electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Etsy Closed My Shop Over MFOS Synth
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
xiwi

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Etsy Closed My Shop Over MFOS Synth Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyone who has a second should check out the story I've posted to my blog about Etsy closing my store and making unfair demands of me to reopen it.

It involved and MFOS Noisetoaster, so I thought this would be an appropriate forum to share.

http://wtfbyrne.tumblr.com/post/50437742387/etsy-accused-me-of-not-assembling-my-synths-by-hand

Thanks
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I read the emails about this and was quite surprised at Etsy's stance. Maybe the quality of work was too high for them? Laughing If it were in a cigar box with sequins glued all over it I doubt you'd have this problem. I don't think people realise how time consuming building this stuff is. Of course it is made by hand!

So, I have emailed Etsy and voiced my opinion for what it is worth. Hope this gets resolved for you soon.
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Screw them. Sell your stuff yourself and forgo their fees. Snooty-looking operation, anyway.
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You have been deemed non-compliant by the system.
Your insistence that you have complied in the face of the systemically obvious evidence presented merely reinforces the determination of your non-compliance.
You are therefore a Non-citizen of that system.
Logic need not apply. Only the logic of the system is accepted.
You must blindly give everything to the system. Divulge everything to the system. Proclaim the perfection of the system. Proselytize for the system. Bow down in obeisance to the system. All Hail The S Y S T E M...
There is only ONE true system. It IS the system as it explains itself. All explanations are modifiable by the system unto the system, and for the system.
All records are stored in the system attic. Forever.
The system owns that which is systematic.
That is the system.
To be a part of the system, one must embrace the system.

You cannot argue with the system.
The system will beat you down to its level, and will assimilate you.
...or ignore you.

It is Vogon.
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have only been to two etsy sites--both by people I know who make and sell hand crafted arts and crafts items. So, from that limited sample, I thought it was an outlet for arts-and-crafts type products--you know, things that are primarily appreciated for how they look, perhaps with some functionality--such as jewelry and quilts.

I don't know if that describes your handicraft, but somewhere a week or so ago I did see a website describing a conference that seemed to focus on the visual aspects of electronic sound producing apparatus. (I will try to find that site.)

Perhaps the etsy folks decided that they wanted to develop that kind of focus. Even so, from your description (I just read the summary, not all the docs), it sucks that they would just close the shop and make new demands that are not part of the original terms.

Perhaps with new projects, you can make visuals, maybe signed shots of solder joints, panels, angular board shots, etc. so when someone gets one of your units, they get some signed prints as well to help appreciate the quality of the handiwork.

"If etsy gives you lemons, add some sugar and water, put it in a nice glass and make lemonade."

Steve
ashleym

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WHat would please them? A picture of you soldering one wire? Or perhaps you using a steam powered soldering iron?

Crafted products dont have to look handmade and shonky. Really what is the problem with a really well HAND built and HAND finished product? My pottery teacher (adult education, dont worry!!) goes mad if we try to make anything too "crafty", she wants us to make the best we can.

I have an idea for you, get Ray's new book and cover it in something to make a new cover and sell it as your own with pictures of you covering it. After all synths are over 20 years old so you can call the book vintage

elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: