electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
LFO sync ?
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Jason

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: LFO sync ? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Greetings,

Even though I have had my G2 engine for many months I have barely cracked the surface of its potential, so forgive me if the answer to this is self evident.

Manual Excerpt
"Note that the Clk sync mode is only available in the LfoB and LfoShpA modules"

Given this information, this means that for every LFO module that I select to BPM mode for rate I must dial in my desired tempo and therefore it isn't being synced to the incoming clock? I wonder why this is? It can be quite alot of clicking for a patch that has many LFO's all needing to be changed to BPM mode then to the correct BPM value. A key command for this could be useful in my opinion. I wonder what I am missing here?
Anyone have any opinions on this issue in general or topic the of LFO sync?

Thank You,
Jason
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome Jason...

If you wan't stuff synced to a tempo clock, use the modules that have this feature. If you want music more temporally advanced, use modules suitable for that.

I probably am completly missing your point, but I wanted to say hello...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: LFO sync ? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jason wrote:
this means that for every LFO module that I select to BPM mode for rate I must dial in my desired tempo and therefore it isn't being synced to the incoming clock?

Yes, if you want to sync to master or incoming clock, you have to use CLK mode which is only available on LFOB or the ShapeLFO. The BPM mode is just another way of expressing the frequency, for those who think in BPM rather than Hz and CPS. Wink

On the plus side, it does default to 120 Smile
Jason

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: cool Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc & g2ian Thank you for your kind replies!
I am very happy to be here.
Yes g2ian thanks for clearing things up and giving me a different way to look at things! Just what I needed actually & now I am not as frustrated.
Sincerely,
J
King Rat

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just a thought - if you want to adjust the rate for lots of LFO modules that are set to BPM, you can just assign them all to the same morph source (which, in turn, you can assign to a knob) and set the same morph range on each. With a bit of experimentation, you could work out how you need to adjust the morph control (and range) to give you the desired change in BPM...
Also, with regards to your MIDI clock sync question, this thread might help...
http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-4091.html&highlight

Angus
sebber

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 33

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I need another hint here: how do I sync to a clock at different ratios than the ones in ClkMode? Say, a clock and two lfo's and one lfo should run at a ratio of 1.1 and the other at a ratio of 1.2 of the clock.
King Rat

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If by 1.2 you mean "one point two" and not one half (which is easily done with the CLK setting), then I would guess that you would have to use a combination of the 1/96 Clock module logic output with a clock divider module (e.g. set to 80 to give you a 1.2 ratio - or 20 I guess if you want 4.8 beats per common time bar) to give you the desired ratio and combine this with a Zero Crossing counter patched to the rate input on the LFO.
Something like this maybe?
Angus

LFO sync fraction.pch2
 Description:
LFO clock sync ratio

Download
 Filename:  LFO sync fraction.pch2
 Filesize:  918 Bytes
 Downloaded:  1015 Time(s)

sebber

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 33

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

King Rat, thanks for giving me the idea. I changed your patch a little bit and added level amplifiers to get any ratios I want.

I think I already read it somewhere, but could someone please explain to me, why the lfo's need to be set to RateLo 0.64 Hz?

Ah, releave, I was going nuts about this. I drink to your health, King Rat.

lfo_sync_fractio2.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  lfo_sync_fractio2.pch2
 Filesize:  1.51 KB
 Downloaded:  1079 Time(s)

King Rat

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Presumably, if you're triggering/gating envelopes, depending on the shape of control signal you require, you could get away without using LFOs at all... Just use the logic signal straight from the clock divider with a pulse module for a longer duration, glide module to add a slope etc. etc. as necessary.
Could use clock dividers in series to get that perfect ratio!
Angus
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: