electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
New gear!
Page 71 of 74 [1832 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 Next
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok I tested it out, I remember why I gave up with the VG99 for midi conversion now!

It was pretty hopeless but I was not getting a note on when I released the strings, it did happen sometimes on the 5th and 12th frets though where the vg99 picks up the harmonic as you lift the finger off.

The Godin works very nice with the axon though, they have got cheaper now that the tripleplay is out.
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've fooled around with the MIDI out function of my VG-99, but it's like playing a drum with a couple of blankets thrown on top; due to the reduced sensitivity to dynamics, subtle variations in string timbre that can be heard in internal VG-99 sounds but fail to translate to MIDI, etc. And I'm sure some of you heard the results of my tests with fretless instruments - made worse by my awful playing.

I'll probably continue using a keyboard and certain iPad apps (eg. Gestrument) as my preferred MIDI note entry devices, but I admit being intrigued by the Jamstik, a small wireless MIDI guitar controller for iPad that uses infrared sensing technology.

Some old stuff on VIRB
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The way I've used midi conversion from my gk-3 has mainly been as a kind of composition instrument. The different kinds of sounds you get inspire melodies, I can record those melodies as midi data in a daw, clean out all the garbage notes and then get on with the composition. Having said that, I can get much better and accurate triggering from this Godin, apart from stuff happening when I release the strings. I'm not giving up yet. Smile
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
The way I've used midi conversion from my gk-3 has mainly been as a kind of composition instrument. The different kinds of sounds you get inspire melodies, I can record those melodies as midi data in a daw, clean out all the garbage notes and then get on with the composition. Having said that, I can get much better and accurate triggering from this Godin, apart from stuff happening when I release the strings. I'm not giving up yet. Smile

I kind of had a similar idea when I got my VG-99. The primary purpose would be to access alternative tunings, unusual sounds, etc. on guitar, with MIDI being a distant secondary purpose. However, the MIDI data would go to a Korg M3 and interact with the M3's KARMA function. This idea seemed to have been validated further when I read a member of Animal Collective was doing the same thing (guitar->MIDI->Korg M3 KARMA-> craziness!).

The M3 though has turned out to be an overly specialized, closed "ecosystem" compared to my iPad and its apps for synthesis, sequencing, sampling, etc. Also, most of the KARMA-fied patches and combis seem to have been written for a keyboard player - no surprise of course, but what this implies for the MIDI guitarist is one channel is used for the left hand to play chords (from which bass lines, arps, etc. are generated) and another channel is used by the right hand for melodies - one has to write KARMA patches to account for 6 channels of input rather than 2. Thus, I lost interest in exploring the MIDI Guitar->KARMA connection. Funny though that the Jamstik has me interested, because of the iPad connection, lol.

Some old stuff on VIRB
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You should both try the fishman triple play, its pretty amazing
Antimon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
You should both try the fishman triple play, its pretty amazing

Oh dear... I... I need to hold off on my gadget-buying for a while. Shocked

GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm sure the Triple Play is good. However, I'm becoming more of a keyboard player who can strum a guitar than a guitarist who dabbles in keyboards. I've been practicing again out of that jazz piano book for elementary school students that my last piano teacher assigned to me, and also working on a classical piece.

It's fun being a multi-instrumentalist, but focusing enough to be musically productive, can be a challenge, at least for me. So its viola for free improv and ambient stuff, guitar for strumming and some plucked parts, and keys for the most serious musical work.

Some old stuff on VIRB
remst8

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: iConnectMIDI2+ Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I received my brand new iConnectMIDI2+ on Saturday:

http://www.iconnectivity.com/iConnectMIDI2plus

So far, so good - both MIDI and digital audio working smoothly between my iPad and my MacBook Pro. Cool

iConnectMIDI2plus.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  92.57 KB
 Viewed:  375 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

iConnectMIDI2plus.jpg

modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 276

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

korg pandora mini

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

lots of interesting effects in an extremely small box Smile

adnauseam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: iConnectMIDI2+ Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

remst8 wrote:

http://www.iconnectivity.com/iConnectMIDI2plus

So far, so good - both MIDI and digital audio working smoothly between my iPad and my MacBook Pro. Cool

Sweet. I'm interested in something like this. I LIKE usb as a connectivity convention but dislike that I need a PC/computer to deal with signal passing and such. I hope they update the MIDI specs to do direct midi over usb from instrument to instrument, that would be bad assed.

Spensive little bugger but I bet it's handy. I now have FOUR usb only interface devices and just bought a usb hub to deal. I'd eventually love to ditch the computer.
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: iConnectMIDI2+ Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

remst8 wrote:

I can't wait for the 4+. Two Computers, Two iPads. Sucks to be in a laptop band! Embarassed Shocked Laughing

I'm glad to hear the 2+ works great!
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do?

http://modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/45653

Not shown is the Echophon, Doepfer S&H and Doepfer Logic which have ended up in a different cabinet. It's also really an older model Noisering, and the mixer is a DIY deal not the Doepfer shown.

Forgive me father....

Screen shot 2013-09-08 at Sep 8 8.28.42PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.11 MB
 Viewed:  310 Time(s)

Screen shot 2013-09-08 at Sep 8 8.28.42PM.png

klangumsetzer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this, she shbobo shnth (shweet):

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

more info here:
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2013/08/wacky-wooden-shnth-makes-eerie-sounds-colors-outside-the-lines-documentary/

and of course here:
http://shbobo.net

Eike
ocp

Audio files: 9

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fun the simple way banana

DSC00562.jpg
 Description:
Ditto looper; one button and a pot do it all
 Filesize:  246.01 KB
 Viewed:  245 Time(s)

DSC00562.jpg

jkn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I bought my wife a cello for her 50th bday coming up next year. I've been planning this for a couple years - and I stumbled across the right one so gave it to her really early.

I'm having a ball playing it. And so is she - she's wanted a cello since she first touched one in 3rd grade when the school brought in a bunch of instruments for the kids to look at and learn about.

Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jkn wrote:
I bought my wife a cello for her 50th bday coming up next year. I've been planning this for a couple years - and I stumbled across the right one so gave it to her really early.

I'm having a ball playing it. And so is she - she's wanted a cello since she first touched one in 3rd grade when the school brought in a bunch of instruments for the kids to look at and learn about.

Congrats to your wife and you! Very Happy

adnauseam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jkn wrote:

This is the most excellent gift! Please post some recordings when you're brave enough Smile

I'd like a cello someday, or a stand up bass. Both are attractive. Such a pleasure to play.
pyrosonic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.ineardisplay.com/plugins/bowecho/

From the maker of such crazy loveliness as Bucephal,Eurydice,R_Mem and others.

Screen shot 2013-10-05 at 8.23.48 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  319 KB
 Viewed:  222 Time(s)

Screen shot 2013-10-05 at 8.23.48 PM.png

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whorlweaver/133469163426410
elmegil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Korgy Goodness

IMAG0901-small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  198.68 KB
 Viewed:  224 Time(s)

IMAG0901-small.jpg

adnauseam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
Korgy Goodness

Jealous. For some reason they haven't been released in Canada quite yet. I've had my Beats/bass on back order since May!
elmegil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I only managed it because someone tipped me that Sam Ash had some. Guitar Center has no idea when they'll get theirs and Nerd Audio downtown Chicago already sold out.

I got the last one at that Sam Ash, and the western suburbs one had none when I called them earlier. I have no idea about the North store.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My new Piano Bench, sure to improve the tickling of the ivories.

photo.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  661.15 KB
 Viewed:  216 Time(s)

photo.JPG

Antimon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
My new Piano Bench, sure to improve the tickling of the ivories.

Massive music room there! Very Happy Nice bench too. Wink

Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cushy for the Tushy Shocked
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have made me want to practise more!
Page 71 of 74 [1832 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: