electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
'That' sound
Page 2 of 4 [78 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
clementshawes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

adnauseam wrote:
Was about to suggest going for a Tetra Key (for the value) but then I remembered DSI never went down that path!

Mopho x4 keyboard seems nice - I'm looking at similar prices for the x4 or MEK (give or take a few £'s); there's strengths, for me, in both units.

X4 has 4 voices in a 3.5 octave keyboard, option to poly additional Mopho, Tetra or even a Prophet '08 should the need strike. Not to mention that there's an extra octave over the Mopho mono key...

MEK, well, I'm preaching to the converted here...

Arguably, I've got so many options for typical VA/digital sounds in software that I'm focussing on getting one good analog (or hybrid in the Evolver) hardware and working with that.

I can see, almost guarantee, that it'll be a DSI unit followed by a Waldorf Blofeld; the DSI will be a keyed model for a) control of said unit and b) expansion while also playing master keys duty in my setup. I wish I'd never swapped my Blofeld for the Nord modular....

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Re: Evolver keyboards - if you get the encoder version make sure that it doesn't suffer from the common skipping encoder problem. My PEK was pretty much unusable when I got the pot conversion kit.
adnauseam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Deoxit Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Even after a treatment of Deoxit? I sprayed mine with the 5% (all I could find, wanted the 100%) and it's been over a month now. I'm starting to notice skipping of 2-15 values on about 2 pots just now.

Pretty good. I'll spray it again before paying 300 bucks for new encoders
clementshawes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the tip - I'd read, here and elsewhere, to avoid the non PE editions if you can as they 'suck' (or are prone to sucking).

I think, sadly, it's more likely that I'll be chasing a mono Mopho keys; I might get a second Evolver desktop and put a Lemur template together for the most handy Evolver controls.
Plenty of expansion options open to me and there's also more options for piping sounds back to/through each unit so might be a more suited option to me and my noisy ways Smile

The only way I can make anything like that work for me at this time would be, perhaps, to sell my Nord Mod G1 rack (which I'm contemplating) and even my desktop Evolver to make way for the MEK - if I could guarantee that the sale of my G1 would get me a MEK unit then I'd have already sold it.

Unless anyone wants to trade my G1 and desktop Evolver for their MEK... nah, didn't think so Wink

Bills need paying, space needs to be reclaimed and I just want to make some noise dammit!

Antimon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Deoxit Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

adnauseam wrote:
Even after a treatment of Deoxit? I sprayed mine with the 5% (all I could find, wanted the 100%) and it's been over a month now. I'm starting to notice skipping of 2-15 values on about 2 pots just now.

Pretty good. I'll spray it again before paying 300 bucks for new encoders

Yeah. Granted, I didn't get the needle deoxit - mine has a little brush. I worked like mad for an hour and managed to get one or two encoders working decent. But a month or two later they were skipping and not-moving-though_i'm-turing-frantically like before.

/Stefan

Venn Diagram

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's usually a combination of synthesis and techniques, primarily being analog, fm, additive and granular based. I don't know how it works for other people but most of my glitchy-ness comes from the sound design process itself rather than plug in processing.
You'd be surprised what gear with the right programming chops can pull off that sort sound. For me at least 2 and 4 OP FM., Analog, Physical Modelling etc tick all the right boxes but production technique is something I prefer to be as individual as the person creating the music.
What is your budget first off - low end gear like the TG-33, ER-1, Older samplers like an Emax SE, a Yamaha QY700 and say an MPC would do an awful lot of damage in the right hands.
I personally use a blend of old school, new school, digital, fm, granular and sampling but your mileage may vary.
Each to their own and how you recreate a certain vibe or aesthetic may be totally different to someone else and their approach to exactly the same kind of musical project.
Lastly do not rush your productions - well crafted electronica is not written and produced in a number of hours IMHO and developing a fine ear for detail and/or working on your craft go a long way in anyones book.

http://soundcloud.com/venndiagram

http://venndiagram.ca

https://soundcloud.com/venndigram

https://myspace.com/venndiagram
clementshawes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for your reply. I've been ill lately and have had the luxuries of time to think, study and otherwise spend time I didn't have.

I'm not looking for instant production or a magic fix.

Gear wise, I'm now waiting on news of a Sequentix Cirklon to drive a mono Evolver, Shruthi-1, Blofeld and a possible OctaTrack and Pulse 2; atop my DAW and various plugs.

The 'rest' will be down to my getting to grips with my setup and finding my own sound/workflow from what I have/get.

Venn Diagram

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

clementshawes wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I've been ill lately and have had the luxuries of time to think, study and otherwise spend time I didn't have.

I'm not looking for instant production or a magic fix.

Gear wise, I'm now waiting on news of a Sequentix Cirklon to drive a mono Evolver, Shruthi-1, Blofeld and a possible OctaTrack and Pulse 2; atop my DAW and various plugs.

The 'rest' will be down to my getting to grips with my setup and finding my own sound/workflow from what I have/get.

Nice set up Smile
More than enough to do what you want - the Cirklon is a great bit of kit IMHO.
I used an Evolver quiate alot on my last album - really diverse synth it is I must say.

I use the following myself.
2 x Roland SP808EX (custom samples) - they have a certain grit and sound to them i find hard to replicate anywhere else and the FX are great from both processing and resampling IMHO. Often use them for tiggering, processing field recordings etc and longer ambient passages I've created on the Nord Modular for example.
Roland - Integra 7 (for the SN-A and SN-S engine primarily)
Korg Triton - really underated as a sampler + pad machine IMHO.
Korg MS20
Octatrack
Monomachine
Analog Four
Nord Modular G1
Maschine
Madronna Labs Aalto
Tassman 4

That said I'd love to get the Z1 Moss Board for the Triton at some stage.
I'm really happy with this set up though i'd swap the G1 for an iPad just to save studio space if I could sell it.

GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

clementshawes wrote:
Phone, Android tablet, MacBook, iPad - these are all employed to help me find what I'm after - its the patience to sit there with the money and wait that I lack over buying something to fill the void.

On the iPad side of the house, try the AUFX Dub app.

http://kymatica.com/Software/AUFX

The second app in the series is AUFX:Dub. A highly tweakable stereo delay audio effect, suitable for everything from clean digital delays to filthy dub echoes and broken cassette tapes. It features tape simulation (noise and warble), filters in the delay loop for typical dub sound, stereo detune, ping-pong delay, and more.

As you have heard, tape warble is a big part of the BOC sound...

Some old stuff on VIRB
clementshawes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Kymatic apps look pretty good actually - I wonder how much like 'Space' the Kymatic offering shares with Eventide's same-named product (at <$4, anything would be a bonus though lol)
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

clementshawes wrote:
The Kymatic apps look pretty good actually - I wonder how much like 'Space' the Kymatic offering shares with Eventide's same-named product (at <$4, anything would be a bonus though lol)

I doubt the reverb app matches the Eventide feature for feature, but I think it sounds great for the money, imo. I've heard good things about VirSyn's AudioReverb app, but I'm not enough of a reverb head to justify buying their $9 app.

Some old stuff on VIRB
clementshawes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GovernorSilver wrote:
clementshawes wrote:

I doubt the reverb app matches the Eventide feature for feature, but I think it sounds great for the money, imo. I've heard good things about VirSyn's AudioReverb app, but I'm not enough of a reverb head to justify buying their $9 app.

Splashing out $9 lol

I'm good for reverb thanks; NI's GuitarRig with Reflektor has been handling that side of things for some time, recently added AudioDamage's delays and reverbs plugs. There's also Reaktor if I get bored of all that.

Plus, I do plan to get the actual Eventide Space pedal.

GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

clementshawes wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:
clementshawes wrote:

Splashing out $9 lol

I'm good for reverb thanks; NI's GuitarRig with Reflektor has been handling that side of things for some time, recently added AudioDamage's delays and reverbs plugs. There's also Reaktor if I get bored of all that.

Plus, I do plan to get the actual Eventide Space pedal.

I'm good on reverb too. For iPad stuff, the AUFX Space is fine for my needs. The reverbs on the Octatrack are also fine for me.

The hardware pedal I'll probably add is an analog delay. I'm not in a hurry though. The rumored Moog Minifooger Delay might be out by the time I'm ready to decide and spend my money. Laughing Other candidates include the Way Huge Super Puss and EHX Deluxe Memory Man Tap Tempo (there are now 3 different versions of this!). I believe all of them can fake the tape sound to various degrees.

Some old stuff on VIRB
clementshawes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry, I think I might've come across a bit arrogant in my last post; I've been using GearSlutz a bit lately which brings out the d##k in me.

For verbs and delays, I hope to get the Eventide Space and the Jomox T-Resonator on top of the internal OctaTrack effects.
That's the plan, I might be distracted by something else in the time between my getting to grips with whatever I buy first. One at a time this time, not everything in a short space like before!

GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

clementshawes wrote:
Sorry, I think I might've come across a bit arrogant in my last post; I've been using GearSlutz a bit lately which brings out the d##k in me.

For verbs and delays, I hope to get the Eventide Space and the Jomox T-Resonator on top of the internal OctaTrack effects.
That's the plan, I might be distracted by something else in the time between my getting to grips with whatever I buy first. One at a time this time, not everything in a short space like before!

I didn't notice anything rude about your post, so no worries. I avoid GearSlutz for various reasons. Wink

Wait, you're getting an Octatrack??!?

Some old stuff on VIRB
clementshawes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's on the cards. I've lusted after one pretty much since they released it into the wild.

I've been missing out on lots of spontaneity in my gear through reasons of acting on GAS quicker than I ever thought about it.
I spent a lot of time not using any of my gear and wanting to achieve something, and exactly what that something was. The OT just looks wicked, I love Elektron workflow. I see the OT as giving me a dedicated way of what I spend time tweaking mouse-driven or clumsily mapped VST doing. So speeding up part of my 'flow.

The Cirklon just seems to be awesome and I'm fortunate enough to be in a position where I could afford such a lavish item.

I'm 75%+ sure that the Blofeld and Shruthi-1 cover the majority of sounds I like as they are, between the OT and having some nice analog-ish/FSU fx that I'd have an outboard setup offering most of what I'd use in Live with Reaktor and such - with the luxury of still having Live et al.
The MEK is just lovely lol

Venn Diagram

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

clementshawes wrote:
It's on the cards. I've lusted after one pretty much since they released it into the wild.

I've been missing out on lots of spontaneity in my gear through reasons of acting on GAS quicker than I ever thought about it.
I spent a lot of time not using any of my gear and wanting to achieve something, and exactly what that something was. The OT just looks wicked, I love Elektron workflow. I see the OT as giving me a dedicated way of what I spend time tweaking mouse-driven or clumsily mapped VST doing. So speeding up part of my 'flow.

The Cirklon just seems to be awesome and I'm fortunate enough to be in a position where I could afford such a lavish item.

I'm 75%+ sure that the Blofeld and Shruthi-1 cover the majority of sounds I like as they are, between the OT and having some nice analog-ish/FSU fx that I'd have an outboard setup offering most of what I'd use in Live with Reaktor and such - with the luxury of still having Live et al.
The MEK is just lovely lol

Can I be honest here ?
The Octatrack can be as FSU as you want or need and can seriously fuck with audio in ways you wouldn't think possible.
I tend to use it more for sample / sound manipulation that anything else I own and it can really mangle the living hell out of audio and is a superb glitch box for all sorts of weird shenanigans. Just be prepared for a bit of a hefty learning curve after getting one.
I've had mine for around 4-5 months and while I've used it a lot I have barely scratched the surface of what it cam do.
This track below "Gelatine" is all Octatrack, Analog Four, Monomcahine, Nord Modular & Novation Nova - the Nova and NMG1 are being sequenced by the Octatrack and all sample base percussion, glitching etc is done by the Octrack also. Just to give you some idea of how utterly demented a box of tricks it is. God I love Elektron. As usual i mix and produce everything in Logic Pro.

https://soundcloud.com/venndiagram/gelatine

clementshawes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Venn, love the track; if I may be so bold, it has a feeling of Autechre and Tipper while remaining original!

How do you find sequencing from the OT? One consistent complaint I've seen is that ext gear is a PITA to sequence and limited to monophonic only - not a prob with the NM I should think but the Nova?
Aside from the random, probability and generative gubbins of the Cirklon, I wanted a hardware sequencer that could play/rec polyphonic notes. The Cirklon stands above the other hardware seq's I know of due to it offering the 'crazy' extras.

Venn Diagram

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The OT will sequence chords via Midi - I don't know who told you that gem (very odd indeed). Even the Monomachine will do that for you.
The front panel allows you to input a root note + 3 other notes per step.
The sequencer is probably one of the easiest parts of the OT to learn IMHO. Very easy to have individual track (step lengths and play back divisions per track) using scale functions also.
If you use scale functions correctly its quite feasible to get 8 bar sequences against 1 bar, 2 bar, 3 bar sequences or sequences with odd things like say 25 steps against 48 on aonther track and so on and so forth.
Tracks can also be anywhere from 2 times the master tempo to 3/2 of master tempo, 3/4 of master tempo, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 of master tempo also and master clock reset for all patterns can be specified in steps or set to infinite so all tracks forever loop around one another.
Things like micro-timing are a god send also allowing you to shift events of the grid in really quirky ways.
You can parameter lock up to 10 Midi CC's + PB and AT per step also and the 3 LFO's can control Midi CC's too so lots of flexibility on that front.
It clearly isn't gong to be as fully featured as a Cirklon but it is damn powerful and anything that needs more conventional sequencing I can do with Logic.
But as you can tell by that track it can be as intricate as you want or need it to be or as simple and straight forward as you want/need also.

clementshawes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ahh, so Elektron followed through the sequence setup that I was used to on the MachineDrum Mk1.
I think I see where the advice came from, I can't hit three notes on my keyboard directly recorded into the OT?

Polyrhythmic is desirable and mixing tempo sounds divine.

Venn Diagram

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

clementshawes wrote:
Ahh, so Elektron followed through the sequence setup that I was used to on the MachineDrum Mk1.
I think I see where the advice came from, I can't hit three notes on my keyboard directly recorded into the OT?

Polyrhythmic is desirable and mixing tempo sounds divine.

It's the sample side that is "monophonic" from a sequencing view point.
You can't go importing digicyclic waveforms for example into the OT and play chords with them on a single track.

Venn Diagram

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh and thanks for feedback on the track.
Oddly enough i listen to neither Autechre or Tipper.
Most of my electronic tastes are more in the Murcof, Oval, Trentmoller, Orbital, MuM, Matzos, Alva Noto, Christian Fennesz, Mouse on Mars, bvdub, Leftfield, Plaid, Flanger, Atom Heart and ambient kind of fields.
Though i absolutely adore soundtrack work which is stupidly evident on a lot of my material.

clementshawes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm looking for a sequencer first, the fact it's an fx processor/sampler sweetens the deal.

So I can/'t record and playback poly notes to/from external gear?

I'm going to read the manual and pay some attention this time Wink

clementshawes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I love Murcof, Mouse on Mars, MuM and more.
My Soundcloud app isn't working well on my phone but I'll be sure to follow you when I can Smile

Antimon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If I may play devil's advocate and offer a g.a.s.-mask, I have found the Octatrack to be something that is almost always a struggle to use. When I want to do something, it's not seldom that I end up trying/failing and looking through manuals for an hour before I work it out, and by that time inspiration is gone and I have forgotten what it was I wanted to do in the first place.

I have been able to learn it a bit better, and I have come to terms that it is a tool that I can use for a limited amount of the tasks involved with making music, but I will never be able to make it the center of music making the way I thought it would turn out when I got it. I find midi sequencing awkward.

That said, the explanation for this may be that it's my first Elektron machine, and I'm probably not a groovebox kind of guy at all (I have realised). I've been using Live for some time now, and everything I can do on the Octatrack can be done in Live, and faster. The Octatrack has a nice filter though.

Page 2 of 4 [78 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: