electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Another ARP2600 Clone on it's way...
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 4 [100 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Broadwave

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Another ARP2600 Clone on it's way... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just a teaser, but I'm well underway with my 2600EX clone (expanded... take a peek at the VCO's) Very Happy

I'll backtrack on the initial build later, but I'm just to excited at the moment to sit down and write up a synopsis of what I've done so far.

This is in no way competition to the TTSH project, as it's a one off that's taken 5 years to get this far!!

More to come...

IMG_2597.JPG
 Description:
Basic cabinet build with laser cut and two colour screen printed panel
 Filesize:  329.81 KB
 Viewed:  521 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

IMG_2597.JPG

IMG_2600.JPG
 Description:
Full VCO's with sync (OSC 1 to 2 &3)
 Filesize:  330.1 KB
 Viewed:  458 Time(s)

IMG_2600.JPG

IMG_2603.JPG
 Description:
VCO 1, 2 & 3 "Carrier" PCB's
 Filesize:  255.04 KB
 Viewed:  451 Time(s)

IMG_2603.JPG

LFLab

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice panel!
100% size or scaled down like the ttsh?
xpmtl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow this is a really nice beast !

congrats

Now if someone could clone the odyssey Smile

Broadwave

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LFLab wrote:
Nice panel!
100% size or scaled down like the ttsh?

Just slightly down on the actual size by 12mm. I wasn't after a smaller version, but like the TTSH I could only get 45mm sliders, so careful realignment of the graphics was needed in order not to look "wrong" for the full size panel (having the extra two PWM sliders helped Smile )

@xpmtl - An Oddy clone will be on it's way, once this is done Wink
isak

Audio files: 18

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AMAZING WORK!!!!!
WOW Andy, you always surpris me Smile
Damn that's looking good!

2thick4uni

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Absolutely amazing, what a beauty thumb up

How did you do the panel graphics? They look very professional indeed....
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi. I was admiring your panel and wanted to get some ideas on how to do cutouts for sliders. I am not really a DIYer, though I have dabbled a little. I don't have tools, but I much prefer sliders to knobs. I have gotten as far as setting up a bank of sliders on circuit boards, but I have no ideas on how to make a panel with cutouts for the sliders. So, I am wondering how you do it, what tools you need, etc. Also, any tips, suggestions, links to how-to-make-slider-cutout sites would be appreciated Thanks.
Steve

diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

not sure how andy has done his panel however it looks to be professionally milled and finished.
when i do cutouts for sliders i use a 3 horsepower router and rig up some custom guides to keep it all straight . Bit size i use is 3/16 for 3mm thick material but you could probably go down to a 1/8 bit if the panel was say only 1.6mm thick. Preparation is the key here . it takes a lot of time to DIY
this sort of thing properly unless of course you have access to a cnc mill or an industrial laser cutter ?
otherwise you are down to drilling, cutting with a dremel or other small cutting wheel implement and a lot of filing , which never seems to come out all that great.

as good an answer as any
Broadwave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I did all the panel graphics in Adobe Illustrator - 3 layers:

1. Laser cuts
2. Orange graphics
3. White graphics

I had the panel Laser Cut in 1.5mm Mild Steel, by Cutting Technologies in Barnsley, UK (£120.00). Then it was powder coated in satin black by Ashton Powder Coating, Manchester (£35.00), and finally a two colour screen print by MRT in Stockport (£145.00).

MDF was cut at B&Q (£28.00), Tolex, glue and case hardware came in at £53.00

So, the cabinet and panel alone came in at a total of £381.00

I have most of the components I need, just a few odd value resistors, caps and trannies to get.

The main problem I had was the size of the PCB's I could make, as my UV box can only take a maximum board size of 250 x 150mm (which is why the VCO's are on separate boards).

Busy today with the 4012 VCF... having a problem with the CV inputs at the moment - not able to scale the keyboard CV to 1v/Oct, so I'll probably have to fiddle with a few resistor values to bring it all in line Sad

Thanks for all the kind comments, much appreciated.
NoizeToyz

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Man that looks amazing - nice one. I'll have to check out those companies for panel manufacture.

I've never used Tolex before - do you need to heat shrink it on?
Broadwave

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

NoizeToyz wrote:

I've never used Tolex before - do you need to heat shrink it on?

I wish it was that easy Smile

Evo-Stick Contact adhesive is the best (not the spray on stuff... it's dreadful).

Luckily we've had great weather recently, so I've been able to do all the glueing outside.

Finishing the cab today, and hopefully mount the panel and fit some of the modules.

I've sorted out the problem with the VCF (ARP service manual wrong again!!!), but I'm not sure if I like the 4012... sounds a bit too aggressive, so I may put in a 4072 instead.
steffensen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looking really good Andy! Amazing job you've done there.
adnauseam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: 2600EX Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks awesome! party!

The 2600 is gaining some PR due to this and the other TTSH project.

I'm really glad there's folks with patience to resurrect the classics.

Keep up the good work and can't wait to hear lots of samples!
Baloo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

awesome!!!!!!!
This thread is pulling to me for building a modular clone synth.
zthee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks fantastic! Great build!

AndyR1960 wrote:
I've sorted out the problem with the VCF (ARP service manual wrong again!!!).

The trimmer should be right after R145, not summing everything through it?

Broadwave

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

zthee wrote:

The trimmer should be right after R145, not summing everything through it?

It was the trimmer that was wrong... My service manual shows a 250 Ohm trimmer after summing - having a look around I found an amendment (for the 4072 VCF) showing an 88.7K resistor followed by a 25k trimmer, and not summed with the general CV inputs.

I've removed the 4012 and replaced it with a 4075... the inverter and level shifter are on a piece of strip board to bring it up to 4072 specs... very happy with it.

Working on the waveshapers tomorrow (the original PCB is way too big to get 3 of them in, so I need to shrink them down a bit)
Broadwave

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Completed the cabinet and mounted the PSU Smile

Preamp, Envelope Follower, Ring Modulator, VCO's/Waveshapers and VCF all completed and working great.

Spent way too much time with the slider LEDs!! I usually use a 1.8k resistor for 15v, but the stock green LED on the slider is far too bright (don't fancy being blinded by 57 of them)... Took a leaf from my Odyssey Lumina upgrade and swapped out the R's for 27k - much better.

By a happy accident I found that the slider LEDs are removable, so I've purchased a bunch of 4x3mm blue LEDs to see what they look like.

Today, I'll be drawing up some of the remaining PCB's for the Amp/Env/Mixer.
isak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that's cool Andy.

do you print the Arp boards?
if you do will you sell them in the future?
if yes i will definitely will want all Smile

adnauseam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Arp Boards Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@isak

I believe zthee, who has recently posted in this thread, is currently in the process of ironing out the prototypes for such boards. The plan is to have panels available as well.

See this link:
http://thehumancomparator.net/

ETA September/October when I last heard

Broadwave

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@isak - Sorry, but I won't be doing much after this build... I desperately need a break Smile

I may put a PDF together with complete details and PCB foils for all the "carrier" boards and 40 series modules (along with corrections to the ARP service manual - quite a few mistakes there!)

I'm off on holiday a week tomorrow for 14 days, but I'm forging ahead hoping to get it completed before I go.

IMG_2630.JPG
 Description:
Testing the wave shapers - nice Triangle and Sine... can't get rid of the glitch, but the original VCO's have that too
 Filesize:  219.69 KB
 Viewed:  338 Time(s)

IMG_2630.JPG

IMG_2634.JPG
 Description:
Saw and Square waves... No problems here : )
 Filesize:  224.36 KB
 Viewed:  321 Time(s)

IMG_2634.JPG

IMG_2663.JPG
 Description:
LED's on the VCF section - much better with 27k (waiting for the blue ones)
 Filesize:  410.05 KB
 Viewed:  343 Time(s)

IMG_2663.JPG

IMG_2672.JPG
 Description:
Just a few more boards to do... The keyboard is something I did a few years back, needs rebuilding into a decent case.
 Filesize:  255.47 KB
 Viewed:  386 Time(s)

IMG_2672.JPG

isak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Andy.
Quote:

I may put a PDF together with complete details and PCB foils for all the "carrier" boards and 40 series modules (along with corrections to the ARP service manual - quite a few mistakes there!)

That's would be great man.
Your doing more then amazing job!
Have a great vacation, you absolutely need it Wink

Thank you for everything!

adnauseam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Arp 2600ex Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So cool.

Nice work!
isak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Arp Boards Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

adnauseam wrote:
@isak

I believe zthee, who has recently posted in this thread, is currently in the process of ironing out the prototypes for such boards. The plan is to have panels available as well.

See this link:

Thanks for the input.
without underestimate no one (sorry if its sound like that) my heart goes with Andy and his great work.

LFLab

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fantastic build!
adnauseam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Arp Boards Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

isak wrote:
adnauseam wrote:
@isak

See this link:

Thanks for the input.
without underestimate no one (sorry if its sound like that) my heart goes with Andy and his great work.

Yeah, my apologies

In NO way am I downplaying all the love and hard work you've put into your project! It looks AWESOME, Andy. I wish I could fiddle with her sliders right now.

Do you think I'll have any problem building one as my first project? Smile

I soldered lots way back in high school and I'm pretty sure I'll get any logic down pat, but it's the electronics formulas and testing I imagine will give me trouble.

Any plans for another fantastic retro build?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 4 [100 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: