electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Rob Adventures in Sound
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Building an LFO powered from the gate CV
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Bacon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Building an LFO powered from the gate CV Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been searching for an answer to this question on these forums and elswhere but no luck so far:
Is it possible to build a simple and inexpensive LFO that can be powered from a standard +5V gate CV?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of buying an Arturia Microbrute and I'd like to add an LFO mainly for PWM duties so th internal LFO gets freed up for vibrato. I'll use the Microbrute mainly for soloing in a band setting, so applying vibrato is a must but it would also be nice to be able to have PWM controlled by an LFO at the same time.

I'd like to power the LFO from the Microbrute's gate CV so I won't need yet another PSU to worry about, and I only need the LFO running when I'm actually playing a note so it doesn't have to be powered constantly.
If this is impossible, an LFO that I could power from a wall wart would be OK.

Any suggestions?
roglok

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i don't think a gate signal will double as a reliable source of power. how about using a rechargeable 9V battery? also, how high do you need the LFO level to be?
Bacon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

roglok wrote:
i don't think a gate signal will double as a reliable source of power. how about using a rechargeable 9V battery? also, how high do you need the LFO level to be?

OK, a battery seems like a compromise I could live with.

I really don't know how high the level needs to be. As high as the Microbrute PWM CV input needs to produce a musically useful PWM is the only answer I can give at this time. I haven't bought a Microbrute yet (I don't even think it's in the shops yet) so I can't tell what voltages it expects. If I do get one I guess I could measure the voltage on the Microbrute's LFO CV out.

I'm certainly no novice when it comes to synthesizers – I've been using analog and digital synths since the mid 80s – but interfacing stuff with CVs and gates is a new area for me, since I entered the synth world just when MIDI had become commonplace.
diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

try pm'ing yves for answers he is very helpful
and as he designed it he will definitely know. he is Yusynth on this forum.
I expect the LFO will be standard output levels of +/-5v.
same for your PWM input , also from the microbrute video's
the CV outputs will drive more than one destination , 3 or 4 reliably i think
although of course that still leaves you with only the one LFO rate, not ideal.
A thomas henry controller LFO would probably be a good candidate for an addition , Fonik may still have boards but you would have to check .
could be built into a small hammond type enclosure with a wall wart supply.

as good an answer as any
Bacon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check with Yves if he can nudge me in the right direction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: