electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
The story behind all that kitchen spam
Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: The story behind all that kitchen spam Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got curious about the spam, which has appeared all over the place, not just here on this forum. Turns out this all originates from one person, Vance Miller http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vance_Miller

From what I have seen elsewhere, people from Idonesia and Pakistan are doing the dirty work by posting the spam on various random forums. These are real people, not bots, and they are probably paid less than peanuts for it.

But why all the spam? It's not very good advertisement, and it gives the company a bad reputation. It's for better placement on Google and other search engines as I understand it. Obviously Mr Miller has no concern for his reputation...

Anyway, I just tought I'd post what I saw afer a quick search... Interesting to see what goes on behind the scenes some times. Maybe someone who knows more can chime in too. Smile

DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, that's one place I'll never buy anything from then. Great PR Laughing
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the details behind the spam and for the article link. Too bad there are no fines for littering on the internet.
Steve
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

callling them is probably not very usefull

you could filter it
Quote:
How to fight back
We too get SPAM on our forum, this being just one of them I got today. We have found that blocking email addresses is a waste of time, blocking IP addresses does work, for a period of time, but the way I like the best, we edit their message via forum filters.

Thus the SPAM posting today looks like this:

Quote:

SPAMcrap Units London. 12 SPAMcrap units plus oven set for only £595. s01id w0odSPAMcrap.co.uk. Best value SPAMcrap units in London. Tel 01234-67890. SPAMcrap Units London

They get 0 benefit from the posting and readers get a laugh. And of course it gets deleted and the poster blocked once seen by an admin or mod.

Quote:
Flimsy Kitchens Ipswich
Kitchens in Ipswich with dangerous appliances for only £595, Tel 01616-694785 Worst value kitchens in Ipswich . Dodgy Kitchens Ipswich

Quote:
Kitchen scum Yorkshire
Dodgy Kitchens in Yorkshire with dangerous appliances for only £595, Tel 01616-694785
Worst value kitchens in Yorkshire. Kitchens Yorkshire

Quote:
Cheap I'm a WANKER and SPAM. http://www.MYKITCHENSREALLYSUCK.co.uk . £ 595 full I'm a spammy wanker with appliances. TEL Ding ding ding <-- ring me Im acunt. Cheap kitchens sale now on.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When we used "View Unread Posts." we can look at these individually in order to clear them.

Another way is to save those for last, then go back to the forum and click Clear all Unread Posts.

Are there any other ways, such as a check box for each with a bulk Mark as Read?

Just wondering--not suggesting the BB software be rewritten if the feature isn't there already.

Steve

Update: There is one thread I have been saving as unread because I want to read it all when I have a large chunk of time, so I didn't want to use the the "Mark Forum as Read" option. However, since 3 of these were in News, I went to that forum and marked just that forum read, there by preserving the one I am saving in my unread list. Cool option!
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like that stuff Phobos.... would help kill their google results too...
[Q]

Audio files: 57

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://electro-music.com/forum/download.php?id=35497

Smile
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

brilliant!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On a special request I've added the word ... kitchen .. I mean k i t c h e n Confused to the word censor .. too bad it does not work on links tho ...

Last edited by blue hell on Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and it has some side fx too Rolling Eyes

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=kitchen&t=48757

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=kitchen&t=53005

at least it is non destructive, all will be normal again when the word censor is cleaned up.

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

heheh look at them trying to bypas the filters, adding spcaes and different characters.
of course that makes the whole post worthless because it won't show if you search for
that-word-of-which-we-shall-not-speak. And it slows them down (for now),. time is money.

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I now have a strange compulsive need to try to catch stroopwafel-posts before they disappear.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
I now have a strange compulsive need to try to catch stroopwafel-posts before they disappear.

Hmm .. nasty .. sorry for thee collateral damage

adnauseam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Spamwafel
Subject description: Authetication?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This may be a stupid question but...

Have we considered requiring more authentication for new users?
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

More authentication - not sure what you mean, but it is not a stupid question, and I am open for suggestions.

Signup is open to almost everyone and that is something that we would like to keep.

The current procedure is that you sign up with a valid email address on which you will receive a confirmation link. Accounts will not be activated unless that confirmation has been seen by the forum software.

Before you can beam up the actual signup you will have to solve a little puzzle (which is not too hard to solve, it seems to take a couple of seconds to answer it, but sometimes up to a minute).

This keeps out a lot of unwanted sign ups ... stats for the last 27 hours or so say there were 15 correctly solved puzzles where 22 were tried and there were 868 bot sign ups who didn't even try (so no account was made for those).

Paul and me go through the daily signups a couple of times a day, and we will remove all that we do not like (which often is more than 50%). Removed accounts usually will result in an IP ban and an email address banl. IP ranges that are 'troublesome' are banned as a range well.

Currently Paul has some other obligations, and I am quite busy at work, so cleanup is not quite up to the usual standards right now.

If anyone has suggestions on how we could improve on this situation, I'm all ears - this stroopwafel stuff is very annoying.

modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 276
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

looks like some of the links are now working Sad
JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stroop waffles are delicious though, but try to get some decent quality ones. Asda's are crap but tesco's are mildly better OH GOD I'VE BECOME SPAM!

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They brought in some heavier artillery now: -S-t-r-o-o-p-w-a-f-e-l-s-!-
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah, I noticed one slipped through Surprised
new food for the filter! Cool

it does look like it has become less, or maybe it's because I get up later
and the admins have allready removed it.

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

how did this get through ? Shocked
it looks like the shields are down (test: kitchen)

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh yes, i had removed the translators, there are a lot of legit topics with kitchen in it and there was not much kitchenspam anymore ...

Anyways - its gone again.

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm more or less back on the job too, so the half life of a spam post should be decreasing again.

The phenomenon seems to be on the wane, at least here, but that said, there is probably another spam storm on the horizon.

Home,My Studio,and another view
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing

And then you need to pack, move, unpack, paint, clean, mow & what not, so I guess it'll be a couple of days more you will be busy Wink

Anyway, all help is appreciated!

Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: