electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Monorocket Synth cases - Switch Mode PSU's !!!???
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Broadwave

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Monorocket Synth cases - Switch Mode PSU's !!!??? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was very interested in Monorocket's modular cases (a bit on the expensive side, but they look stunning)... what's putting me off is the use of Switch Mode PSU's.

I always believed that they introduced all kinds of nasty noise... has anybody had experience using them instead of a regular linear supply?

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
sneakthief

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't be so quick to judge. For example, The Buchla 200e series uses a switching PSU... as do a lot of modern synths and audio pedals.

What matters is the actual specs of the PSU: ripple, switching frequency, smoothing caps, etc.

johncronan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sneakthief wrote:
What matters is the actual specs of the PSU: ripple, switching frequency, smoothing caps, etc.

With high switching frequency comes EMI. These do appear to be well shielded though.
Broadwave

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Out of curiosity I bought a Mean Well T60B, I have to say that it looks very similar to the Monorocket PSU's

It outputs +5 (5A), +12 (2.5A) and -12 (only 0.5A).

I've temporarily put it into the modular I'm currently building, and so far it's been great - it's just a shame that the -12v supply is only 500ma.

I'm quite surprised Smile
donpachi

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I second that the specs and shielding are most important. There is a Bicc Vero Trivolt PK120 supply in my system which provides 2 A per rail. The rails are individually adjustable from +/-12 to +/-15 V, can be had for cheap on ebay, comes in a Eurorack-style case, provides an extra +5 V rail with separate ground. Ripple is <20 mV at full load, I did not notice any noise...
Broadwave

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

donpachi wrote:
I second that the specs and shielding are most important. There is a Bicc Vero Trivolt PK120 supply in my system which provides 2 A per rail. The rails are individually adjustable from +/-12 to +/-15 V, can be had for cheap on ebay, comes in a Eurorack-style case, provides an extra +5 V rail with separate ground. Ripple is <20 mV at full load, I did not notice any noise...

I've just acquired two Trivolt PK120's off ebay for £10 each Smile

I've a few question about wiring if you don't mind...

I presume the +/- sense leads must be connected to +/-12/15 volt outputs (either at the PSU end or with a twisted pair closer to the load)?

I have no 5v requirements in my modular, but being a SMPS I guess it has to be loaded somehow and not left floating - anybody have an idea how I can simply, and safely, load the 5v output?

And finally, what sort of load are you pulling off this thing, and how toasty does it get - are the stock heat fins enough to cope?

Many thanks.
donpachi

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AndyR1960 wrote:

I presume the +/- sense leads must be connected to +/-12/15 volt outputs (either at the PSU end or with a twisted pair closer to the load)?

According to the datasheet they should. Have to admit that I omitted this Embarassed I´ll better install at least jumpers between the outputs and sense inputs (minimal configuration without load compensation). It has been running nicely with the sense inputs floating, but I haven´t really challenged it yet with high or fluctuating loads...

AndyR1960 wrote:

I have no 5v requirements in my modular, but being a SMPS I guess it has to be loaded somehow and not left floating - anybody have an idea how I can simply, and safely, load the 5v output?

And finally, what sort of load are you pulling off this thing, and how toasty does it get - are the stock heat fins enough to cope?

My 5 V output is floating, too. No problems so far. The load of my system is roughly 200 mA. As expected, the internal heatsink can easily dissipate this. The frontplate does not get noticeably warm.

Thank you for reminding me to un-float the sense inputs Shocked
donpachi

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

donpachi wrote:
AndyR1960 wrote:

According to the datasheet they should. Have to admit that I omitted this Embarassed I´ll better install at least jumpers between the outputs and sense inputs (minimal configuration without load compensation). It has been running nicely with the sense inputs floating, but I haven´t really challenged it yet with high or fluctuating loads...

AndyR1960 wrote:

My 5 V output is floating, too. No problems so far. The load of my system is roughly 200 mA. As expected, the internal heatsink can easily dissipate this. The frontplate does not get noticeably warm.

Thank you for reminding me to un-float the sense inputs Shocked

After reading the datasheet again, I remember why I left the sense pins unconnected. These are for the 5 V rail ONLY. DO NOT connect them to the 12-15 V bipolar rails! In my system, the 5 V rail, its ground, and the sense pins are not in use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: