electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
The Stereo poll
Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic

Do you care if you get left/right correct?
Yes
85%
 85%  [ 24 ]
No
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
I always make sure left is connect to right and vice versa
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 28

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: The Stereo poll Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When I plug in a synth or other gadget with stereo output, if it's a black and red cord I sometimes see to it that the red goes into the right socket and black into left. Sometimes I don't care (especially if the inputs aren't clearly marked L/R). If i have cords with other colours I don't bother checking. Whatever - as long as you get the stereo feeling who cares if the thing I set to left is actually in the left speaker, right? ( Wink )

So how do you guys feel about this important philosophical question?

robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have always had a problem with left, in that I confuse it with right.

Or was it the other way around?

DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mixing up left and right could cause an inversion of the law of physics if you play loud enough. That can in turn make the universe disappear, so keep those cables sorted!
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Always try to do it left .. erm .. right .. as otherwise I dont know where the sound comes from .. or what to tweak to get it right ... left ... ok Rolling Eyes
hrastprogrammer

Audio files: 103

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I answered "Yes" although, for some of my synths like Waldorf Q, I should have answered "I always make sure left is connect to right and vice versa" because outputs are reversed ... known (never fixed) bug ...
Antimon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HrastProgrammer wrote:
I answered "Yes" although, for some of my synths like Waldorf Q, I should have answered "I always make sure left is connect to right and vice versa" because outputs are reversed ... known (never fixed) bug ...

That option wasn't as silly as I though then. Smile

hrastprogrammer

Audio files: 103

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
That option wasn't as silly as I though then. Smile

Not silly at all Smile

analog_backlash

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What about getting the speaker polarity wrong so that they suck instead of blow (and vice-versa)? Or should another poll be set up for that?
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

analog_backlash wrote:
What about getting the speaker polarity wrong so that they suck instead of blow (and vice-versa)? Or should another poll be set up for that?

I hate speakers that suck.

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RF wrote:
I hate speakers that suck.

Sure .. but still better than speakers that were blown Shocked

kkissinger

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Stereo poll Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
When I plug in a synth or other gadget with stereo output, if it's a black and red cord I sometimes see to it that the red goes into the right socket and black into left. Sometimes I don't care (especially if the inputs aren't clearly marked L/R). If i have cords with other colours I don't bother checking. Whatever - as long as you get the stereo feeling who cares if the thing I set to left is actually in the left speaker, right? ( Wink )

For me it is a practical issue: namely that troubleshooting becomes difficult if there is no consistency for channels on the signal path.

Incidentally, I closely follow the color-coding for resistor values. Thus, my cables run: black-red-orange-yellow-green-blue-purple-grey (for channels 1-Cool.

A E J O T Z

Audio files: 148

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stereo poll Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
- as long as you get the stereo feeling who cares if the thing I set to left is actually in the left speaker, right?

I add layers as I record and I have experimented with beginning non-centered layers on left side and right side and then alternating. I like it better when I start on the left. I don't know why; I just do.

So it does matter to me that my synth monitors agree with my recorder and with my CD players.

And, for mnemonic purposes, Red is always Right.

free albums at http://aejotz.bandcamp.com
listen to genre-defying synthetic music at http://sat-5.com
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stereo poll Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A E J O T Z wrote:
I like it better when I start on the left. I don't know why; I just do.

Shocked

I sometimes have to turn my headphones .. as in L to R ... and then it will sound better .. never got that .. but it works

Shocked

A E J O T Z

Audio files: 148

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now I'm wondering if we can be left-eared or right eared.

I wonder if I'm inclined to make different kinds of sounds/rhythms/melodies on the right side than on the left side.

Surely the right cerebral hemisphere "hears" things differently from the left cerebral hemisphere (right brain, left brain).

Ow, I think I just sprained my corpus collosum!

free albums at http://aejotz.bandcamp.com
listen to genre-defying synthetic music at http://sat-5.com
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stereo poll Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:

OMG Shocked How could anyone be so careless to connect the left and right channels of stereo gear incorrectly Question Exclamation This blatant disregard of proper order invites chaos that could upset the balance of the universe Twisted Evil

In all seriousness though, most stereo sound sources that I use (especially synths and FX units) have some way of controlling the difference between the output channels, so it just makes practical sense to take care to make the correct connections to avoid confusion. Therefore, I voted YES!

varice

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
A E J O T Z wrote:
I like it better when I start on the left. I don't know why; I just do.

Shocked

I sometimes have to turn my headphones .. as in L to R ... and then it will sound better .. never got that .. but it works

Shocked

A E J O T Z wrote:

I wonder if I'm inclined to make different kinds of sounds/rhythms/melodies on the right side than on the left side.

Surely the right cerebral hemisphere "hears" things differently from the left cerebral hemisphere (right brain, left brain)...

Hmm, a very interesting theory thinking

It just might be true, since there have been several reports over the years that the left and right hemispheres of the brain process sensory input information differently.

And using headphones may exaggerate this perception.

Hey Jan, do you remember my experimental Nord Modular G2 Headphone processor patch? here:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-53058.html

I think that I will add a control to swap stereo channels in this patch and then do some more listening tests…

Antimon

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A E J O T Z wrote:

Surely the right cerebral hemisphere "hears" things differently from the left cerebral hemisphere (right brain, left brain).

Ow, I think I just sprained my corpus collosum!

Interesting!

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

varice wrote:
Hey Jan, do you remember my experimental Nord Modular G2 Headphone processor patch? here:

I was distracted at the time by the new Kyma thing I see Rolling Eyes

But now that you mention it ... should load that one into a Nord again.

Quote:
I think that I will add a control to swap stereo channels in this patch and then do some more listening tests…

Heh ... headphones are almost self swapping Wink but ok, to put some science in ... could roll the dice a bit on the swapper then ... but you'd need music that you do not already know then Shocked hmm .. not easy to test ...

MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I said yes, because most of the time its true. However, I have (on a few occasions) set up a L/R crossfade [think midi pan] between two modules by swapping L & R on one of them. But that was just once or twice as an experiment. (Good question!)
Steve
1:11

Audio files: 109

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also said, "Yes".
We always try to remember "Red is Right" when hooking up everything.

AEJOTZ's post though...kinda blew me away. Opened up a whole new theory to explore.
Thanks!!

etc.
audiodef

Audio files: 53

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I voted yes, but just because when all is said and done, whatever is left must be right.
varice

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
varice wrote:

I was distracted at the time by the new Kyma thing I see Rolling Eyes

But now that you mention it ... should load that one into a Nord again.

Quote:

Heh ... headphones are almost self swapping Wink but ok, to put some science in ... could roll the dice a bit on the swapper then ... but you'd need music that you do not already know then Shocked hmm .. not easy to test ...

Not easy to scientifically test indeed… since any listening test would be based on the subjective opinions of each person involved… and all of the vast number of variables involved…

But I wasn’t planning on writing a strictly scientific paper about the perceived benefit of swapping stereo channels though…

But with all that said, I did notice that swapping stereo channels *did* make a perceived difference in the presentation of records that I tested…

So, I would have to say at this point that it is a *very* interesting* theory* that the stereo panning of particular sounds in a track may affect the listeners perceived enjoyment of a track… This theory does need more testing…

DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A E J O T Z wrote:

I've been wondering about this. Not in such a concise way as you, but I've noted that my cell phone earplug has to go in the left ear. That just feels right - in the right ear it just feels strange and wrong. This is spite of my left ear being my problem ear; it's a little bit damaged and have periodic mild tinnitus. I.e. on an intellectual and practical level, I should've preferred the right ear... Perhaps I prefer the left ear for ear plugs in order to keep my right ear free to hear the world around me(?)

Edit: Aha! Google search for "preferred ear". I'm right handed so should prefer the right ear according to the first few links I read, but again, maybe I want to keep my best ear free when telephoning... Hmm... I'm confused now. I'd not rule out that it's just a plain old habit, and that I could adapt to "swapping ears".
audiodef

Audio files: 53

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A E J O T Z wrote:

Certainly! Growing up, when I listened to loud music, I took the hearing aid out of my right ear to follow along with the bass, while leaving the hearing aid in my left ear for everything else.

Now I have a cochlear implant in my left ear, so at the moment I am most definitely left-eared, albeit technologically if not psychoacoustically. I plan to get a second implant, and I'm going to keep an ear out (so to speak) for whether I have a preference for one ear or the other.

Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: