electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Casio MT series are a joy to bend!
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
YamahaPSR6

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Casio MT series are a joy to bend!
Subject description: Casio MT MT-52 , MT-800, MT-45
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A fast shitty youtube video of my MT-52

I did not mess at all with the tones. Objective was to find a way of either mute the drums and cymbals which were too loud or find some volume control to the accompaniament volume which was very low.

Also I did not want to mess with the appearance of it, as I like its aesthetics a lot.

I did find various tricks to amplify the chord / accompaniament and bass volumes and even found a filter-sounding control potentiometer.

Total materials : one 8 DIP switch and one potentiometer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtFOVUWLB6A

There are many more bends in there!
YamahaPSR6

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: MT-800 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey hellos

here a vid of the MT-800

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiQ7d1sJd2g&feature=youtu.be

this is way better done that the previous. I should so another demo of MT-52
even though its kind of dark...

my computer is too oldie for this shit, got to get a new one...

I haven't done much sequenced muzic apart from jammings and hiphop these last years..

this is just me gathering up sound materials/sources
YamahaPSR6

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I finally opened the MT-45 .

OK I understand this forum is totally the wrong crowd for this.

but have my word for it:

all three, mt-52, mt-800, mt-45

fucking rule for circuit bending

but let me let you anothah thing

I seriously suspect the mt-45 is the best of them all three, in the "bendable" department.

Then again it depends... If I bent keyboards 10 years ago I would go for the noise bends and all.

cheers
YamahaPSR6

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK. start playing this dudes and then maybe read what i have to say

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6074540/2013/casio%20mt-45%20super%20bent.mp3

this is the freshly bend mt-45, hooked up into by monitors but recorded by shitty computer mic !??!

this is recorded live and is a total improvisation of a variation from a 'song' I seem to have written on these 80's appregiator keyboards (I wrote it on a bontempi)

it seems I only write in this thread. I love to talk about philosophy of music and music as creation since many years. But not the elitist type. I think I will use this material for an upcoming blog project on circuit bending I have in mind.

OK I get it , casio mt 's might be considered 'last year' for an experienced bender. I dont see it. I see dosens of uninspired mt-videos. no music and no attempt to enhance the musical (and popularly semi-analogue) character of those oldies - some of which sound really warm. OK, maybe I have focused too much on the technology of techno-geek benders all this time, and all this shit about different technology about the keyboards and all, but not so much about the music playd by fellow minders. Maybe yes - its because I paused so wonderfully pleased by the view and of course sound of these oldies.

Thing is I haven't seen bent casio mt's that rule as mine in their bending philosophy - maybe its because most bending demos are from people who do not really play music or even just bend keyboards for a living. It's more than propable that these people did I decent job searching and bulding these things, but just did no know to play and show off the the damn-bent keyboard after all, and they dont bother with the chord and appregiator and more melodic stuffs, if not for a means of a rhythmic pattern to take advantage.

What I mean is I really rarely saw keyboards bend by musicians and bent exactly in the mentality " wow, nice sounding keyboard, I wonder what else we could fit on to make it awesome for live play "

As a genuine child of warranty void but genuine in myself, I have been collecting cheap "diamonds" and diamonds for some 9 months. I bent and checked out some of them.

I have a noise background. I like noise. If you dont believe me, listen to the last part of the linked mp3. Note this is a total noise imporvisation that came as an outro to the tune played. This was an one off recording, using only the mt - 45 and nothing else - and it was eve recorded by a shitty 3$ mic too!

Its totally understandable how someone would be tempted into making an mt into a noize box, lured in a pathway of finding more bends into a distorted heaven of multiple potentiometers. But its so much about where to put the bending points, and not so much about fitting as much switches and potentiometers as possible, IMO, at least so far, that's my spirit.

I already made two noise boxes from scratch, not counting the various effects and techinques I already had to make noise , so why would I turn the sweet casio mt's into noise boxes?

Let's get this straight: I am an electo/keys/keyboard/retro whore- well not whore, I loved them so much from my childhood and only now I came "close" to the circuits. In any case not the whore that likes it expensive, rather the whore that likes is cheap and dirty and true to the sound and spirit!

My latest entry is a rare 5 octave farfisa from around 1979 with half poly-tones "burnt" , its still awesome, the fastest accompaniament section I have heard, unfortunately without an appregiator

This is a determining factor in what the bending mentality and funtions will be : the non- commercial bender will have his own criteria for what bending point to utilise and what not. 10 years ago, If I was in to bending, I am sure I would render each keyboard into a noise machine or at least try to introduce a healthy portion of noise functions in them. (more a noise friend, and younger in age and spirit in it too

From where I come now, I have an immense repect for the most old keyboards, and especially unseen, underestimated ones, I always liked the retro and cheap sound, but all this experience these plast months was very satisfying for me. The seeming 'keyboard frenzy' of mine had me playing in various different instruments, and through it, I did awesome practice. I am not really a good player. Just a passionate one. And I play really well if I fucking like the shit and all.

I did not make none of my mts into noise machines - on the contrary, in each occasion, mt-52, mt-800, mt-45, I went with what the keyboard circuit could offer (and I could find) to add functionability, playability, features in already awesome keyboards. I love them too much. They each have their character, after their bent, and its a character I found both inside it but also helped " unleash" :

mt-52 offers filter like sounds and a wide variety of variations on manipulations in the bass and chord section. Because there are manyvaritions in the patterns, some patterns have appregiator and it kind of ounds like a much lesser bent mt-45 (now that I did it) . There were lots more there to find, so dont under estimate this already awesome keyboard with almost drum-machine qualities (many drums/rhtyhms variations) You can sure install a filter like pot for both bass and chord section. My design was minimal, a 8-dip switch and a pot.

my mt-800 is well bent with countless variations yet to be explored through the 2x6dip swich matrix , and I also have some simple novelties here, No potentiometer , but a matrix of 2 6xdip switches assignable to buttons and switches . mt-800 has awesome sound and a I found an awesome appregiator mode where the tones run in an appreg like algorhythm. And with such a neat sounding keyboard, the tone variations count some bits.

The best bending design is the design that utilised the most functions YOU find the most useful and interesting sounding of all existing in those god damn semi-analogue casios

the mt-45 , oh the mt -45 . I just finished bending it.

oh the mt-45 has some real neat manipulations

its not very pretty ( I did some nasty job with paint) . And Its perfectly expendable, I mean there's lot of space you want to push it .

4 pots and 6x 3*point*switches

in detail

each one of the

appregiator, bass, closed HH (with and option of open HH too) , and even fucking tones, are each assignable to either the high pass filter or the band pass filter, and if you assigns of things, really fat sounds occur.

I guess this what some of those dude that sell bent stuff in ebay have done , but just cant play the fucking thing melodically to show they have not just fucked up with distortions...

there's some keyboards that have so huge potential for bending.

I would swear I have found the most precious points in , like a real high pass filter and band pass filter and you can assign them to anything like hihats sound, bass sound, appregiator sound, choard sound and even tones sound! This is obviously one of the best candidate keyboards for a huge project bend. You know with an extra panel and wooden finish and all. yep mt-45 is the king of them all, from my very limited experience. Unfortunately it's kind of regarded collective, well its pretty old. 1981 or 1982 ?

Some of the mt-45 bent sound resembles the highest moments of my mt-52. but the mt-45 's appregiator is all the money!

the main point of the early mt-45 is that is feats an appregiator, apart from the generally analogue character that is said that went out of fashion for yamaha and casio after 1981-1982 . Well , thankfully not for bontempi, so a number of awesome sweet sounding bontempis have appregiator function up to maybe 1985.

Did i tell you I love appregiators?
Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 143
G2 patch files: 318

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You are being read tho ... sorry did not have time yet to listen .. and not being a bender myself I wouldn't have much to add except a "like" maybe .. anyways ... will keep this topic "unread", as I am curious ...

Edit: oh, youtubes I see now ... that'll have to wait till Monday then - I've removed everything Adobe from my home computers, and blocked youtube too Shocked

YamahaPSR6

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for chiming in bro, it's alright, I understand it's more of a musicians forum.

Maybe linking my bent devices with some recording would be a good deal to reveal how these bent devices could be used and for that matter how I could use them in making a "song"

Well that dropbox link there is pretty much a "song" , instrumental so far, recorded lousy I am afraid.

Truth is, that like I said, I have been gathering up equipment, bending some and playing jamming sessions with them and friends. I seriously like it the most for now and you can get some of the most intense peaks while live playing in some cozy home.

I haven't done anything studio fro years apart from some hiphop tracks these last 3 years, and I think I am starting to miss studio composing a bit.
Muied Lumens
Stream Operator

Audio files: 240

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm also reading out of interest, even though I don't bend that much.

This is definitely not just a musician's forum, there are a lot of DIY oriented people around. Smile

Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 143
G2 patch files: 318

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Had expected things to be more noisy ... and I don't know what the keyboards would sound like un-bent, but they sound like cheesy 80ties organs to me now Shocked

That mp3 is very nice tho - the mt-45 one, especially the end.

PHOBoS

Audio files: 319

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Keep doing what you're doing, you seem to getting good results with those keyboards Very Happy. I've only bent some toys myself and most of it was actually
more adding circuits then bending. I personally wouldn't use dipswitches though, if you don't want to ruin the looks you could consider using an
external box for switches/pots and put a (sub-D) connector on the keyboad.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Jump to: