electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
4021 8-Bit Static Shift Register
Page 2 of 2 [36 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Glitch-Militia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is it possible to get single outs from each switch? Preferrably with a descrete circuit. I basicly want the switches to work like normal switches.
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes it would be possible,. you'll need another shiftregister for the ouputs and a circuit in between. I've only done it with a PIC myself (since I usually need to
process it somehow in between), but I don't see a reason why it wouldn't be possible with some logic chips. probably a CLK generator and a counter and
maybe a flipflop. (Maybe I'll try something myself one of these days)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glitch-Militia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
Maybe I'll try something myself one of these days

Please do. I'm simply not clever enough to figgure it out myself. I need a schematic.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: NES Controller Converter Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glitch-Militia wrote:
Please do. I'm simply not clever enough to figgure it out myself. I need a schematic.

ok, here you go. Cool

I tested it with an original NES controller so it should work. U1a inverts the data so when a button is pressed the ouput goes high (instead of low).
I also added an LED that lights up and get's brighter when more buttons are pressed. You could leave it out but it's a nice indicator to see if there
is data coming from the NES controller.

Now I want to build it myself too but I need a connector. Maybe I'll get a Four Score, it has 4 connectors but it could be that it's just one piece.

NES Controller Converter.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  46.33 KB
 Viewed:  295 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

NES Controller Converter.gif

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glitch-Militia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You are the best! What is the output from the 4094? Trigger?
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glitch-Militia wrote:
You are the best! What is the output from the 4094? Trigger?
Also would it be possible to use the ABC at the same time?

If with ABC you mean more buttons, yes. you can press as many as you like. The outputs just copy the buttons, so they're high as long as a button is pressed.

I made one myself, and put it in a small cardboard box for now. Since I don't have a connector I just pushed some wires into the holes and secured it with
some hotglue (the connector not the wires).

NES Controller Converter 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  281.02 KB
 Viewed:  182 Time(s)

NES Controller Converter 01.jpg

NES Controller Converter 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  258.18 KB
 Viewed:  182 Time(s)

NES Controller Converter 02.jpg

Glitch-Militia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually I meant the latch and pulse outs. I just got confused because stolenfat talked about the ABC. But that is ofcause the ABC inputs on the melody generator.

You have to extra 2 bolts on that box. Is that the latch and pulse out's? Also one has a diode, but the other one does not?

BTW. That box look's nice!
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glitch-Militia wrote:
Actually I meant the latch and pulse outs.

ah, I see you are refering to stolenfat's post, who uses the info from this page.

What's labeled as the 'pulse' pin is the data pin which sends out a string of bits that correspond to the buttons that are pressed. This happens in sync
with the CLK and with the values I used the CLK rate is ± 450Hz (if my calculations are correct). I first had it running at 100KHz so if it would
cause any noise it wouldn't be audible. But by reducing the speed it acts as a debounce for the buttons (at least that's the theory). So you could
use an output to control the CLK input of a counter or something like that. Anyway if you want to use the datastream as an output then you can just
grab it from pin3 of U1a.

The 'Latch', also labeled 'Strobe' is the serial/parallel control pin of the 4021. Everytime it's made high it reads the switches, which then get send
out as a string of bits over the data pin. Since it's connected to an output (pin3) of the 4017 it just sends out a constant pulse wave. The 4017 is
configured to count 8 steps so the frequency would be ± 450/8 = 56Hz.

Quote:
You have to extra 2 bolts on that box. Is that the latch and pulse out's? Also one has a diode, but the other one does not?

nope, those are the powerpins (+/-), I need to get that in somewhere and I'm not using batteries inside the box.
The diode is there as a protection, just in case for if I would accidentally reverse the power. (don't want to fry the controller)

Quote:
BTW. That box look's nice!

thank you Very Happy

edit: added the front image

converter front.gif
 Description:
full frontal bits
 Filesize:  264.14 KB
 Viewed:  178 Time(s)

converter front.gif

Glitch-Militia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes! I found my little stash.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62235217@N07/9883835333/

Any ides what I should do with the power/reset buttons?
commathe

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS, I have seen a lot of your cool nut and bolt modular things but what do you use as patch cables?
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

commathe wrote:
PHOBoS, I have seen a lot of your cool nut and bolt modular things but what do you use as patch cables?

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Wink

Page 2 of 2 [36 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: