electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Question about EMU Proteus/MoPhatt sound editing features...
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
patrickvf1976

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Question about EMU Proteus/MoPhatt sound editing features... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have this MoPhatt sitting around collecting dust and decided to take it for a spin. I have a question about the patchchord system - I couldn't find any way to patch the oscillators to anything in order to accomplish something like oscillator sync, FM, filter-FM, etc.. am I missing something or is it just not capable of doing those kind of connections? If not are there any OS hacks to make this possible? Or are these features hidden somewhere?
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

None of the emu modules can do audio modulation as far as I'm concerned. They are quite capable otherwise in their modulation routings, but almost without exception require a bit of work to make them sound interesting. The presets are uninspiring across the board imo.

I have never heard of any alternative os hacks for them, and even if that were the case I doubt there would be the processing power to do audio modulation. You have to take these boxes for what they are, advanced sample playback synths with a fair bit of hidden potential. Be prepared to put some work into it, and use an editor if possible.

patrickvf1976

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are there any hardware samplers that can do crossmodulation/FM/Sync between samples? I was thinking if somehing like an Ensoniq ESQ on can do "Oscillator-sync" between sampled waveforms then there has to be a sampler that can do that too.. can anyone give me some suggestions for affordable samplers that can do this?
robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Nord Wave can do it. As far as I know, it is limited to a sample modulating one of the virtual oscillators. Or maybe it was the other way around.

I can't think of any others right now... Well, Kyma can, but I don't know if that qualifies as hardware.

Sorry if I came across as a bit patronizing in my previous post, I have a Proteus 2k and recently put it away because I got fed up with its limitations... I may take it out again at some point, follow my own advice and dig deeper.

patrickvf1976

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No worries, you didn't seem to come across that way to me. The proteus 2K type romplers have pretty awesome features for what they are - over 128 filter styles, decent FX, extensive modulation feature via Patchchord feature (except DCO/Sample xmod), great arpeggiator... same features as my Mo'Phatt, it's totally worth digging in. Oh, yeah and I found out there are (sampled) waveforms to build your own sounds from Smile... I wonder if EMU ever came up with a post-Emulator/Emax sampler that has the mighty features of the proteus 2K... Keeping my eyes peeled for a proteus 2500 tho (16 controllers, flexible sequencer 24 bit output, better MIDI...)

PS: The ESI32 has a feature called 'Transform Multiply (Harmonic Sample Morphing) - what exactly does it do? Interpolate between samples? Any sound examples, please?
robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well the E4 series samplers do exactly that, and more. They go for peanuts some times on the second hand market, as samplers tend to lose value more than synths do. The P2k has around 50 filter types, I can't remember how many the various samplers has.

patrickvf1976 wrote:
PS: The ESI32 has a feature called 'Transform Multiply (Harmonic Sample Morphing) - what exactly does it do? Interpolate between samples? Any sound examples, please?

That is Emu's version of cross synthesis, or convolution as it is also called. Unfortunately it's not real time but it is still very useful for creating new sounds. I have no sounds samples to point to but I'm sure there are some out there.

Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: