electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Simmons SDS 3 - DIY?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 13 of 14 [345 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13, 14 Next
arnoid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice pcb Jmejia did you add the run generator ?
jmejia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sweet! Thanks - I'll give it a shot!
jmejia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh and arnoid - no we are leaving the run generator alone for the moment. Either none of us have gotten it to work right - or it's just not that interesting. It could always be an add-on pcb if someone wants to tackle it! I'm not personally that interested in it...
xpmtl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Populated that today.

Few things to iron out (noise is not working)... And i'll need to make another prototype as i wired the decay pot backwards again Rolling Eyes

More debugging to come Laughing

EDIT : Fixed the noise problem, apparently BC547 doesn't work for the noise circuit here, it does on my thru-hole prototype. Very odd.

I've replace it with a 2N3904 and it works. (Tim i'll send you those in replacement)

IMG_0331.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  895.92 KB
 Viewed:  812 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  743.5 KB
 Viewed:  779 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

IMG_0332.jpg

Last edited by xpmtl on Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:43 am; edited 1 time in total
jmejia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks great xpmtl!

Just sent our prototype gerbers to the fab yesterday. Will update once we get a few boards back!
nuipb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks really incredible !
congratulations !!
THeff

Audio files: 33

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice clean layout xpmtl!

Four of those PCBs side by side would make a great SDS-3 package.

Great work!

Regards,

-Theff
xpmtl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thankies !

That was my initial plan Smile (I got 5 pcbs from iTead)

If only I didn't screwed up with the decay pot it would have been perfect Embarassed

Having the shortest decay on CW is a bit odd but i think i'll live with that. I'll just correct this issue for the gerbers i'll share.

I'll send the front panel design to engraving this week so i can test if it fits.

x.

Heavy Metal Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks good!
nuipb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't remember reading this info in the thread but what is format you are planning to be build it for ? Stand alone ? Doepfer ? SDS-V ? other ?...
xpmtl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think jmejia is doing an universal board that will work for all formats, an I think he will sell those.

Mine is 1U MOTM format, but i won't sell them. All the info and gerbers files are free to download on my site (sdiy.xpmtl.net). You'll have to send the gerbers to a fab house and source/populate the boards yourself.

Cheers,

x.

diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Mine is 1U MOTM format, but i won't sell them. All the info and gerbers files are free to download on my site (sdiy.xpmtl.net). You'll have to send the gerbers to a fab house and source/populate the boards yourself.

very nice layout xpmtl
MOTM format should work well for me
great work.

as good an answer as any
nuipb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK thanks. Hopefully I find someone with the knowledge to build one for me. I can barely resolder a bad cable...
What are the different voltages required from the power supply ?
arnoid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

xpmtl wrote:
I think jmejia is doing an universal board that will work for all formats, an I think he will sell those.

Cheers,

x.

Is it possible to make a sound demo of your version ? Smile

xpmtl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nuipb wrote:

+/-15VDC

xpmtl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

arnoid wrote:
Is it possible to make a sound demo of your version ? Smile

As soon as i got the frontpanel done, i'll try to make one.

nuipb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

xpmtl wrote:
nuipb wrote:

+/-15VDC

Then I guess it cannot be installed in a Doepfer system right ? They supply at most 12v as far as I know...
jmejia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We should get our protos soon and are planning on testing with +/-12 in addition to +/-15 to see if it works - but nuipb, it sounds like 12 is working fine per xpmtl.

We have a euro connector on the board, as well as an MOTM connector, but no pcb-mount components, and no real consideration to mounting or pcb size apart from some arbitrary mounting screw holes in the corner. So it'll be DIY in terms of getting it to fit in whatever your system is.

We'll sell pcbs, but we'll also make our layout available.
nuipb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK thanks. Looking forward to hear about your further tests then...
jmejia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
xpmtl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice board!

what size is it? looks small

jmejia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks! It's 102.57x83.82 mm (about 4" by 3.30")

Waiting on some parts still to populate and test.
jmejia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Small update here. Our prototype has some issues and is not oscillating. Noise, envelope, trigger and lfo circuits seem to be working.. although the grounding pots don't seem to remove either the noise nor the lfo.

We recycled the ca3046s and the jfets from our first rev.. so first order of troubleshooting is ordering fresh parts and trying them out. More on that front soon...
xpmtl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can check if the 3046 are ok using the voltages Tim has posted on page 10, If you have them right then it's probably the Fets. From memory you should get 10.80V, 7.8V and 15V on the Fets legs.

X

mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

xpmtl wrote:

Cheers,

x.

Woow great work!
Looking forward to your gerber files!
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 13 of 14 [345 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13, 14 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: