electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
My Alesis Andromeda A6 VST
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
pollux

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: My Alesis Andromeda A6 VST
Subject description: is open for ideas
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am working on programming an Alesis Andromeda A6 VST. When I am finished with it (hopefully a month or two or three), I will also support VST3, AU, and RTAS, and MAC/Windows/32/64.

This is going to be my solution to the long time problem of Automation the Alesis Andromeda A6. We all know, If we want to automate "KeyTrack" for example, it uses 4 different MIDI NRPN Messages to control just one Parameter -- making automation sometimes impossible, but mainly just difficult (See: http://electro-music.com/forum/post-142872.html)

It works by sending Sysex Messsages directly to the A6 -- so you must have a SysEx Enabled DAW. (Cubase, FL Studio, Reaper, Reason, etc). For the DAW's which do not support SysEx (Ableton Live), I am going to include a Midi CC/NRPN Mode -- which will handle the complex automation of NRPNs for you.

My Alesis Andromeda A6, is an "Effect" VST, not an "Instrument" . It also supports controlling different Mixes/Mix-Channels on the A6. This is a very powerful feature. This means you can have an instance of this plugin on each voice -- set the mix-channel -- and you now have complete control automation over each of the 16 Presets in a Mix!

Here's what I have so far. It's an old screenshot. I'm already developing a Visual GUI, which uses the look of the actual A6 Knobs, and A6 Synth.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

I will be contacting people who have demonstrated themselvs to be knowledgeable with the A6 --- to be Beta Testers. ( Unless you're Tiesto or Armin -- in that case, you can have the src code and compile it yourself, for an autographed CD or whatever Razz )

I need suggestions from all us A6 Synth Programmers! What features would you like to see in the VST? And what features do you hate menu-diving for?

Last edited by pollux on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:26 am; edited 6 times in total
Helge Kautz

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Suggestion: Have you looked at this free project here?

http://ctrlr.org/

If you are going to make a GUI, this project may alleviate lots of groundwork for you. All the MIDI communication routines and graphical stuff should already be in it.

And as an added bonus, the resulting GUI will be multi-platform (Win, Mac, VST, AU)

Cheers,
Helge
pollux

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am coding my own GUI from Scratch, but this looks way cleaner, and full of fancy GUI Controls. Thanks for the resource! Very Happy Seems easy to implement, which is no problem, because I know all languages Very Happy
Last edited by pollux on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Steinklopfer

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: go for it Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"which is no biggie because I know them all" wave go on...you're the nerd we're looking for Smile
pollux

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lol Razz

If enough people show an interest in this, I will eventually release it, and hope that people will make some new unique patches with it.

P.S. I love and prefer trading --- unique recorded or sampled drum samples, unique samples, autographs, etc, Im open to suggestions Twisted Evil Razz

Last edited by pollux on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
pollux

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Edit:
Here's a quick, gritty sound I dialed in with my VST. Nothing special -- but you can hear me editing some stuff in real-time. Very very valuable asset to have for producing.

http://puu.sh/3CtUh.mp3
Steinklopfer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I'm just one person, but I definitely got interest in it. You got some new screenshots of the gui? Greets
pollux

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not at the moment. I just took a picture of an A6, and Photoshopped all the knobs away, so It looks like a clean slate A6 with no knobs ---- and then my vst will add it's own knobs that look like Andy Knobs. So far, on this new gui, I only have a few knobs added (Out of 100+?)

It's really tedious, I have to specifically position the knobs on the layout, manually, adjusting the coordinates one pixel at a time, until It's in the right spot Razz So It'll be a month or two before I'll probably finish the GUI --- but I am going to keep a separate version that uses the default controls and look of whatever DAW you're in.

Cheers

P.S. I am still looking for peoples input, on what they think the most 'important' knobs should be. Like -- when I release a beta of this thing, rather than have 150 knobs, I want it to have only the most important ones / hardest to automate

EDIT:

Slowly, but surely, a shitty looking GUI is coming along. Lol. Last call for user input on what knobs should be on this layout. Once I add a knob, its a BITCH to move it. Moving one means I need to move all the other ones, PIXEL BY PIXEL. So Im going this once Razz

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
goldphinga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any quick ways to set up modulations and easily setup say and aftertouch routing would be amazing....
pollux

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I didnt plan on adding modulation options.......because programming that would make me pull my hair out.......but now that I think about it, If I can come up with a simple design -- which kind of works like a 'global' modulation editor...I think I could make it happen.

I.E. You plug in a number which represents something, and then enter a second number (which also represents something), and then click route....and It would setup the routing. I could probably do this.....but It will be the last thing I add Embarassed

I intended this plugin to be a simple way to automate & control certain parameters -- after you've created a patch on the Andromeda, and you want to automate difficult (ex. KeyTrack) parameters within a DAW...I didn't really intend for this program to be a full fledged replication of the A6...but we will see!
RETRIVOX

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is this thread dead? Hope it's not!..
junosound

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am very interested in this as well and would be willing to pay for it.
To me personally the GUI wouldn't need to be fancy. It'd sure be very nice but having an editor in the first place is more important to me Wink
If all parameter even in the submenues and Andromeda's settings could be edited (if this is even possible) this would be an absolute power tool and I'd stretch my wallet even further Wink
untinyunity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hope this thread is not dead!

Would love an editor for the old andy. Im still to be considered a beginner on the a6, but if this means to be able to recall and control 16 channels in my DAW, its good news.

Then I would love to see control over the fx section and routings as well Smile
Synthwall

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: vst andromeda routings to lfo filter and osc
Subject description: wouold be nice to have the routings available on vst controls
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the andromeda can be very sensitive with the jumping knobs, it makes it terrible to tweak the value of the functions in the routings
lfo to filter controls would be nce to have as vst control
not specificly for automation but for building patches
also the sequencer is time consuming to program with the sensitive jumping softpods
great work allready
grtz
happy 2014
beesting

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would love a VST editor for the Andy!
ProFete

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am very interested in this as well and would be willing to pay for it, me too
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: