tried Wine, Crossover, Virtual box and VMware as well as the Nomad editor and not had any luck. The problems are many and varied:
1) Mac OS's past 10.6.8 don't have the necessary backwards compatibility (Rosetta) to run the Clavia editor.
2) Nomad editor does not appear compatible with current Java MIDI
3) only a few MIDI controllers actually work to connect the editor with NM and many are discontinued or don't have updated drivers that work with OSX 10.8. Seems the general MIDI inputs are not as fussy.

I have had success using the Clavia Editor with a Roland UM-One on 10.6.8, bootcamp Win 7 on the same MacBook Pro and Win7 on a different Win notebook.
The gentleman who sold me the NM Rack recommended a MOTU Fastlane USB as what he used. Not sure what OS.

So to conclude - yes the MIDI cables and OS matter. Worth it once you get it working though!
Chris Ghost

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Working solution Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, actualy I got a solution that makes me not really happy but it is working for the editor.
On my Win7 Notebook I can run the editor and connect the Midi from Native Instruments Audio 8 to the NM, it is working.
But a solution that can run on the iMac will be much better. If anyone has a solution that not need to work with a second computer, please let me know.
secretkillerofnames

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm keen to know also.
Think bootcamp is the only way but other people in this forum have had luck with Virtual Box so maybe you will too?
My problem is that the UM-One driver does no show in Wine/crossover or Virtual Box. A driver issue. Perhaps your NI interface will work better?
Chris Ghost

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Problem fixed with cheap solution Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi secretkillerofnames,

I finaly got a solution after I tried many diffrent midi interfaces. The Virtual Box was istalled very quick, I used an old XP Pro License. But the Native Soundcard didnt work. So I bought 2 USB to Midi Cable Interface, the "Midi Mate II" from ESI, but it not worked, I orderd another two called "Logolink" and "Korn" they looking very similar so I think it is from same supplier just with diffrent OEM Names, both didnt work. So I orderd "Xmidi 2x2" from E-MU with a solution from "Creative" (the Soundblaster Company) I thought that must work because they specialized in PC Audio Hardware. Today it arrived, I pluged in, not need any install of driver and "TADA" it works, it works really nice. The cost is arround 40,- Euro and no more second PC or old Mac is need.
If you also looking for a solution with only one Mac, here it is.
Virtual Box is running on 10.8.3
secretkillerofnames

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EMU X-MIDI 2x2
So that would be this device:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/emu_xmidi_2x2.htm
??

Seems like it's hard to find here in Australia. I'm only getting that link as having any available.
Chris Ghost

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, exactly, this is the right device, I also bought it there.
secretkillerofnames

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool - well thanks for the info.
Chris Ghost

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome Wink
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: