electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Microcontrollers and Programmable Logic
electric druid VCDO
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
soundworker

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject: electric druid VCDO
Subject description: programming PIC16F1847
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,
just started to develope a PCB by my own. But this project stuck because I cant´t burn this new PIC.
I use an JDM Programmer with PICPgm. To burn a 16F88 work fine but Pic1847 makes trouble. PICPgm alway stops because of to much errors.
Ich reduce MCLR voltages to 8 V (instead of 13V) because Pic1847 isn´t a real high voltes - Pic1847 is in between...
Any idea for help or programmer that work.

best Willi
AT

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: electric druid VCDO
Subject description: programming PIC16F1847
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

soundworker wrote:
Hi,
just started to develope a PCB by my own. But this project stuck because I cant´t burn this new PIC. (snipped)
Any idea for help or programmer that work.

best Willi

I made a PCB layout for this too (3 x 5 inches). I have a little bit left where I swapped out large BAT diodes for the SMT type, which I need to reconfigure and it should work fine once built.

I burned 2 chips successfully using a PICKit II clone programmer that I got on ebay from http://www.piccircuit.com/shop/ specifically, http://www.piccircuit.com/shop/pic-programmer/56-ica03-usb-pic-programmer-set.html , about $27 USD.

I had to download some extra templates or settings to get the 16F1847 to work, these were mentioned in the ebay listing at the time.

Robert
soundworker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Robert,
I take a look at PICKit, I think it´s fine for me too.
Which software do you us to burn?
Diodes are optional, therefore I din´t care of them. Original schematic says optional for SMD? What ever it means.
Do you developed your pcb with Eagel, because mine isn´t finished.

willi
AT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

soundworker wrote:
Hi Robert,
I take a look at PICKit, I think it´s fine for me too.
Which software do you us to burn?
Diodes are optional, therefore I din´t care of them. Original schematic says optional for SMD? What ever it means.
Do you developed your pcb with Eagel, because mine isn´t finished.

willi

I use Microchip's PICKit II software to burn the chips, and it lacked the template for this newer chip, thus my need to add it. I run it in Parallels 7 in my iMac.

To do PCB layouts, I use Osmond PCB for Mac OS X. Not sure what format Eagle can intake, or if they can cross talk. I did each page as a sub-circuit, helped me since there are a lot of things going on. So, it's not the prettiest thing, looks like 6 rides at a theme park. The power connection area is not complete either I don't think. Was wanting to finish up the 'stock' areas of my PICSynth before I got back to it.

In this attach, part guides are also not yet deleted, would cause shorts if left in. Top is filter area. Bottom is ADC input area. Middle is PIC central, and left and right are Spare CV and Wave CV input areas.

rc

DCO PCB v8 Alpha .png
 Description:
Mostly complete pcb of DCVCO
 Filesize:  113.72 KB
 Viewed:  11216 Time(s)

DCO PCB v8 Alpha .png

soundworker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you,
when I burned PIC, I hope to finish my pcb layout. I´m working with 3 HE and always mount 5 pots on surface of pcb, because of easy wiring. Frontpanel is made of thin steelplate with lasercutter.
Look for "Tube VCA" at you tube.

willi
fitzgreyve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: PIC16F1847 with JDM Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've managed to program the VCDO PIC16F1847 with a cheap Chinese JDM (serial portt ) programmer and the latest version of PICPGM and have a fully working VCDO.

BUT:

1. I modified the JDM to reduce the Vpp voltage - the standard JDM has a programming voltage of up to 13.5v - anything over 9v will fry the PIC16f1847. The mod consist of putting a 3v3 zener diode in parallel with the existing 8v2 zener on the programmer board. If you don't understand why you need to do this or how it works, probably better not to try it.

2. It's very "variable" - it took 2 or 3 attempts to program the first (working) 1847 (verify errors) and required PICPGM to be set to it's slowest hardware setting. Can't get another two 1847 chips to program successfully so far) at any setting.

regards,
Mark
soundworker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: VCDO works Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I nearly finished my prototype DCO:
PCB is ready with minor bugs, but works now.
Burning PIC16F1847 is really easy. You need PCIKit2 and associated SW from Mikrochip and burning is fun and easy.
The DCO sounds good. It remember me a bit on PPG 2.3.
Wave shaping is fun and with SubOszi it sounds very static and electric, good, a real difference to analog VCO´s. Big surprise was Bit-crusher. It´s a great source for pulses and added sound source never expected.
Thanks to our master "Electric Druid".

Gruss willi
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Microcontrollers and Programmable Logic
Jump to: