electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Using Casio SK-1 mic input as live audio?
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
jamal666

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Using Casio SK-1 mic input as live audio? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, not sure if any of you are familiar with the Casio RAPMAN but when you input audio to it, it plays live through the speaker.

I'd like to get my SK-1 to do the same thing. I don't care if I lose the sampling feature.

Any tips?
Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

According to the block diagram in the service manual, there is a mixer before the final output stage. You might be able to short the line in to that mixer, and still retain sampling function.

http://www.burnkit2600.com/manuals/CASIO_SK-1_SRVC.pdf

Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a better copy:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/2udhnym34ny/SK1_ServiceManual.pdf

I'm not sure where the mixer is though. I only see one amp symbol in the schematic, and that is the power amp for the output.

new voodoo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have one and a sk-5 as well, or whjatever the one with the 4 octagnal pads is called.
i think its just a simple electret mic running into a 386 (lm386)-type opamp. You could just replicate the mic-to-amp circuit by itself..or, alternately, just stick a distortion pedal on a decent mic & get the same sound generally. I mean, its not really hi fidelity--and it might be easier to replicate the sound than waste a cool synth with LOTS of potential just to get the sound after a good bit of effort.

I dunno, but I got the schematics somewhere, Ill attach em to this pst tomrrow am.
new voodoo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sorry all i could find was the 5 schematics but here:

CASIO_SK-5.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  CASIO_SK-5.pdf
 Filesize:  14.87 MB
 Downloaded:  252 Time(s)

MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Evidently, in 2006 someone had both service manuals. See the comments at: http://www.matrixsynth.com/2006/01/brothers-separated-at-birth.html . Perhaps you can track down that person for a copy of the Rap-Man Service Manual to do a comparison.
Steve
timd3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What I usually do to find an input for this type of thing is hook up a cable - one end to something that makes noise and the other to a female jack. ground the sleeve of the jack to the circuit ground of what you're working on (speaker "-" is usually a good spot) and poke around with the circuit with a wire connected to the tip of the jack. When you are poking around and hear your noise source, you've found your input. If the input is distorted, you can run a pot in series with that wire to tame it a bit.

**Use batteries to power the keyboard when poking around. You can avoid a shock this way.

Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Jump to: