electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
<on air> Jez Adventures in Sound
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Synare 3 bipolar supply?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
hoyager

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Synare 3 bipolar supply? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey there, I've been trying to find similar circuits to the ones in the synare 3 to get an answer, thought someone might be able to let me know off the bat..

http://clacktronics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Clacktronics_Star_Synare_Schematic.gif

Is it just a matter of replacing all the 6v (vref) points with ground and all the grounds with -v?

VCF and VCA are pretty straight forward conversions

But the other parts...

CMOS 4093 oscillators: these should be +v and ground only right?

This would mean if using +/-12v it would use only +12v and gnd.

Would this result in a onesided wave though?

Envelopes: the grounds marked become -v?

Noise generator: grounds become -v?

Trigger Conditioner: grounds become -v?

The service manual seems to be more correct, as in marks the power points in a bipolar fashion, except the oscillators, which I'm starting to understand wouldn't be able to handle +12v at pin 14 and -12v at pin 7??

Andy
richardc64

Audio files: 25

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WHY, exactly, do you want to do that?
hoyager

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The service manual says, there will be hum if using an external power source with the current power scheme.

Also I already have lots of 15 and 12v regulators and don't want to use batteries.

Seems obvious especially as the original was meant to be hit with a stick but this seems to be a point of failure, the battery clips and attachments etc.

Really need someone who knows a bit about the power requirements of cmos and using cmos as an oscillator which would run through a vcf with *normal* bipolar supply and wether this would be fine.

I'm one step away from laying it out, just want to check if I'm on the right track

Cheers
Andy
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hoyager wrote:
The service manual says, there will be hum if using an external power source with the current power scheme.

i believe the hum problem would occure if you connected vref to earth. if you used sockets and other front panel components which ground connections are isolated from the front panel, than you are good, i believe. the subsequent modules input needed to be AC coupled, too.
i really would appreciate if someone else with firm knowledge could chime in here.

Quote:
Really need someone who knows a bit about the power requirements of cmos and using cmos as an oscillator which would run through a vcf with *normal* bipolar supply and wether this would be fine.

the GND pin of the CMOS would have to be connected to your new negative rail (since in the schematic above GND was the negative rail, actually, with reference to vref of 6V).
CMOS is available with max supply voltage rating rating up to 20V. thus you could use a bipolar supply with i.e. +/-9V (18V across the CMOS).

hoyager

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So the input and output jack grounds, would go to the dc adapter's ground, regardless of the rest of the circuit?

I think that might be the one, use 9v then the cmos are happy either way

Wonder why they didn't do that in the first place though, with 2 batteries and all...
richardc64

Audio files: 25

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does anyone know off-hand how many posts there's been of someone trying to make something single-supply into bipolar and then FUCKED IT UP?

hoyager wrote:

The copy I have (which may not be the same,) goes on to say "...unless the source is well filtered."

hoyager

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll try and keep that in mind (not fucking it up)

The VCF and VCA are going to work better on bipolar (which are the main parts of the whole circuit) and I already know how they 'convert', having built OTA based vcf's running on bipolar before.

If the cmos chips can def be run from +9v at vdd and -9v at vss, then I think its going to be all good.

Except the trigger conditioner...

It would be more difficult the other way wouldn't it, bipolar to single supply?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: