electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Ken Stone designs - CGS
CGS92 - Smooth and Stepped Generator
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
MC1495

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: CGS92 - Smooth and Stepped Generator
Subject description: Stone and Serge's take on Sample-and-Holds.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi All -
Didn't see a post about this module yet, so I thought I'd start one.

I also have the perennial question about substituting a LM13700 for a CA3080.

Is the 3080 doing something particular in this circuit that couldn't be easily replicated with a 13700?

I'm still grappling a bit with what's going on in this schematic.. Does anyone have any experience with this device who would be willing to explain what it does?
The Bad Producer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't looked through the schemo yet, but the new PCB version (which I just bought) has space for a 13700 to replace the two 3080's, check out CGS92...

So I guess if you have the older version you could rig up some sort of 'submodule' with the 13700 following the new version connections...

MC1495

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Huh - I'm not seeing a schematic yet that includes the 13700..is it something that is just on the PCB?
MC1495

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah, i see it on the pcb - shouldn't be too hard to figure this out, then..
The Bad Producer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thumb up
xnor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey MC1495, how did the LM13700 work out?
wackelpeter

Audio files: 10

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

as it was always a bit curious to me what to expect from this module i just took my soldering iron a stripboard and took a try on this...

Well it works... somehow...

I have to say i used a LM13700 for 2xCA3080, 2N3906 for PN4250 and 2SK30 for J201.

The one thing i had to do was reducing on both section the resistor for Rate and Rate trimming a lot... ended up with 560K for the Pot and 220K for the trimmer... otherwise i wasn't able get nearly to the expected 100Hz in cycling mode...
hm... scratch
Now i'm wondering what to do with the cycle outputs from smooth and stepped section... as these outputs are really hot i fear, when i have them connected to some sockets i would accidentally plug in a cable to some other module and possibly cause damage to it... so i thought what abotu a simple switch instead of a jack.... the middle lug having the input connected to it and one of the outer lugs having the cycle out... having a 30k resistor in series with the cycle out and the module switched to cycle and having a signal also applied to the input seems the input signal overrides the cycle signal and only the input is visible at the scope probe of the input jack...

Now i'm wondering for what else could i use these cycle jacks... serge must had an idea in mind, bringing them onto the panel instead of using simple switches... patching the cycle of the stepped to the smooth section and vice versa didn't resulted in oscillation... don't know if this is normal, maybe someone can tell me if this is correct or not...

same goes for the hot coupler output... i have the idea to convert this signal somehow to maybe trigger pulses or simple square signals with lesser peak to peak values, using them for timing, switching or triggering applications...

Is there anyone with any good ideas or recommendations how to use those unusual (higher signal) outputs maybe as they are originally or modified?

cheers and thanks in advance
Bastian

Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Ken Stone designs - CGS
Jump to: