electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
ScalaG2
Page 3 of 3 [67 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
seanwayland

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: keyboard mapping
Subject description: remap midi notes of keyboard
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there all ,
I want to remap the notes of my G2 . Ideally I could save different "scales" as patches and change between them. I can do it with " midi patchbay" , but it is crude and requires me to bring my computer to the gig . It would be great to do it on the nord . I installed the "scala" and was impressed. Excellent work . I dont really want to detune each note microtonally . I want to want notes " all over the place " to my specification .

"
I was just informed by Manuel Op De Coul, the author of Scala, that there is another type of Scala file, ".kbm", which specifies the keyboard mapping. This helps explain why the .scl files do not specify a mapping at all. My G2X keyboard doesn't even go below MIDI Note Number 12 (C which is 4 octaves below middle C), unless I am mistaken. Perhaps modifying scalaG2.py to take a .kbm file as an argument might address the usability vs. resource issue? Then we can avoid the problem of resources being unnecessarily wasted on the tuning block. As always, thank you for your efforts! "

This is posted below . Ideally I would like to be able to convert a midi file ( with my scale ) to be played over the entire keyboard . Please reply thanks .
www.seanwayland.com
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: keyboard mapping
Subject description: remap midi notes of keyboard

seanwayland wrote:
I dont really want to detune each note microtonally . I want notes " all over the place" to my specification.

So you want equal tempered notes in an arbitrary order? Like C3-C5 mapped to C5-C3 descending for example.

I think that could be patched into one slot as a midi note translator, like with the attached prf.

remapdemo.prf2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  remapdemo.prf2
 Filesize:  5.86 KB
 Downloaded:  2156 Time(s)

sean wayland

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: g2 note reassign Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks ian ,
I will look into it . I am Australian. What's with the wonbat ? Where's the kiwi ?
sean
sean wayland

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: thanks
Subject description: G2

its working ,
thanks a bunch Ian ....
www.seanwayland.com
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: g2 note reassign Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sean wayland wrote:
thanks ian ,
I will look into it . I am Australian. What's with the wonbat ? Where's the kiwi ?
sean

I like wombats, such noble beasts. Very Happy
TEMAS

G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi.

I've been trying to create a G2 patch file that will play a scala tuning file in the hope that I can play scales on the G2 with unusual tuning, but I am having no luck in trying to make it work. Here's what I have tried:

The G2SCL.pch2, scalaG2.py and nm2g2.py files are inside the G2ools-1.5 folder, which is located in the Applications folder of my Macintosh HD.

If the scala file I'm trying to convert is called "Test.scl" and I open a Terminal window and type:

./scalaG2.py Test.scl

I get the response:

No such file or directory

I've never used Python files or Scala files or even the Terminal window for that matter, so this is all quite complex to me.

Can anyone help with this?
TEMAS

G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, not to worry (for now). I think I've worked it out and appear to have converted my first file. Haven't tried it on the Nord yet.

The problem was that I hadn't located the g2ools-1.5 folder from the Terminal window. Once I was in the folder I typed the same command prompt and a new .pch2 file was made created.
Electromagnetic Wave

G2 patch files: 38

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi!

I try this too with no luck. This is what I do:

-windows XP PRO x84
-python-3.3.2
-g2ools-1.5

1. put the "scalaG2.py", "G2SCL.pch2", and "pythagorean.scl" in the g2ools-1.5 folder
2. open a shell (cmd)
3. located the g2ools-1.5 folder from the Terminal windows (cd C:\.....)
4. in the shell I write : scalaG2.py pythagorean.scl

After, I got this message :

"File "F:\...\G2\g2ools-1.5\scalaG2.py", line 62
print head
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax"

Is it because I use python-3.3.2 ?

Thanks you for your help
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Electromagnetic Wave wrote:

Likely so - the tools started their life on some version 2 Python.

2.5 IIRC.

Anyway, seem similar issues using python 3 where 2 was expected.

Electromagnetic Wave

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

YES! I'ts work with python v2.7.5 ! But not with v2.2.3

pythagorean.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  pythagorean.pch2
 Filesize:  7.53 KB
 Downloaded:  6269 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great :-)
Electromagnetic Wave

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can I use the Scala G2 tool patch (.phc2) for interbus slot patching ? Control the pitch on a synth to another slot ?

Not working with a "NoteSend" module linked to another slot. I tried this too :

Slot1
The output cable from the Mix1-1A1 in a new "2 outputs" module (Left In) and the gate from the "Keyboard1" module in the "2 outputs" module (Right In). I select BUS 3/4 on the "2 outputs" module.

Slot2
On the synth slot I create a new "2 Inputs" module. Select Bus 3/4. Left side go to "pitch oscilator in" and right side go to the envelope AMP gate.

The pitch move like a lfo or legato mode when I play keyboard. Can I have to convert the signal before to connect it in the OSC pitch input ?

EDIT : I cleaned the patch above to make it clear. I just need a tip to dig to understand the problem. Is it an issue about interslot (DSP) latency that I can fix with a delay? Or an issue about the amplitude from the signal ?

scala11.JPG
 Description:
slot A
 Filesize:  226.65 KB
 Viewed:  2907 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

scala11.JPG

synth11.JPG
 Description:
slot B
 Filesize:  92.88 KB
 Viewed:  2921 Time(s)

synth11.JPG

ScalaInterslot12.prf2
 Description:
Attempts to use a scala (microtuning) patch on another slot

Download
 Filename:  ScalaInterslot12.prf2
 Filesize:  7.48 KB
 Downloaded:  6115 Time(s)

Electromagnetic Wave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It seems that my problem is related to the polyphony. Because everything work fine in mono.

I want to understand something else. How to increase the resolution :

Quote:
The tuning resolution at this point is 0.7874 cents, or 1 semitone / 128. The program could adaptively increase the resolution depending on the requirements of the scale. For example, all the 12 tone scales seem to only require 1 bit for the coarse frequency so these could get 0.01220 cent accuracy if required.

http://www.electro-music.com/forum/post-113571.html#113571

Quote:
In practice the internal frequency resolution of the G2 is 0.0057 Hz..

http://rhordijk.home.xs4all.nl/G2Pages/Signallevels.htm#Signallevels_5319_999210

I made several attempts without success.
-I hadded a "level amplifier" after the "Mixer 1-1A" to reduce the signal.
-I added a third row of "SeqCtr" modules and I replaced the "Mix 1-1A" for a "Mix 2-1A" to mix the signal.
-I tried to divide the output signal from the "Mix 1-1A".

Happy new year everyone!!!
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Happy new year everyone!!!

Happy New Year!!!

Can I use the Scala G2 tool patch (.phc2) for interbus slot patching ? Control the pitch on a synth to another slot ?...
Not working with a "NoteSend" module linked to another slot...

It seems that my problem is related to the polyphony. Because everything work fine in mono...

I resisted replying to your question back then. I was hoping that you would eventually realize that the G2 buss can only pass one signal value at a time, while the Scala modules in the polyphonic VA will produce a unique pitch offset value for each voice.

...I want to understand something else. How to increase the resolution...

Yes, it appears that the pitch inputs of the oscillators quantize the signal to the nearest 1/128 of a semitone, even though the G2 system can produce control (pitch) signals much finer than that.

But, the G2 oscillators with an FM input can produce finer pitches in between this limit if you patch a pitch control signal into the FM input. I use this trick to get a very fine pitch detune that cannot otherwise be produced by just setting the Cent knob alone.

So with clever patching of pitch control signals into the FM inputs of capable oscillator modules, you should be able to get a much finer pitch offset than can be had by patching the Scala module signals into the oscillator pitch inputs.

Too bad that not all G2 oscillator modules have an FM input though Rolling Eyes

Electromagnetic Wave

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
the G2 buss can only pass one signal value at a time

This is not the first time that the voice mode is causing me a headache. I've had a similar problem when I converted some NM1 patchs for the G2.

Quote:
the G2 oscillators with an FM input can produce finer pitches in between this limit if you patch a pitch control signal into the FM input.

Thank you! I just tried and it works well. But this is a parameter that I automates all the time to vary the timbre (as in the screenshot, the wellow part) in my synth patchs. I need to dig to fit all this.

FM exemple.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  54.98 KB
 Viewed:  2963 Time(s)

FM exemple.JPG

Electromagnetic Wave

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was wrong. The pitch is controlled from the Osc1, not from the Osc2. It works.

Now I want to talk about the filter. When using a non-conventional scale (or just by changing the Master Tune in the System setting) the filter is not in harmony with the oscillator pitch.

The Equal Tempered
Chromatic Scale
(where Concert A = 440 Hz)

C4 = 261.63 Hz
C#4 = 277.18
D4 = 293.66
D#4 = 311.13
E4 = 329.63
F4 = 349.23
F#4 = 369.99
G4 = 392.00
G#4 = 415.30
A4 = 440.00
A#4 = 466.16
B4 = 493.88

The filter values (Hz) from C4 to B4 :

261.6, 277.2, 293.7, 311.1, 329.6, 349.2, 370, 392, 415.3, 440, 466.2, 493.9

Now when I use another scale, the filter stay in the Tempered Chromatic Scale

But... With the G2SCL.pch2 I can build a a filter that is representative of the scale I use. I patch a pitch control signal into the FM input from a "Ftl Nord" module. Next, I insert a "Constant Value" module and I patch the 1st cable from the "LevAdd2" module into the "Constant Value" module. To fix each step to the right Hertz into the "Sequencer Controlled" module, I use a white noise module before the filter (with a BR filter type). Like this I can recreate a sine. It's easy to fix all steps to the good Hertz.

My filter is in harmony with the pitch of the scale!

Thank you varice! As you say : "Too bad that not all G2 oscillators modules have an FM input though." Same for the filters!
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi!

I try this too with no luck. This is what I do:

-windows XP PRO x84
-python-3.3.2
-g2ools-1.5

1. put the "scalaG2.py", "G2SCL.pch2", and "pythagorean.scl" in the g2ools-1.5 folder
2. open a shell (cmd)
3. located the g2ools-1.5 folder from the Terminal windows (cd C:\.....)
4. in the shell I write : scalaG2.py pythagorean.scl

After, I got this message :

"File "F:\...\G2\g2ools-1.5\scalaG2.py", line 62
print head
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax"

Thanks you for your help

This makes sense, because print() is now a function in Python 3.x, whereas print is a statement in Python 2.

However, there are numerous other changes which will likely cause G2ools not to work in Python 3 as well.

Page 3 of 3 [67 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: