electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Building a new bass / melody / lead synth
Page 2 of 3 [67 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
ashleym

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dave,
What a good idea..........

The Wasp filter has plus and minus CV inputs. The CGS matrix mixer has plus one way and minus the other controls too. So it is sort of covered. With my design I keep the attenuators separate from the modules so I can mix the CV levels with mixers or use simple passive attenuator and stack some bananas. This is in the spirit of Moog modulars.

You say you possibly send the ADSRs into the VCO. Have you thought of using a couple of these, one for each VCO?

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/topic-64769.html

Giving +/- options to modulation. If you think they would be useful drop me a PM

Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Ash , i've got +/- adsr on my ASM-2 synth i built a while ago , im going for what i've got so far , thanks for the link tho , cheers.

Here we have the final Panel layout , going to mull over it this weekend to see if i've missed anything Smile

Dave.

mfos synthSept 2013 longer 600mm panel v3.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  925.14 KB
 Viewed:  703 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

mfos synthSept 2013 longer 600mm panel v3.JPG

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi.....

Fixed a few alignment mistakes and i have double checked that the jack socket & switch retaining washers & nuts do not foul any text .
A few things i've squeezed in at the last min.

Two level pots for the input to the lockhart wavefolder.

A switch to cut the gate in to the filter ADSR's 1&2 so they can be triggered seperate from the VCA- ADSR's 3&4.

I think i've ironed out all the little errors now , the final final panel before vinyl printing Cool

Final design X1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  938.25 KB
 Viewed:  464 Time(s)

Final design X1.JPG

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some of the smaller stripboard circuits , CGS burst generator and Roman Sowa frequency dividers, now wired and ready to test , all the main modules are coming from the modular.

Burst Gen and freq dividers.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  103.12 KB
 Viewed:  458 Time(s)

Burst Gen and freq dividers.JPG

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi

After doing some tests with the light purple vinyl and the black text i decided on the orange colour for better contrast of the text & dials.

After getting home from the printers shop with 2 prints of the panel (it was quicker to do the drill template the same colour) , the good finishing print is lying in wait for the drilling to start over the weekend Smile

A quick pic of the drill sticker'd aluminium sheet sitting in the wooden case.

Dave.

Drill template sticker.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  153.82 KB
 Viewed:  449 Time(s)

Drill template sticker.JPG

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Progress.....

Got back from work and went straight to the shed Smile

First job, use a center punch & hammer and center dent all the crosshairs.
then gave the front a spray with drill cutting oil and drill the 230 odd holes with the stand drill at 3mm , that does the fixing holes top & bottom and a pilot hole for all the others.
Then 6mm bit for the toggle switches and pilot for pots n sockets.
8mm bit for the pots.
10mm for the rotary switches.
11mm for the sockets.

Peeled off the oily smeared template sticker then
sanded with fine grade P1000 wet'n'dry on the front and a rough sanding on the back.
Quick spray of automotive carb cleaner and wiped all the dust & grit away,
Then i washed the panel with warm water and washing up liquid and applied the good sticker , you can use a can of adhesive de-activator or a little soapy water to allow adjustment of the lineing up.

Next job , take a craft knife blade and slice out the holes and leave the panel for a couple of days to let the few air bubbles contract.

Dave.

Back of drilled panel.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  146.6 KB
 Viewed:  423 Time(s)

Back of drilled panel.JPG

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Out of bed early this morning to start fitting the toggle switches , starting to take shape now Smile

Toggle switches.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  217.87 KB
 Viewed:  452 Time(s)

Toggle switches.JPG

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi , slowly coming together, been chipping away after work , built the noise circuit from the mfos ultimate on stripboard, some buffers to distribute cv's & gates to different areas of the synth , and ive stripped down 2 vco's / 2 vcf's & 2 ADSR's from the main modular , need to lengthen the wires going to the new panel.
Also sorted out my wedge case power supply.

The panel so far ....

panel populating.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  225.56 KB
 Viewed:  487 Time(s)

panel populating.JPG

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The power supply.
I have totalled up the current needed on +12v line and -12v line and i need 550mA / 420mA respectively , i built a mfos adjustable power supply with just the regulators & volt adjust area of circuit , i have a large diy Raw DC power supply that powers the whole modular system , the rectified and smoothed DC from the main power station distributes to multiple regulator busbars which usually have 8 to 10 modules per busbar inside my main blue system.

All of this orange new synth is +/- 12V , keeps things simple Smile

here is a pic of each of the main 12V 1.5A regulators on 150mm long alum "L" bar and a smaller "L" bar for the 9V 1A regulator which supplies the Behringer FX600 & RAT distortion.
The green sockets are 3pin (+12 / 0v / -12) and the stripey long lead is +9V.

The switch at the side is a double pole rocker , power switch to break the incoming +/- Raw DC.

Dave.

power supply for raw DC.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  234.9 KB
 Viewed:  388 Time(s)

power supply for raw DC.JPG

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi
Wiring has started , first job, the 2 mfos vco's transplanted from the blue modular to this synth , then the dual frequency dividers (Roman Sowa) for vco 1 & 2 sub osc's , Ken Stone simple wave folder for vco 1 , 5Pulser (Ian Fritz) for vco2 , mixers for vcf1 & vcf2 (mfos simple mixers) and a couple of buffers to send the sum of mixer1 to vcf2 and vice-versa (that gives the option of 2 vco's to either vcf).

Also have the mfos 24dB filter & 12dB svvcf wired in with a toggle switch to route vcf1 cutoff control to vcf2 cutoff for twin sweeps with the one dial.

Just bolted on the filter ADSR's which i need to lengthen a couple of leads.

pcb's & veroboards made already but still to hook up...
dual vca.
vca ADSR's.
6-lfo's.
noise circuit.
S & H.
Burst generator.
FX600 multi-FX.
RAT distortion.

a few pix of what's been soldered so far.

Dave.

Boards and panel.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  321.72 KB
 Viewed:  412 Time(s)

Boards and panel.JPG

pcbs & panel.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  247.38 KB
 Viewed:  432 Time(s)

pcbs & panel.JPG

ashleym

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Part of me likes the front of your synth and the other part likes the jumble of wires and boards on the back!! I think that says more about me than you.

Good build. Keep up the flow of pictures please.

Paradigm X

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah, cool stuff skrog, amazing how quick you work
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy
Thanks Ash ,
how is your filter module coming along ?
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Paradigm X wrote:
yeah, cool stuff skrog, amazing how quick you work

Thank you , as long as i take a rest from wiring regularly then im ok with concentration levels Smile Smile
ashleym

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Skrog Productions wrote:
Very Happy

how is your filter module coming along ?

I am awaiting the final PCB from the Bridechamber, a CS80 board. In the mean time I have just filled a couple of Fonik Henry Thomas 555 envelopes. Unfortunately I have run out of my scraps of Molex connectors etc etc so I have just put in a Rapid order. Also because I need some vatrols and odd chips an order has gone in to Farnell........

These are ADSRs you can loop and turn into LFOs and they have an LED for each stage....mmmmm.....lights

Of course with MTA type power connectors there are the headers for this and a crimp tool. I am filling up with different crimp tools. Do I need them? Sort of, they make life a lit easier and I like a tool Bug squash

I also try to avoid the eBay chip purchase but sometimes this cant be done, especially as some of the module designs stick with the older chips from the original design. 3080s in the EDP Wasp filter as still pretty easy to get but the 3280s for the CS80 filter are a little more rare. And I do want to get one that works!!

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Smile , yes , if i have no luck with cricklewood electronics London for any chips that rapid or farnel don't have , i too order from HongKong , only takes a couple of weeks to come, bit like royal mail Very Happy

Wires wires wires , just enough room to fit boards 18 / 19 & 20 on the white "L" bracket (2"x 2" Electrical containment pvc trunking sawed to length & bolted to panel) .

Couple of silly faults found only on my veroboard circuits .... 2 surplus isolator holes , bridged now and a resistor leg in the wrong hole, fixed now , and a red faced moment when the 6 lfo's were pulsing crazily and randomly , yes, i had not connected the 0V ground tail wire for all the pots to 0V at the supply , deary me , heh , nevermind .
Here is another pic at the latest stage , getting busy round the back of the panel now.

Dave.

just add meatball sauce.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  546.96 KB
 Viewed:  279 Time(s)

just add meatball sauce.JPG

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked Nice space ship Laughing

and a great picture that too Exclamation

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Smile thanks Jan Smile
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

2 more boards fixed in , a Ken Stone burst generator , hooked it up to the scope after no-chip test & "is the chip/chip's getting hot" test , passed both Smile Smile and it seems to be bursting with trigger pulses quite good , and the other board is the level converters for the stompbox fx circuits.
Next job , de-box & dismantle a Behringer FX600 pedal & transplant into the synth , this and the Rat distortion have to be patched on the panel , i thought about hard wiring them but there was room for sockets Smile

another pic of round the back

Well stuffed.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  369.3 KB
 Viewed:  292 Time(s)

Well stuffed.JPG

Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How are the boards supported? It looks like it might be a lot of weight on the larger boards if they are only supported at the front.
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Jake , the boards don't flex when it sits in the box ( i've peeked inside with a torch Very Happy , i was curious last week ) , each has 2 fixings per board to the bar , there is not a huge weight in a populated board and the wiring acts as soft brace , it will never go on the road because it's power supply comes from the blue monster's substation Very Happy

power for just 1 more module.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  238.87 KB
 Viewed:  256 Time(s)

power for just 1 more module.jpg

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FX dismantle & wiring this weekend Smile.
I have taken the pcb out of the stompbox case and it looked quite difficult to take the pots off the manufactured pcb without damaging tracks so, i decided just to snip the pot legs with cutters , leave the pots in place but not connected and run wires from the snipped legs sticking up from the pot thru holes and sleeve them with heatshrink , this allows me to re-assemble the stompbox if i ever need to , unlikely Smile.

All the pots are 47K , easy job , but the fx type selection is operated by a pot , im going to change this to a rotary switch with resistors between the poles to emulate the fx select pot action.

the last board , hurrah ! Smile

Dave.

FX1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  185.62 KB
 Viewed:  246 Time(s)

FX1.JPG

FX pot legs snip.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  173.79 KB
 Viewed:  240 Time(s)

FX pot legs snip.JPG

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Skrog Productions wrote:
All the pots are 47K , easy job , but the fx type selection is operated by a pot , im going to change this to a rotary switch with resistors between the poles to emulate the fx select pot action.

make it voltage controlled Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heh , do you think the fx chip would catch fire if i changed between fx at audio rates Wink Smile Smile
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hullo

I connected all the power connections and hooked up to the modular supply's Raw DC output yesterday , No magic smoke , hurrah Smile , had 5 trips from studio to soldering workbench to fix several little errors on my part , only 1 of my veroboard circuits playing up , the mfos micro-sample n hold , i robbed an LF444 from my soundlab++ to try it out , great triggers coming from it , but a rather lame cv with no stepping , i'll take a look at all my tracks with a magnifying glass , likely a sliver of copper somewhere , or something else silly.
Left the synth running for 3 hours yesterday and i do need some air flow around the 12v heatsinks , trip to the local DIY store for a couple of 50mm round, push in air vents & try to find the 50mm holesaw in the work van.

Final pix to come and sounds after the weekend.

Dave.
Page 2 of 3 [67 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: