electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Voltage controlled counter or 1-to-8-multiplexer?
Page 2 of 2 [35 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
I didn't re-read the datasheet in detail, if the inhibit puts the 4051 outputs into high impedance mode you'll want pull down resistors on the outputs to use the inhibit.

Not necessarily. Yes, if the inputs/outputs are being used to mux/demux logic levels, but if used to select/rout analog levels, as in a sequencer, the non-selected pins don't need termination. The ins/outs of the 4051 are analog switches, like the 4066, so the so-called high impedance state is more like open switches than "floating" digital inputs.

I couldn't find the original posting, but below is a schema using 2x 4051 and a 4029.

psyingo_16step.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.04 KB
 Viewed:  328 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

psyingo_16step.gif

Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This method is much easier. Just one chip for the demux.

Phobos made this schematic for me when I made mine.

16stepseq.bmp
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  16stepseq.bmp
 Filesize:  901.71 KB
 Downloaded:  298 Time(s)

analog_backlash

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

richardc64 wrote:
I couldn't find the original posting, but below is a schema using 2x 4051 and a 4029.

I did look at my schematic today and thought "Did I really need the 4066s?" - obviously not! I built this before I started posting here and I must have learned a few things since then...

Cynosure's/PHOBoS' 4514 solution looks simpler, but this is a gate sequencer, if I've read it correctly, so you would need to add transmission gates in order to produce CVs from this (I think). Please tell me if I'm wrong Very Happy .

Gary
Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The one I built was a gate, but the 4514 outputs Vdd voltage on each step. You can attach a pot to ground on each step instead and use it for CV just like you do with a baby 10.
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Richard, I had my use of the 4051 going backwards, thinking I needed to wire it like the Baby-10. That's excellent.
analog_backlash

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cynosure wrote:
The one I built was a gate, but the 4514 outputs Vdd voltage on each step. You can attach a pot to ground on each step instead and use it for CV just like you do with a baby 10.

Thanks for the clarification Cynosure. I've seen a lot of 8- (or 10-) step sequencers based on 4017s in the past, which do include a 4016/4066 switch in the CV output circuitry. I think that I had this as a default "rule" in my mind. As you say, the Baby 10 works without this, so there's no reason why your circuit shouldn't work this way.

Gary
bunker

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you really want to use the LM3914 why not use it as nature intended? If the 'fade' is the only real issue then why not hook up 8x LED's and 8xLDR's? That way I'm assuming you can tailor the threshold of the LDR circuit so it switches a transistor on/off when the LED is above/below the 'fade' stage? A bit of a faf I know but it's an alternative to more IC's and should be an easier circuit to understand. Do a search for LDR circuits and you should be able to see how you can control the on/off threshold.
beep

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think, I'll use the LM3914 in dot mode, because it does exactly what I want
on one chip with low parts count. I still want to quantize a variable control voltage to a defined scale for organic arpeggios from sample&hold sequences and stuff.

But first I have to build something nice for my girlfriend. it's her birthday this month Very Happy

L´Andratté

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Reminds me of the Doepfer A152 Addressed Switch, which I couldn´t do without... It uses some chips called DG408DJ which seems to be some kind of dedicated 8-stage multiplexer.
http://www.digchip.com/datasheets/parts/dg/parts_dg06.php
Quote from datasheet:"Break-before-make switching action protects against momentary crosstalk between adjacent channels."
They have 2 or 3 in there-

I built my girlfriend an optical metronome, real simple but she´s fond of it with the piano, no more ´tock-tock´
Dave Kendall

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's also the 4067 16-channel mux/demux chip.

cheers,
Dave

Page 2 of 2 [35 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: