electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Do you really need TWO VCAs?
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
jukingeo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Do you really need TWO VCAs? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello all,

I had this question that had been bugging me since I first found the MFOS website and was browsing through all the modules and other projects on the site.

One thing that caught my curiosity was the module that has two VCAs. I also noticed that this is repeated on the Synth Experimenters board.

Now, while I am far from an expert in creating sounds on a synth, I have been exposed to them in the past. I have also repaired some vintage synths. Generally I have seen synths with two or even more VCO's and LFO's. On the rare occasion I have seen synths with two VCF's. However, I never came across a vintage synth that had two VCA's. The ARP 2600 was one of the larger synths I worked on and it too only had one VCA.

I generally accepted the VCA as the last stage in which you could control the volume using a envelope generator, or LFO. So outside of doing some strange pseudo stereo panning effects, I can't see why one would need more than one VCA in a synth.

If indeed there is a great advantage to having two VCA's I would like to know what they would be.

Thank You,

Geo
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 87

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi again Smile

There are many uses for 2nd , 3rd 4 and more vcas when patching sounds, have a look at ray's delayed modulation project for one use of a second vca , patching a 2nd vca - controled by an envelope, like his circuit, gives an lfo modulation a slow or fast fade in effect.
Also a handy pre-amp for a thin highpass or bandpass filtered sound.
And lots of other permutations for crazy sounds.

Dave.

PHOBoS

Audio files: 351

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah there's dave, somehow I expected you to reply Very Happy
yeah 2 VCA"s isn't that much, I've noticed that when patching I first leave out the VCA's and then look for places where adjusting the CV level
has a nice effect. I then wire these signals through a VCA. (So I often use them for CV's instead of audio signals)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 40

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is for a modular system where any configuration is possible. you are only thinking of a standard pre configured synth.

Here are some examples of vca use within the circuit instead of just at the end:

-Vca with an envelope to modulate lfo signal so the amount of lfo modulation changes over time The is useful to make vibrato that slowly gains in intensity. Some synths actually have this built in but it isnt labelled as a vca so it isnt obvious.

-FM synthesis. Using a vca and evelope to create a modulator similar to above but starting open and fading out.

-Adding noise to percussive sounds. Things like kick drums often have more punch with a little burst of noise.

-KS synthesis using a vca to add a noise or sound burst.

These are just some common examples but with a modular the possibilites are endless.
jukingeo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cynosure wrote:
This is for a modular system where any configuration is possible. you are only thinking of a standard pre configured synth.

True, most of the synths I were exposed to were not true full modulars. They were either fixed configuration synths or semi-modulars. Quite a few did have patch out points, but pretty much all were 'all in one' synth packages.

Quote:

Here are some examples of vca use within the circuit instead of just at the end:

-Vca with an envelope to modulate lfo signal so the amount of lfo modulation changes over time The is useful to make vibrato that slowly gains in intensity. Some synths actually have this built in but it isnt labelled as a vca so it isnt obvious.

-FM synthesis. Using a vca and evelope to create a modulator similar to above but starting open and fading out.

-Adding noise to percussive sounds. Things like kick drums often have more punch with a little burst of noise.

-KS synthesis using a vca to add a noise or sound burst.

These are just some common examples but with a modular the possibilites are endless.

Interesting. Something to keep in mind.

Thanx for the input.

Geo
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: