electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Introduce Yourself
Hello.. I'm Tune-Unit
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Intro_Spectral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Hello.. I'm Tune-Unit
Subject description: An introduction to Me
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From the beginning...

I am TuneUnit... that is I have adopted the name and persona of TuneUnit... so where to begin?
I have always had a pretty hard time making music. or at least since getting into electronic music.. before that I was playing a lot of guitar Smile

So what has been difficult?

Mainly the road to the realization that my music is MY music and that there are NO right and wrongs if I don't want there to be. NO rules that I don't want to have and NO given way to tell the sonic tales I want to tell...

So... why was this a difficult realization that took about 8 years to reach? seems kinda obvious when you look at it...

But there are the cultural boundaries to be broken, the Internal taboos, doubts and all around feelings of not having the right to be different... because being different have always been like a battle cry for me. I have always felt the feeling of not fitting in, of being different... so I took great Pride in being different.. made the difference mine, controlling the difference...

But what good is being different when all one wants is to be part of, to fit in, to have his place? sure, one can be part of being different, but that was not my road. I always felt alone to some extent.. not in every regards of course.. my life is not that of a self-pitying narcissist... I am no Werhter... I am pretty happy with my life and have never let the situations of life have the best of me.. well I might have in the past.. but that is in the past.

I am in no way lonely, I have a loving wife and a pretty tiny son Very Happy ... But i'm sidetracking now... I have a tendency towards sidetracking..
I am a storyteller that lacks the discipline of arrangement.. or is the arrangement missing me? do I need arrangement? yes to some extent.. but need it be familiar? I guess it helps Razz

So why have I struggled with what may seem so easy... to make a long story short, I never understood that MY music is MINE to control, I make up the rules and the this and that.. that I can tell my stories MY way...

You see, that's the thing, when people ask "what kind of music do you make?" I always feel like a pretentious douche answering "oh it's so difficult to say, I don't make music that fits any genre"...
But that is it.. I don't feel any genre is sufficient to express myself... even the notion of genre is kind of weird to me... Or not weird.. I totally get it, from a consumer point of view,.. I have nothing against genres.
But it's just boxes to store music that have stuff in common,.. like it might be practical to store socks in one drawer and shirts in another,. makes what your looking for easier to find Smile

But music for me, from a "making of" point of view, has nothing to do with genres.. and why should it? I don't know, but I have always assumed that it had to... that there where right and wrongs out there that others knew about.. that the rules of Music was written by others.. or maybe they where like forces of nature? whatever they where, it was not my place to try to change it, to make my own music was sort of "not on the map"
At best I had the option to make music in the weirdest genres I could find, or when that didn't work out for me I thought.. It is my skillz.. they are to low... I need to be a BETTER producer.. THEN I will be able to make music ...

And sure..
I got skillz alright... but my doubts grew bigger and my ability to make music grew thinner.. couz now, not only did I have the restraints in genre.. I had the restraint in how to use the tools... because I treated these skillz just the same way.. thru the notion that they where not my skills to use how I saw fit, and to apply them in order to tell MY stories. That I was just borrowing them.
No... I was now more self-conscious then ever... and now I saw only the option to make the most proficient, exquisite, intricate, detailed and technically superior music there ever was... I never even came close to achieving this goal... thank god, it would have probably killed me.. and as someone said, and I don't remember whom, so I'm paraphrasing "If you aim at making music that only focus on technical superiority.. as soon as someone got more skillz than you, you are obsolete" ... crude, I know.. but somewhat true... Depending on tricks and skills alone is not the way.. at least not my way, I highly admire skill and determination and focus. and I depend on it myself to some extent.. I just don't put all my coins on that horse Smile

Have I sidetracked again or is this text exactly on track.. I guess it must be on track... it is My text and I say it is Very Happy

And it pretty much didn't hit me until I became a father some time ago... Why do I care what some nameless "others" think of my use of audio to tell my stories? do I really need "their" permission to tell them? does the existence of countless genres in the world leave no room for my own sonic adventures? I choose to no longer answer these questions with a "Yes".... I say Nay!!! because now that I KNOW that I have a choice, that I know that the questions above exist.. I see that they don't serve me at all but instead hold me back... I was holding myself back.. I just projected my fears onto external factors...

So get ready WORLD because i have some stories to tell and I ain't no longer afraid to tell them Smile

So that is it Smile or the beginig of "it"
Hope you have a good day.

//TuneUnit
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome Tune-Unit

hmm ... soundcloud wont work here ... it used t on iThingies ... oh well.

Intro_Spectral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank You Smile

http://www.facebook.com/IntroSpectral
www.introspectral.com
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lovely introduction - belated welcome

Ah the eternal discussion about genres... we're pattern-matching machines, and there are rights and wrongs, but these may turn into wrongs and rights in another time, or another room.

klangumsetzer

Audio files: 32

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome tune-unit!

sounds familar. there is only music.
when asked i tell people that i make 'funny noises'. Laughing

Eike
Intro_Spectral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: :D Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank's Smile

"i tell people that i make 'funny noises'."
That is a good tip Smile

www.introspectral.com
A E J O T Z

Audio files: 148

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I love "Shimmer Me Timmer." It's melodic, multi-layered, polyrhythmic and fun. Right up my alley.

More! Give me more!

free albums at http://aejotz.bandcamp.com
listen to genre-defying synthetic music at http://sat-5.com
Intro_Spectral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A E J O T Z wrote:
I love "Shimmer Me Timmer." It's melodic, multi-layered, polyrhythmic and fun. Right up my alley.

More! Give me more!

Thank you Smile

that tune was part of a chip-suite I made a few years ago, there apears to be none other left... atleast I cant find the others Razz

I uploaded an other tune that you might/might not enjoy... It's melodic, multi-layered, polyrhythmic and fun ;D

https://soundcloud.com/mroakleaf/hooverboard-or-die

www.introspectral.com
A E J O T Z

Audio files: 148

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great stuff. I like it!

I'm on my "hooverboard" now!

free albums at http://aejotz.bandcamp.com
listen to genre-defying synthetic music at http://sat-5.com
Intro_Spectral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A E J O T Z wrote:
Great stuff. I like it!

I'm on my "hooverboard" now!

Great Very Happy

As we all should be Wink

www.introspectral.com
Johan Zwart

Audio files: 19
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice introduction. Smile I just enjoyed "The Weird Side of the Mundane".
Like the caleidoscopic nature of it.

Intro_Spectral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you Smile It is a rather enjoyable experience... weird, but enjoyable.
I actually just got home from my first ever live performance of it Wink that was rather cool

www.introspectral.com
Maxa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds really familiar!
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Introduce Yourself
Jump to: