electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Atari Punk Pots
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 5 of 5 [105 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
datapark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tronato wrote:
Hello:

At this point you must forgive my ignorance: I've seen these boards around for a very long time and have never understood how to use them..
I have always used boards like the one para uses in page 3 of this thread,
where a series of holes are united in a strip and to interrupt the strip you just make a hole.
I can't understand how to use the pure hole boards... maybe you put the component in the holes, solder it and then when you want to send it's signal to another component you solder a wire to it and then solder the other end of the wire to the other component... so you then heat the component twice, first to install it and then to connect it. And what if the signal has to go to more than one destination? So, presumably, the copper side of the board must be quite messy. Must be hell to troubleshoot!

If somebody in the Forum more knowledgable could explain to me the benefits of this type of breadboard, I'd be very happy. Perhaps I've been wrong all my life!

I'm a firm believer that if a circuit looks nice it will most likely work. So during the process of making it look nice you are already troubleshooting for possible mistakes in advance. I don't particularly enjoy the so called Rat's Nest type of result!

But then that is just my opinion.

Thanks!

TRON

PS: Did you understand why I recommend IC Sockets?

I see the point of a lot of what you said. I have nothing against grabbing something more suitable for the job. Besides, this board is huge. Last I heard this project could fit in a mint tin. The size of the board could easily hold 3 of those tins :p

And yeah, I see why you'd recommend the IC sockets and I'll definitely take that advice.

Thanks! Smile

RKHobbs wrote:
That jack is NOT for a phone, despite the name.
It is a regular 1/4" jack like the kind you plug a guitar into.

It's called a phone jack because the old telephone company switchboards used that kind of plug.

Well I assumed the jack I chose was ok as it was listed as 1/4"... in fact, i still don't get what really differentiates the one I chose with the other option posted... beyond mounting maybe.

Either way, his looks nicer so I'll probably go that route anyway Very Happy

Tronato

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello!

See this article and you'll understand what I mean about Perfboards

http://itp.nyu.edu/physcomp/Tutorials/SolderingAPerfBoard

What a mess! It's so east to do an unwanted solder bridge!

Oh, buy a desoldering pump... they're cheap and VERY helpful!

This is another article that explains how to use the Veroboard, also called Stripboard and is the one I prefer

http://www.mitedu.freeserve.co.uk/Prac/vero_circ/vero.htm

Even though a small drill (Dremmel) would be ideal to break the tracks I wouldn't buy one unless I decide to do a lot of this type of construction.

I use a very thin file that is narrow at the tip and gets thicker, I insert it in the hole and start turning it around until I see the copper track has been interrupted. Check with a magnyfying glass.

Otherwise I use one of those very small screwdrivers with an X in the tip (I think they're called Philips) and do the same.

I hope this helps you decide...

Thanks!

TRON

Edit: I also found this other article that more or less explains it all:
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/protostyles/proto_styles.htm#What's%20best?

TRON
Tronato

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Working 556 + 4017 APC Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello!
In the end did anybody get the 556 + 4017 Atari Punk Console combo to work?
It was a long discussion and today I found a 556 IC which I would like to use for this...
Thanks!
TRON
mesh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just built this, and twice had problems with volume being two low (first when I put it together on the breadboard, and then when I mounted it on prototype board.

In both cases, I had wired something wrong. Once hooking the speaker up to the wrong pin, and once forgetting to connect pins 5 and 8.

So, if you are running into the issue with the audio being too low, then you probably connected something wrong.

Btw, I used the schematic at the bottom of:

http://www.beavisaudio.com/library/555/555.htm

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

which is the best one I have seen yet.

Ill post pictures as soon as I get it in its case.

mesh
rossics

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Revived to post edited, working layout in hopes to stop people building an incorrect layout.

t_atari_punk_console_vero_141.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.02 KB
 Viewed:  2003 Time(s)

t_atari_punk_console_vero_141.gif

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 5 of 5 [105 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: