electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Prototyping Board vs Experimenters Board
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
rogerlatur

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Prototyping Board vs Experimenters Board Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use proto boards/stripboards with conducting lines, but I am curious how you use this kind of experimenters boards with only holes:
http://www.futurlec.com/Pictures/EXPBRD.jpg

I see the advantage of having more connection choice than with lines, but my first impression is, as there are no lines (holes pre-connected), it doesn't make much sense to solder a wire on top of the component.
I mean if you have an opamp pin connected to a resistor leg, you put the opamp, the resistor on the front, solder them in the back and you also solder a wire in the back between pin and leg ? I mean you then have plenty of wires crossing (not even sure so many will hold well). I guess I am missing something, this is why I prefer to ask here.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What you'd usually do is that you bend the resistor wire to the op amp pin, then cut it to length and solder it together.

When it is all ICs you will use lots of wire of course, but the advantage is that you are all free in your routing whereas with traces you would have to cut them and think in advance.

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Board vs Experimenters Board Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

perf FTW! Cool
Well it's both perfboard but I perfer the pad per hole stuff. Stripboard works pretty fast if you allready have a layout, and for simple circuits it's
not too hard to design. But it can be rather difficult if you have a lot of components and it'll take up a more space then when you'd use
pad-per-hole perf. Which is one thing I like about it, you can make circuits pretty compact. Another advantage is that you can make changes to it. It
can be a bit of a hassle to desolder sometimes, but it's possible to reroute the circuit or add components later on (a big advantage compared to etched PCB's).

As for how you wire it up there are different methods. I've seen boards where the components were lined up nice and very close together and the
bottom was indeed a mess of wires. Or sometimes people just start soldering and add components along the way, soldering them together
directly if possible or use wires if necessary. What I do is design a layout with a 0.1" grid and then build that on perf. It's a bit more work but gives
a nice result. And if circuits don't work right away it's easier to check if you have a layout design.

psychvid PCB top.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.42 MB
 Viewed:  197 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

psychvid PCB top.jpg

psychvid PCB bottom.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.42 MB
 Viewed:  201 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

psychvid PCB bottom.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rogerlatur

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Blue Hell: thank you !!!

@PHOBoS: thank you too !!!
I did not think about the way shown on your picture, because I only thought direct connections with crossing diagonals. This is the reason why I was concerned by the fact that many wires would cross themselves together, but in your picture you show a solution where they don't. It looks more like a circuit (as seen on PCB) which makes really sense to me. I am really glad I asked here !

Are you using resistor legs to "wire" and connect or you have to take another material to make longer connections ?
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rogerlatur wrote:
Are you using resistor legs to "wire" and connect or you have to take another material to make longer connections ?

yes and yes. I mostly just bend the legs but they're not always long enough or sometimes there are no legs to use (like connections between IC's). In
that case I use some stripped wire (currently using some CAT5 cable for that), and I also keep the longer legs that I cut off which can come in handy.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rogerlatur

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
rogerlatur wrote:

yes and yes. I mostly just bend the legs but they're not always long enough or sometimes there are no legs to use (like connections between IC's). In
that case I use some stripped wire (currently using some CAT5 cable for that), and I also keep the longer legs that I cut off which can come in handy.

Good to know !
analog_backlash

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know how you do it PHOBoS. I'm too embarrassed to send a photo of my attempts at protoboarding, as they all have multicoloured spaghetti on the back Embarassed . Perhaps my mind isn't organised enough (or perhaps I need to plan them out first?).

Gary
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Planning in advance makes a huge difference. If I would just put the components on it, it would quickly become a mess of wires too. And it gets
easier if you've been doing it for while, although when I start designing a layout I do sometimes get a "how the hell am I gonna get that all connected Shocked "
thought.

I'm using sprintlayout 3.0 btw, which was freeware (I think you can still get it here).

rogerlatur

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, the picture you posted here is really a nice example !
Worth the time you spent for the planning.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't look too much at all that PHOBoS neatness, just do it like :

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Wink

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah yes, that's a nice example of:
Quote:
I've seen boards where the components were lined up nice and very close together and the
bottom was indeed a mess of wires

here's something similar but less messy (not by me):

rogerlatur

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great pictures posted here !

And I was worried by "wires crossing in diagonals"... Haha !
yogi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBos' first photo is just beautiful, wish my boards looked so good. But most times I'm happy if they JUST work Wink
Most the time, mine look like a cross between the last two postings, but mostly it has to do with what I working on. An analog hf circuit has to be neater then a digital one.
For ICs I like some of the boards with 3-holes-per-pad, far less effort connecting to the pins. They are a little harder to source at a low price.
I have also used 2mm copper foil tape to lay out PWR/GND buss runs. Busses for rows of IC, then wires interconnecting multiple rows.
Strip board construction yields larger boards but you really need to plan it out. I can't recall the name ATM, but I remember seeing a nice lay-out CAD prog for strip boards, looked like the way to go.
Yogi
EDIT: after following some links about Sprint Layout (TNKs PHOBos!) The makers of Sprint also make LochMaster strip board layout. Looks very nice.
http://www.abacom-online.de/uk/html/produkte.html
rogerlatur

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just googled for "2mm copper foil tape": never heard about this, but very interesting ! I am going to check the details.

On MAC I used DIYLC to plan. It is cross-platform and under GNU GPL license (freeware/donation).
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: