electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Arduino
JALKA - MIDI Footcontroller
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
boguz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject:  JALKA - MIDI Footcontroller
Subject description: An arduino based MIDI Footcontroller
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have just finished building my Arduino based MIDI Footcontroller.
It is called "Jalka", which in finnish mean "Foot", so i thought it would be an appropriate name... Wink
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
At the moment (v1.0) it has:
- 8 Assignable buttons (each with Click and Click+Hold messages);
- 8 Assignable Pots;
- 4 Modes (kind of like banks, each offering a different set of messages for the buttons, so making kind of 64 “buttons” in total);
- Reset (well, it’s not a real reset. It’s a “All notes off” message for the eventual stuck note…)

At the moment the Pots don’t change with the Modes. I found it annoying to always have to pickup the value when you change to a different mode. Who knows in a future version I’ll think of something better…

And I made a little video to show it working with Ableton Live.

The objective of this project, apart from having my own Footcontroller , was to learn and practice new technics and concepts with Arduino. I am a starter with this whole electronics/ programming thingy (this was my 2nd project), and I find it much easier to stay motivated to learn while working on a project that interests me.
I hope someone else likes it and, who knows, maybe there are even other people out there interested in making their own JALKA!

The design and code are completely OPEN SOURCE, so if someone is interested in building their own JALKA, please just let me know and i'll send you all the information... Wink

I would love to know what you think about it and hear any comments or ideas for new features for a future sketch v2.0! =)
Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very cool. I was thinking of making a foot controller for an old organ that I can't find the original pedal for. The arcade buttons look like a good substitute for keys. Do you think you could actually play something with them if you had to?
boguz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks. =)

Yes, you could play something with this controller.
You could use map the notes of all the Modes, but i think it would be unpractical to change between modes while playing. The easiest way would be if you need only up to 8 notes, so you have them in one Mode all together.

But yes. in fact i have even tried it already. I had only two notes: the Tonic and the Sub-dominant. And i used them as "drones", as very deep notes, like a pedal note on a super deep bass! It was kind of cool! Wink

You just need to change a little bit the code, so it sends NOTE ON command on CLICK and NOTE OFF on RELEASE.
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Arduino
Jump to: