electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  EdisonRex Edison's Electronic Review
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
these blinkin' inputs
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
trav

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: these blinkin' inputs Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been playing around lately with chips like the 4512 and 4051. They are very useful for generating melodies: plug an oscillator source into some or all of the 8 inputs, then clock the A B C pins and listen to the common out. What would be useful is visual representation of which channel is selected at any given moment. Is there a way of wiring an LED to each of those 8 inputs so that it only lights when that input is selected?

I can see how to do it by using another 4051 to control the LEDs, but perhaps there is a way without spending a second chip.
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

noep, you'd have to introduce a voltage to the input to light the LED, which may bias or overpower your signal.
Why not put lights on the control inputs and learn to count in binary? Smile
I'm sure there is a binary to 7 segment display converter IC out there too.

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
trav

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

> Why not put lights on the control inputs and learn to count in binary?

Oh, I've done that, and it's fine for simple things like straight counting to eight, but when A B and/or C are getting pseudo-random clocks, or even just when bit order is swapped, it starts to get hard to see what's going on.

I do like the 7-seg display idea! If it's going to take a second chip anyway I'll definitely do one like this
trav

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

looks like I want a 4028 (BCD to decimal decoder) to light LEDs, or a 4511 (BCD to 7-segment decoder) to drive a 7-segment display
trav

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, I tried both. I ended up using a 4543 to drive the 7-seg display, and it works well with the 4051. The 4028, on the other hand, is giving me some trouble. As you can see in the attached video, the 4512 is operating correctly, playing notes 1-8, but during the count I get more than one LED lighting. As I understand the 4028, only one output should be high at any given moment, so why this strange behaviour? Anything to do with sharing the ABC inputs between chips? Each input jack is wired to an LED indicator, to a pulldown resistor, and to the input pin on each chip. This works with the 4543/4051, why not with the 4028/4512?

4543_4028.wmv
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  4543_4028.wmv
 Filesize:  6.44 MB
 Downloaded:  94 Time(s)

trav

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The LEDs on the ABC inputs were drawing too much current. Rather than up the current-limiting resistor values or use transistors I decided to split and buffer the inputs. I rigged up a 4010 hex non-inverting buffer as a triple 1-in 2-out multiplexer. The jack goes into the buffer, then one out powers the indicator and the other out goes to the inputs of the other chips in the circuit.

I quite like this separation of visual and audio signals and may well order a batch of 4010s or 4050s to extend the idea across my lunetta.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: