electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Need to bounce an idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Zodiak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Need to bounce an idea. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am rebuilding my trusty MFOS soundlab on a eurorack panel.
It was already patched out, and I have added several extras over the years like a second PWM, soft sync on both VCOs, and logarithmic CV for the VCA and VCF.
I now want to add inverted outputs for the LFO and AR, trigger level on the AR, and triangle outputs on the VCOs.
My original idea was to hard wire these onto the main panel, but then it struck me that this is going to limit options.
It would be more flexible, but add panel space if I added these as extra eurorack modules.
So do I redesign the front panel AGAIN and make some extra modules or leave them hard wired. ?
Either way is going to mean extra work, but then I like doing that sort of thing, I just don't want to end up finishing it again and then doing it all over in another 5 years Smile

elmegil

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Need to bounce an idea. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Zodiak wrote:
I am rebuilding my trusty MFOS soundlab on a eurorack panel.

Shocked

Zodiak wrote:

It was already patched out, and I have added several extras over the years like a second PWM, soft sync on both VCOs, and logarithmic CV for the VCA and VCF.
I now want to add inverted outputs for the LFO and AR, trigger level on the AR, and triangle outputs on the VCOs.
My original idea was to hard wire these onto the main panel, but then it struck me that this is going to limit options.
It would be more flexible, but add panel space if I added these as extra eurorack modules.
So do I redesign the front panel AGAIN and make some extra modules or leave them hard wired. ?
Either way is going to mean extra work, but then I like doing that sort of thing, I just don't want to end up finishing it again and then doing it all over in another 5 years Smile

Would maybe having some spare attenuverters and multiples as stand alone modules get what you need without redesigning the panel? They'd be quite useful in general as well....
Zodiak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, I didn't mention that I am using 4mm stack-able banana plugs so they are their own multiple Smile
On the original the attenuators were on the output of each module, like a VCS-3, and much as I would still love one, my dream synth was probably the ARP 2600 so I have moved my attenuators to the inputs, although every module has a direct input too, so extra attenuators are always a good idea, thanks.

elmegil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just to be sure, you saw that I said attenuverters, which also invert signals, right?
Zodiak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
Just to be sure, you saw that I said attenuators, which also invert signals, right?

Not normally, attenuators allow you to change the amount of a signal from 100% down to 0%. This is used when you want to vary the level of a signal (or control) going into a module.
Invertors turn the signal to -100%.
The unit I am interested in combines both, the signal can be varied from -100%, through 0 and onto +100% of the input, through a single knob.

Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 147
G2 patch files: 318

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah ok .. so you do need the attenuverter .. this gets a tad confusing Laughing

Attenuverter is not a speling eror Shocked

edit: I mean

Quote:
Just to be sure, you saw that I said attenuverters, which also invert signals, right?

vs

Quote:

elmegil wrote:
Just to be sure, you saw that I said attenuators, which also invert signals, right?

Last edited by Blue Hell on Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
elmegil

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Zodiak wrote:
elmegil wrote:

Not normally, attenuators allow you to change the amount of a signal from 100% down to 0%. This is used when you want to vary the level of a signal (or control) going into a module.
Invertors turn the signal to -100%.
The unit I am interested in combines both, the signal can be varied from -100%, through 0 and onto +100% of the input, through a single knob.

I said attenuVERTer. You misquoted me here even. I don't know what's up with that.

AttenuVERTers are inverting attenuators. In the center, they're at zero. At full CW, they're at 100%. At full CCW, they're at -100%. Hence, inverted.

An attenuverter is exactly what you want, and is what I said, twice. Not attenuator.

Just so I'm not simply boggling at why I was misquoted, here are some links in this forum to attenuVERTers and/or circuits using them. There are a couple common ways to wire them that I've seen, I don't know whether this set includes more than one though.

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=attenuverter&t=21916
http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=attenuverter&t=54578
http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=attenuverter&t=27667
Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 147
G2 patch files: 318

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
Just so I'm not simply boggling at why I was misquoted

That was interesting yeah Laughing

piedwagtail

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

queue Pantomine

NO IT DOESN'T

....YES IT DOES

Ohm...
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: