electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Building Blocks
Multiple Drummers
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Multiple Drummers Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This patch contains eight variations with different rhythms and sounds. Try them out!

This is an idea I got for making sequences that, when played, give the impression of several drummers, one drum each, hammering out a persistent rhythm. It's the kind where a drum may be struck on every 16th note, but the varied intensity shapes the rhythm.

In this patch, this is accomplished by adding voices. A level set in the sequencer will determine the probability that a voice will strike its drum on that step. If the level is set at maximum, all voices will strike, if set at minimum no drums will be struck, if set in the middle, on average half of the voices will strike their drums on that step, sometimes more, sometimes less.

The modulation knob on the module labeled "inaccuracy" determines the amount of random time offset that will make one drummer lag behind the others slightly, dispersing the drum sounds in time and creating a fuller drum sound. Setting this to zero will make the rhythm sound more machine-like, non-zero settings will make it sound more human.

The module labeled "pitch diversion" will make the drums for each voice sound detuned in respect to each other.

I see this more like a template, that's why I'm posting here. This patch uses the G2's drum synth module, but you can put anything in there, and modulate it using the level sequencer, voice count or other things.

This patch uses 10 voices, which takes up two slots. If you want a more massive drum sound, just add more voices. One thing to note though is that as you add voices the low level settings in the sequencer are more lilkely to cause sound. To create some subtlety you may in that case want to modulate sequencer level -> drum amp. I didn't add amplitude modulation because I figure that a drum is generally struck in an unsubtle way.

Multiple_Drummers_SB.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Multiple_Drummers_SB.pch2
 Filesize:  1.67 KB
 Downloaded:  4505 Time(s)

varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is an excellent patch idea that clearly demonstrates the importance of varying the timing and the pitch of percussive voices to get a more “human” feel to a rhythm track. The layering of voices also adds to possible volume changes for each step, another very important factor.

It just so happens that I have been working on a G2 emulation of a popular percussion synthesizer module. This patch makes it shine Exclamation

I have modified your patch into a G2 Demo Software friendly version for the benefit of those without G2 hardware:

MultiDrummerDemo.pch2
 Description:
A G2 Demo Software friendly version of Multiple Drummers

Download
 Filename:  MultiDrummerDemo.pch2
 Filesize:  6.09 KB
 Downloaded:  4274 Time(s)

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome that you found it useful in this way - thanks! Very Happy

And good call on making a patch for the demo! I should have thought of that - it's quite possible that there are just as many active users of the demo as the hardware these days (or some day).

Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Building Blocks
Jump to: