electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  mosc Live music with Twyndyllyngs - Bill Fox and Howard Moscovitz
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Virtual Lunetta in Pure Data
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
pemdasi

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject:  Virtual Lunetta in Pure Data
Subject description: inspired by my research into this forum
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello all. I've been doing preliminary work on building a lunetta after lurking on this forums for a while.

I wanted to make a realistic simulation based on how I understand the theory currently. I did this in vanilla pure data, an open source graphical patching programing language. Every thing in the simulation is treated as a 5v signal, including ramp up/down times on the waveforms of the logic.

LFO Module:
Manual control Slider/Pot
3 Selectable Frequency Ranges
PW manual control

R2R Ladder:
4 Bit DAC, implemented with signals in pd-vanilla

VCO:
3 Selectable Frequency Ranges
PWM

I used 4 LFOs into the 4-bit R2R and fed that to a VCO in the attached mp3.

Since I haven't built this device, I'm not exactly sure that it will operate with similar charachteristics. Interested to know if you think this sounds like a reasonable approximation of a similar hardware setup.

Edit: I tried to attach the pure data file, but the forum disallows *.pd. The file is attached, just rename it to .pd.

Here's a screenshot of the patch, it's really a block diagram of modules.

virutal-lunetta-1.jpg
 Description:
Screenshot of the interface to the virutal lunetta in pd
 Filesize:  31.58 KB
 Viewed:  3242 Time(s)

virutal-lunetta-1.jpg

puredata_lunetta_drone_demo.mp3
 Description:
Simulated Lunetta

Download
 Filename:  puredata_lunetta_drone_demo.mp3
 Filesize:  3.89 MB
 Downloaded:  219 Time(s)

lunetta-4c-1r2r-1vco.txt
 Description:
pd file, rename

Download
 Filename:  lunetta-4c-1r2r-1vco.txt
 Filesize:  14.38 KB
 Downloaded:  169 Time(s)

RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yup Smile I think you've got it - that sounds fairly familiar.
Time to solder some hardware

bruce

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very good job, it sounds very similar to my ears and my ears have heard quite a lot of lunetta abuse Smile.

But there is no substitute for the real deal, I bet you can't stick a led in there somewhere or use a starvepot Wink

noise
pemdasi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have completed moving these objects over to external patches. I also have a working emulation of a 4011 chip, now. Shouldn't be that hard to emulate the other chips in pd. At some point I will make available a library of these objects for others to use if there is interest.

http://soundcloud.com/pemdasi/pemdasi-vlunetta-demo-4-13
This clip contains two chains of 2 VCOs and LFOs going into a 4011 feeding another VCO. The two final stage VCOs are then panned in the stereo field via a sin LFO.

All frequencies are manually controlled for exploration purposes Smile
ufokult

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry for the necrobump, but... Did you ever make more chips for this? I was about to begin building similar stuff in Synthedit, but if someone already made it, then why bother? It would be nice to prototype Lunetta stuff virtually.
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seems like there was slight rejection by the 'purists' out there in 'Lunettaland'. Laughing I can't see why. Maybe it makes their suffering with a hot soldering iron all seem in vain.

Lunettas may be dirty, but they are far from cheap. The hardware will keep you living in poverty for years. Logic is logic. This looks like a good alternative to me.
analog_backlash

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-minus- wrote:
Seems like there was slight rejection by the 'purists' out there in 'Lunettaland'. Laughing I can't see why. Maybe it makes their suffering with a hot soldering iron all seem in vain.

Lunettas may be dirty, but they are far from cheap. The hardware will keep you living in poverty for years. Logic is logic. This looks like a good alternative to me.

Each to his own, I think. I just prefer the look and feel of a physical instrument, but I have no objection to synth/studio software of any kind.

I agree with you about the cost. The actual circuits are cheap, but all the panel components (pots, switches, banana plug and sockets etc), soon make the price mount up. My lunetta experiments so far have used only presets with spindles, very cheap PCB mounted slide switches and SIL sockets for patching, thus keeping the cost to a minimum. The downside of this is that they aren't very reliable and they're certainly not good for performance purposes!

Gary
ufokult

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

analog_backlash wrote:

I agree with you about the cost. The actual circuits are cheap, but all the panel components (pots, switches, banana plug and sockets etc), soon make the price mount up.

Gary

That is so true! Being a poor student, I was first really excited about possibility to finally build my own modular, but soon I realized I can buy two CMOS chips for price of one pot. Currently I can have only few circuits breadboarded at a time, because I love to use lots of pots, and simply can't afford more right now, with baby in the house... I gotta build something I can sell, so I can finance my hobby Very Happy
commathe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is very cool, I had been trying something similar in Max/MSP but I was more interested in emulating boolean sequencers and the like
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: