electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Let's see your Lunetta!
Page 20 of 22 [526 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Next
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got my logic synth finished...

CMOS 4000 Logic Synth.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  520.56 KB
 Viewed:  971 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

CMOS 4000 Logic Synth.jpg

Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy Shz!t! Awesomeness! Cool

When time permits, tell us what's in the craft.

Edit: I see all the goodies now that I blew up the pic! Rolling Eyes

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-minus- wrote:
Got my logic synth finished...

That looks great! Cool

-minus-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey thanks!

The modules are the usual suspects Laughing .

Top row:

40106 OSCILLATORS

The 6 on a single IC trick. With 3 way toggle switch High, Medium, Low cap switching. I seem to use them more than I imagined although I've only been playing around with this for a day.

4040 DIVIDER

An interesting chip although it needs all its outputs and clock inverted to be useful, particularly if you want to trigger drums. I used two 40106 ICs to do this.

AND/NAND/XOR GATES

The AND seems to be useful. NAND is not as easy to wrap your brain around. Well, not for me anyway. But with the NAND other gates can be made so I put it in there. The XOR is nice for ring modish sounds and drones.

PERCUSSION

I originally was going to use the Korg Monotribe circuits. I made them up and tweaked them somewhat. Got the snare and an open and closed hat sounding quite good. But in the end I used the Paia Drum Tone circuit. The drums can be a little tribal sounding for my liking. I did manage to fiddle a bit and make a heavier kick from a duplicate of the synth drum component. I put six of the Ken Stone Gate to trigger circuits on the inputs just to clean things up. There are two big stripboards behind that panel! It's a handy module to have, kind of like a sketch pad to doodle some rhythms with. It seems to turn 30 minute 'shifty sessions' into something almost musical. The drums are Snare, Clave, Wood Block, Synth Drum, Conga, High Tom, Low Tom (the original bass drum), and the modified synth drum Bass Drum I have six other gate to triggers on the panel below which will be used for nicer external drums.

MELODY GENERATOR/LOWPASS FILTERS

The classic Melody Generator, just for old times sake. And the WSG filters below. I don't seem to use the melody generator much so far. I think the 4046 oscillators are a lot more useful. The filters are handy though. I'll probably turf this panel out and do something different. Maybe make the filters voltage controlled with a home made vactrol and add a couple of triangle oscillators above.

Bottom Row:

4046 VCO's/R-2R's/GLIDE

Another well worn module. Two of each. The R-2R's are hooked up to the oscillators with a glide circuit using a LM358. These are getting used a lot. There's a range switch on each one too. The LFO mode goes very slow which is useful for random clock tempos.

DECADE COUNTER

Standard 4017 decade counter.

4015 SHIFT REGISTER

Chained into 8, with a loop switch and (pseudo) random option using a XOR IC. Good for throwing in hippy drum rolls on those toms while the 4040 controls the other drums.

4066 SWITCHES/4013 FLIP FLOPS

The 4066 isn't being used much at all at the moment. Most of these circuits had been sitting bagged up in a box for almost three years. When I pulled them out I culled most of them and had to rebuild the others with protection diodes and mounting holes. I thought the 4066 was some sort of VCA Laughing . You can't really feed audio through it. An AND gate seems to do the job so these will go. The 4013 is fun!

GATE TO TRIGGER/ADAPTERS

Both of these are Ken Stone circuits built on stripboard. Six gate to triggers, and three stomp box adapters. The adapters are essential if you want to hook effects up. I originally just had a 6.5MM socket wire to a banana socket, but things weren't meant to be that easy.

PANNING MIXER

MFOS panning mixer. Four channels in. Headphone output and two 6.5MM mono sockets L & R. A great little mixer! Four channels seems to be enough.

The case was made from Tasmanian oak bought off the shelf at the local hardware. The rounded corners were done with the same timber but the stuff you use around skirting. It was hand sawn and nailed together. Gave it about twelve coats of enamel paint, sanding with wet and dry paper between coats.

The synth runs on a 12V AC adapter/wall wart going to a +/GROUND/- board I bought as a cheap kit from Jaycar. I'm amazed it runs all this stuff! Calculating current and what not is a bit much for me. I wanted 10 panels. I pushed my luck at 12 and crossed my fingers! I'll have to learn about this when it comes to powering the pile of other circuits I have bagged up here.

It was painful making this thing. It was nowhere near what I had drawn up. I had massive problems with the panel art. I printed onto Alumajet, the white faced metal, but the colours were coming out streaky and weak. About the only colour which would print was black, as long as the line work was minimal. A lot of work drawing spaceship panels was wasted and I had to redesign everything to suit the limitation of the panel printing, hence the overall white look. It was disappointing in that regard but it ended up looking passable. I'll be rethinking the panel making method for the modular...

I'll do some recording over the next day or so and post in the appropriate section. I see the real potential of the logic synth is in its ability to create complex patterns to sequence other things.

So finally I get to escape Lunettaland... or do I? Laughing

CMOS 4000 Logic Synth 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  443.06 KB
 Viewed:  1170 Time(s)

CMOS 4000 Logic Synth 2.jpg

Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is beautiful, and nice selection of circuits too!

Les

RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks great, -minus-! Even if it didn't turn out as you had planned. I like the logic symbols wirh the LEDs in them. And I'm always impressed when people do the circles like you did for the divider & counter.

-minus- wrote:
So finally I get to escape Lunettaland... or do I? Laughing

Probably not! Smile You'll play with this and want to make a brother or sister for it with different circuits!

James.
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Beautiful work -minus-. Love the rounded corners. Panels with logic symbols look better than "passable."
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow, that's gorgeous, really well done. And it has lots of blinky lights, I like that Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trav

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-minus- wrote:
4066 SWITCHES/4013 FLIP FLOPS

The 4066 isn't being used much at all at the moment. Most of these circuits had been sitting bagged up in a box for almost three years. When I pulled them out I culled most of them and had to rebuild the others with protection diodes and mounting holes. I thought the 4066 was some sort of VCA Laughing . You can't really feed audio through it. An AND gate seems to do the job so these will go.

I've found the 4066 does make a good (or at least very simple to build) VCA, as described in the A VCA of sorts thread. But with a digital signal into the CV it will just act as an AND gate, so perhaps not much use in a machine with only digital outs.

Anyway, a very beautiful machine it is!
elmegil

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A Beauty Smile
analog_backlash

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks great -minus- ! One of these days I'll get round to finishing mine... Look forward to hearing some sounds from it.

Gary
Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Beautiful synth minus! Let here some sound samples and/or demo videos Smile
dougseidel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

totally beautiful! great organization and everything!
-minus-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey thanks for the comments! Very Happy

Until now I haven't really messed around much with logic paths. It was always such an effort dragging out the boards and twisting wires together for patches. It's a lot easier now I have somehow managed to finish something.

There are still a few issues to resolve. I have yet to invert the 4040 clock input, and there are a couple of sockets loose. That's one thing I won't do again: buy cheap banana sockets from ebay Evil or Very Mad . I have already replaced two panels with decent quality sockets and can see the entire machine being upgraded in future.

I've been recording some sounds and will post something shortly. I need more leads! I only have about 20, which makes things somewhat limiting. Need to speak to a bank about a loan Laughing .
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Really nice minus. Does it do the Blues...? Wink

Seriously - outstanding job.

bruce

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
-minus-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RF wrote:
Does it do the Blues...? Wink

Laughing I did have the occasional CMOS Blues making it. When I figure out a 12 bar generator I'll send you a logic version of some Howlin' Wolf Wink
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Spendid, minus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
trav

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

installed last module today. case is nothing special: 2x3U rack blanks for the front panel, a section of plank cut on a slight diagonal for the sides; plywood and screws cover the rest. I already have another two panel blanks for its planned sibling.

the color-coding is as follows:

black socket/green LED --> digital signal in
red socket/red LED --> digital signal out
red socket/yellow LED --> control voltage out
yellow socket/no LED --> control voltage in
green socket/green LED --> binary number in
blue socket/green LED --> clock in (where different to digital in)

and the modules are:

A. quad 4093 osc
B. 4024 divider
C. dual 4006/4070 pseudo-random bits/noise
D. 4046 pitch tracker type thing
E. dual 2-in XOR (4070)
F. 4015 dual stepped voltage generator
G. dual 4046 VCO
H. dual 3-bit r/2r
I. dual up/down/up-down stepped voltage generator (4-step and 16-step)--see this thread
J. quad 4066 VCA
K. 4-channel passive mixer
L. master volume, on/off, mono out
M. logic 1/0
N. 4051 1-of-8 selector
O. 4060 slow osc + divisions
P. 4512 digital 1-of-8 selector
Q. diatonic keyboard--see this thread
R. pentatonic keyboard--see same thread as for Q

the recording is just a quick one-take featuring a waveshaped VCO controlled by (F), a few tones from (Q) being randomly selected by (P) and (C), some noodling on (Q) thru the pitch tracker thing (D), and some digital noise (C) through a VCA controlled by (I)

cmos_unit1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  252.5 KB
 Viewed:  385 Time(s)

cmos_unit1.jpg

cmos_unit1_tagged.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.3 MB
 Viewed:  406 Time(s)

cmos_unit1_tagged.png

cmos_unit_1.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  cmos_unit_1.mp3
 Filesize:  4.24 MB
 Downloaded:  918 Time(s)

Draal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks great and sounds great Exclamation Feels good getting things boxed up, eh?
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Draal wrote:
Looks great and sounds great Exclamation

What he said... thumb up

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jcintheus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent!
Great collection of modules, fantastic variation of sound.
Well done!
trav

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks guys!

yep, it's a good feeling having it all soldered and boxed up. Can only hold off the bug so long, tho....
Repeater

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Started working on a Lunetta-esque modular synth heavily inspired by some of my favorite designs in Nic Collins' Handmade Electronic Music, Horowitz & Hill's The Art of Electronics, Forrest Mimms' Engineers Notebooks, my own happy accidents and stuff I've seen on this forum.

From left to right:
Power supply / Phase Locked Loop configured as a pitch tracker
Triple Ramp VCO
Graphic VCO / Waveshaper / Sequencer
Below is my Slim Skeevy, a random voltage generator (CV and audio).

Future modules that are either in the works or at least conceptualized:
Another PLL
VCAs
Tunable CV Keyboard (there's a basic schematic in the DIY section of my blog)
Piezo Driver/Pickup system for physical filtering ala Tudor's Rainforest (cuz VCFs are boring and complicated)
Logic/Switch/R2R Ladder/Counter/Shift Register Super Module (essentially a mini-Lunetta for driving the rest of the synth)

Currently the lid of the box is used as a sandbox area for incorporating other equipment, but I'm planning on adding more modules down there eventually as well.
commathe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-minus- wrote:
It was painful making this thing. It was nowhere near what I had drawn up. I had massive problems with the panel art. I printed onto Alumajet, the white faced metal, but the colours were coming out streaky and weak. About the only colour which would print was black, as long as the line work was minimal. A lot of work drawing spaceship panels was wasted and I had to redesign everything to suit the limitation of the panel printing, hence the overall white look. It was disappointing in that regard but it ended up looking passable. I'll be rethinking the panel making method for the modular...
This is easily one of the most beautiful DIY modulars I have ever seen so I wouldn't stress about it! I would love to be able to make something this attractive.
RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks and sounds great, trav!

It's funny though... I came into this page from the bottom and I thought at first that the yellow boxes were part of the artwork... looked pretty cool!

Meanwhile, my Lunetta is on hold whilst I deliberate about how to build this other box first. I'm wondering if I'll ever get around to it.

James.
Page 20 of 22 [526 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: