electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Why don't Alesis take the DSI approach?
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Mefistophelees

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Why don't Alesis take the DSI approach? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Given the apparent success of the Prophet 08, I really have to wonder why Alesis haven't picked up the Andromeda and done more with it.

If you look at the Prophet '08 they've rolled out the tech into a whole range of synths:

Prophet '08 keyboard
Prophet '08 module
Tetra (4 voice version in a tiny case)
Morpho (1 voice version in a tiny case)
Morpho Keyboard (same as Morpho but with a 3 octave keyboard)

The Andromeda is a really impressive machine but think of what else they could do with it.

There's nothing to stop them making 8, 4 or 2 voice versions with simpler cases. They could even do a 1 voice version with the dud chips (the voice chips have 2 voices but some will come out with one dead).

They could easily cut down the number of knobs and use virtual knobs on a touch screen (cheap now thinks to the iPad).

I'm sure they've noticed the success of Dave Smith's instruments, but I wonder why they haven't brought the Andromeda program back to life.
Granted it wouldn't be easy but it'd certainly not be impossible.
soundwave106

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Numark doesn't care that much or something. Confused

If Alesis was still around, perhaps that would be happening. But when Alesis went bankrupt, from what I understood, much of the people involved in the Andromeda left. So it would be a lot, lot harder to start over.
sunny pedaal

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

in a way they did a bit. after all the ion and micron where developped.
although digital and not analog, i see a lot of similarities in the parameters/ concept .
bought myself a micron, just for fun, for the kids and for maximum portability recently. and being used to the a6 , it was as if i came home to a very familiar place . got an editor for free from the net ( for mac, freewar/shareware ), didn't have to use it so far. things like dualfilter+ rouing, excessive modulation possibilities + level and offset , 3 eg, tracking generator etc surely are implemented with the knowledge obtained from the andromeda.
at least that's what i presume
hrastprogrammer

Audio files: 103

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sunny, how do you like Micron? I am thinking about getting one, just for fun, of course ...
sunny pedaal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think it's great
parameter resolution seems a bit less then on the a6 ( 0-100%, in steps of 1 % )
the presets are not too super good, but after some tweaking and adaptation of b.e. the velocity its sound is oke.
pity the keyboard has spiral springs instead of plate springs, thereby the action is harder.
but having said this: for 200 euros I got a good sounding synthesizer which is truly portable and looks enough like a a6 to easily find my way around.
it's so nice to simply take it in a bag , go to my guitar playing friends and just jam.
when more place in the bag, take the laptop too for the sampled instruments and just go and play. never backproblems any more, no more excuses
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

soundwave106 wrote:
Numark doesn't care that much or something. Confused

If Alesis was still around, perhaps that would be happening. But when Alesis went bankrupt, from what I understood, much of the people involved in the Andromeda left. So it would be a lot, lot harder to start over.

No, it could still be done. IIRC, the main PCBs (digital/voice/output) are all less than rack width (for just such an emergency). New front-panel PCBs would have to be generated and tested. The big problem would be modifying the OS to limit to less voices etc., which requires Testing. And a team. Making it a Project.

"IC 741. Sometimes you don't want fidelity." -Small Bear Electronics Catalog
Future_Thrive

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I worked at Numark/Alesis/Akai for a couple years. I had no connection with the creation of the Andromeda, but was proud to say I worked for the company (at least in name) that did. Myself and a fellow employee loved to plan the Andromeda's return: The A3 37-note version and A0 Rack. We had the photo-shopped images and everything. The plan was to hit up the J.O.D (Jack O'Donnell) for about 500 grand, get all the original designers back on board and pull Alesis from the fiery depths of perpetual AppleĀ® approvals. Mind you, we were pretty low on the food-chain, and understood the prospect was ridiculous. But a couple of Alesis guys can dream, can't they? Anyway, product-idea meetings were more focused on what can be made quickly and cheaply. We brought up the idea of another analog synth - something really simple and fun (think a micron-sized Juno 106 using the ASCS:) and they were like, "whaaa?, where do you put the iPod?". The product manager wanted to make the Androme-Dock. I puked in my mouth. Have you no shame, sir? Then they discontinued the Andromeda, while I was waiting for mine no less! Fortunately, I was able to get one through a fellow employee. Doesn't have a serial number on it, but it was "made in Taiwan" - so it's not an early version or anything. Works like a dream though! There was only one Andromeda left in the Numark building when I left. A "Gold" sample that came over from Alesis in CA. It was just in a box buried underneath tons of other crap in the basement. Probably gone now. Meanwhile, they have a Fusion on display when you walk into the lobby.
hrastprogrammer

Audio files: 103

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Future_Thrive wrote:
"whaaa?, where do you put the iPod?"

Hahaha, "where do you put the iPod" is the most important question on analog synth, for sure ...

Thanks for sharing this thumb up

sunny pedaal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeh, the fusion surely will be remebered as alesis' highmark in future Laughing Laughing Laughing
SynthasaurusRex

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Why don't Alesis take the DSI approach? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mefistophelees wrote:
Given the apparent success of the Prophet 08, I really have to wonder why Alesis haven't picked up the Andromeda and done more with it.

<snip>

Or at least license the chips so someone else could make something of them.

- Stephen
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: