electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Chameleon
how to start chameleon - manual required
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
elektromeister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: how to start chameleon - manual required Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello all,

I had bought a chameleon DSP engine for my private music but due to certain facts, I never had the time to use it. Now, i tried to check, if it is still working and found:

"Benchmark FLash" while an arrow starts to move and move ...

Well, I do not remember this behaviour.

Is this correct?

Can it be that the device only needs programming?

I do not find the manual , also on syth.net I only find manuals for the skins, like australis and such,

I do not know how to start.

Can please somebody point me to the manual? - link?

Also: What do I have to do to check if the apparatur s worling?
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't remember having seen the "Benchmark Flash" thing you describe. If you bought it used, perhaps the previous owner had downloaded a test program of sorts?

As you suggest, it could be that it just need reprogramming. The best way to find out if it works is to download a Soundskin.

You can find the Getting Started document with instructions about downloading Soundskins on the Technical documentation page at synth.net.

I hope you get it up and running thumleft
elektromeister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thx for your answer.

No, I got it original - it was only off for some years.

Does it contain a battery which can be exchanged?
DrJustice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are no batteries. Everything is stored in Flash memory.

Do you remember which Soundskin it had installed the last time you switched it on?

In any case, if it displays a message it probably works - I'd just try to reprogram it and see what happens.
elektromeister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok, I will go for it. I will have to find the progging software first.
DrJustice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Soundskins are available as MIDI SYSEX data, so you can use a MIDI sequencer or file player to program the Chameleon. Just load the .MID file into a sequencer track, power up the Chameleon while holding the SHIFT key down, then start the sequencer and the Soundskin should be transfered.
elektromeister

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi! Thanks for the information. I tried and it worked. So the device seems fine.

Well , I downloaded the australis syth, klicked on the *.MID and not on the sys EX, as I though it must be done in order to program the flash, but it worked and flash programing was offered.

Now the australis is running.

But again a question:

Flash programming is a bit sensible, since these devices cannot be rewritten too many times. Is it possible to just program the synth with a skin in the volatile memory RAM, use it without touching the flash?

If not I think I will go with the australis then.
DrJustice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good to hear you have it working! Smile

If you have the ELF file (object file, before it's converted to a MIDI file) then you can do like you ask and download directly to RAM. However, the ELF files aren't normally published since they are what you deal with while you develop and debug.

I wouldn't be too worried about the lifetime of the FLASH device. I don't have the device type and datasheet here, but I'd think it will last for a good few tens of thousands reprogramming cycles.
elektromeister

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

anyway, i think i will keep this synth as the base for my unit.
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Chameleon
Jump to: