electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Chameleon
More skins for download?
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
teevee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: More skins for download? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I’m considering buying a “Soundart Chameleon” but is it really true, that those 13 skins that they have on the webpage is the only skins made for this unit?

http://www.chameleon.synth.net/english/skins/
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, that's basically true. There may be (are!) other soundskins in people's labs, but of course those aren't available...
clementshawes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wouldn't be put off by there 'only' being those skins available; the MonoWave skin is pretty much worth the price of admission, as are the VA skins.
Personally, I found that the Fahrenheit skin was great - I pretty much used it exclusively when I owned a Chameleon.

If you think about it, you tend to buy rack gear for a purpose; a synth or effects. You then use that unit to create/tweak/play/record. Now, with the Chameleon, you have a rack unit which you can turn into 13 different units and still have presets to work with/edit.

Bottom line, I never found the skins a limit - I've even spoken with other owners who have multiple units and keep a specific skin on each one.

If the unit doesn't gel for you, I'm sure you'd be able to sell it on via here, auction sites or other forums.

DON'T do what I did, get in a funky mood and sell it before learning it!

teevee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

clementshawes wrote:
I wouldn't be put off by there 'only' being those skins available; the MonoWave skin is pretty much worth the price of admission, as are the VA skins.
Personally, I found that the Fahrenheit skin was great - I pretty much used it exclusively when I owned a Chameleon.

If you think about it, you tend to buy rack gear for a purpose; a synth or effects. You then use that unit to create/tweak/play/record. Now, with the Chameleon, you have a rack unit which you can turn into 13 different units and still have presets to work with/edit.

Bottom line, I never found the skins a limit - I've even spoken with other owners who have multiple units and keep a specific skin on each one.

If the unit doesn't gel for you, I'm sure you'd be able to sell it on via here, auction sites or other forums.

DON'T do what I did, get in a funky mood and sell it before learning it!

Paul Maddox told me:
Quote:
Those are the only ones that I know of, there was a couple of others (someone was developing a nord modular style plug in), but I'm afraid I don't know of any more.
clementshawes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hunted for the Nord Modular-esque skin but never found it.

I found one of the VA skins, to me at least, more pleasing than the Virus TI I had; obviously this is subjective but if I were ever put in front of a Chameleon and a Virus TI/2 and told to pick, the Virus would be left behind.

13 skins doesn't seem too bad - I've got several rack units which are locked to one function only so being able to record a fat mono synth then switch over to a unique filterbank before switching to a 303/808/909 box is great.

Now I really want a Chameleon again...

teevee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

clementshawes wrote:

Do you know who there was working on it or talking about it?

I think that the problem about Chameleon is the fact that not everyone can code in this community, but giving people the tools to make tools would give a new view on the unit.
clementshawes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I never found anything more to it beside a comment from Mr Maddox himself that he was aware of someone attempting it.
I could be wrong but I suspect that it might've been abandon-ware - surely if the project was brought to any level of 'release' fruition then there'd be a thread about it here.

I may be wrong - I only had my Chameleon a few months before I threw a wobbly and regrettably sold it (I bought a Virus TI, Waldorf Blofeld, Chameleon and MPC1000 all at the same time, fool!)

Again though - don't stress yourself over what could've been or the potential on what you missed out on. You don't need to learn to code to use the 'skins' already available; the Chameleon on it's own is a very powerful tool - it takes but a few minutes to switch the skins over (depending on the skin and the methods you use to transfer...).
a single rack unit which can be an awesome VA powerhouse, a kick-ass mono synth, a combined 303/808/909, a filterbank, guitar stack and more...

If you're based in the UK/EU, get your Chameleon and change your mind, I may entertain the idea of a buy/trade with you - I suspect you'll come to love it though!

And on the matter of coding? Well - there's either an incentive to learn or not. I use Reaktor, MaxForLive and some other such 'environments'; can I create things myself from scratch? No - but it's me stopping me - the means is there, I just have enough of what I want.

Like the Chameleon, I can always open up other people's scripts to learn from them, if I choose to...

clementshawes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I never found anything more to it beside a comment from Mr Maddox himself that he was aware of someone attempting it.
I could be wrong but I suspect that it might've been abandon-ware - surely if the project was brought to any level of 'release' fruition then there'd be a thread about it here.

I may be wrong - I only had my Chameleon a few months before I threw a wobbly and regrettably sold it (I bought a Virus TI, Waldorf Blofeld, Chameleon and MPC1000 all at the same time, fool!)

Again though - don't stress yourself over what could've been or the potential on what you missed out on. You don't need to learn to code to use the 'skins' already available; the Chameleon on it's own is a very powerful tool - it takes but a few minutes to switch the skins over (depending on the skin and the methods you use to transfer...).
a single rack unit which can be an awesome VA powerhouse, a kick-ass mono synth, a combined 303/808/909, a filterbank, guitar stack and more...

If you're based in the UK/EU, get your Chameleon and change your mind, I may entertain the idea of a buy/trade with you - I suspect you'll come to love it though!

And on the matter of coding? Well - there's either an incentive to learn or not. I use Reaktor, MaxForLive and some other such 'environments'; can I create things myself from scratch? No - but it's me stopping me - the means is there, I just have enough of what I want.

Like the Chameleon, I can always open up other people's scripts to learn from them, if I choose to...

roooareee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

teevee wrote:
clementshawes wrote:

Do you know who there was working on it or talking about it?

I think that the problem about Chameleon is the fact that not everyone can code in this community, but giving people the tools to make tools would give a new view on the unit.

I seem to recall it was a user called Oval, there's a mention of him on the resources page, as the coder of fftfilter2. I don't think anything was ever released.

What do you mean by "giving people the tools to make tools"? Isn't that already true, with the SDK and all the other resources available?
teevee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

roooareee wrote:

I seem to recall it was a user called Oval, there's a mention of him on the resources page, as the coder of fftfilter2. I don't think anything was ever released.

What do you mean by "giving people the tools to make tools"? Isn't that already true, with the SDK and all the other resources available?

"Giving people the tools to make tools" > If there are made an interface with editor, then people can make themselves filterbanks or different kind of synthesis without the knowledge of coding. The lack of coding is probably the reason why communities like these slowly dies.

OVAL a.k.a. Alexey Ovchinnikov is actually a very typical Russian name it would be impossible to track this person down. Very Happy (Try search Alexey Ovchinnikov on Facebook Wink)
By a little “Google search” I could be on track of something, I found these:
http://music.columbia.edu/pipermail/music-dsp/2002-November.txt
http://music.columbia.edu/pipermail/music-dsp/2003-May.txt

Which track me to:
”muzhik at r66.ru (Alexey Ovchinnikov)”
teevee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can confirm that the mail “muzhik@r66.ru” does not work!
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Chameleon
Jump to: