electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Wish List
Make the G2 Demo output like the MOTU Volta
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ersatzplanet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Make the G2 Demo output like the MOTU Volta
Subject description: Modify the Demo to output DC
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think Clavia would have a sellable product if they took the G2 Demo program and modified it to allow DC outputs through DC coupled audio interfaces like the MOTU Volta does. I am not a programer but it seems that it would not be that hard a thing to do since the majority of the software is written. They could just add the ability to pass DC to the Demo or they could craft a new program geared to that function (stripped of functions that would not be needed). The G2 Demo doesn't have the CV drawing abilities as the Volta but to do that with the Volta you need a DAW running. The Demo would have the advantage of being a stand alone CV creator with all the power of the G2's Sequencers and more. The only hurdle, and it is not a small one, is the Volta does auto scaling by sampling the external VCO's frequency and adjusting it's CV scaling. This may make it a lot tougher job.
-J

Falk

G2 patch files: 29

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: What makes you think it doesn't? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What makes you think it doesn't?

As I don't have a DC coupled audio-output I can't check but why would Clavia go to the trouble of putting in a software highpass filter?

They don't have that code on the real hardware.

Regards /Falk
ersatzplanet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What makes you think it doesn't? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Falk wrote:
What makes you think it doesn't?

As I don't have a DC coupled audio-output I can't check but why would Clavia go to the trouble of putting in a software highpass filter?

They don't have that code on the real hardware.

Regards /Falk

I (and others I hope) will have to try it out. I just assumed it didn't which I agree is a mistake. I have a first gen MOTU 828 and will give it a try as soon as I can. If it works - Clavia should be broadcasting this all over because of the hype that Volta is getting. I sure will be if it does work. Id course the Volta has that auto scaling thing but to the hardcore G2 user scaling is not a problem.
-James

varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ersatzplanet wrote:
If it works - Clavia should be broadcasting this all over because of the hype that Volta is getting. I sure will be if it does work.

The G2 hardware sure can do DC CV once you get around the DC blocking. I've been shouting about that here:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-12266.html

The G2 Demo should also be ready to go, you just need a DC capable audio output.

ersatzplanet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just plugged the G2 demo program into my MOTU 828 (Mk1) and hooked it up to my modular and it indeed passed DC voltages from a Sequencer module to my external modular. I had to use Amplifier modules to beef it up a bit and the scaling is a bit odd but I don't plan on driving dote data out it anyway. MIDI>CV converters do that well enough for me. But it seems to pass CV out fine. Too bad the Demo only outs 2 channels.

-James

exeterdown

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Nord CV Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nord modular CV would blow everything else out of the water.
Elektron's A4 would pale in comparison.

That would be my dream for a Nord G3.
4 CV and 4 Gate outputs in addition to their 4 audio I/O.
Considering the way Eurorack is moving, Korg joining in with the Volca stuff. I don't think it will be long before someone does it.
nabla

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Nord CV Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rather a modular within a modular

I was thinking more along the lines of volta where things are somewhat freely assignable.

eurorack format... the were able to come out with the micromodular!
Two rows of a set of 8 knobs, 8 switches and 8 jacks or more...all freely assignable...whatever seems sensible.
a single text screen
and a usb port to update the settings

maybe you could have one row or even one module as a sequencer
and then another row or module with filters, lfos, clocks, etc...

really I am just talking out of my ass since I haven't really patched a modular but I imagine that is how I would use it if I ever thought about getting modular.

exeterdown wrote:
Nord modular CV would blow everything else out of the water.
Elektron's A4 would pale in comparison.

That would be my dream for a Nord G3.
4 CV and 4 Gate outputs in addition to their 4 audio I/O.
Considering the way Eurorack is moving, Korg joining in with the Volca stuff. I don't think it will be long before someone does it.
exeterdown

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Haha - BAM!
http://monome.org/aleph/
trotz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Let's not forget that what makes Clavia Modulars so great is their software. Hell, even the crippled G2 Demo is a great piece of software! At this moment I see the aleph thing being nowhere as near in that aspect.

I also have dreams of a Clavia 48hp module that can be connected to the computer using an OSC open protocol, with 8 of everything: encoders, buttons, and universal ins and outs (audio and CV capable). It could be even expandable with optional +8 in/outs. It would be an Euro module, of course... but and optional case could also be sold for a desktop solution.

When the G2 came out, it didn't convince me because I was expecting the platform to evolve more into a Reaktor kind of environment, with samples and granular stuff. These days, the situation has changed and a purely "analog" Clavia G3 would be a must-have for many synthesists and I reckon it would have a greater potential of sales than their previous offerings.

In part, the G2 didn't have such a big impact because it was too similar to the original NM, which worked perfectly in so many aspects. This machine would have a different concept... it could even be designed in a way that it made sense to have more than one unit in a system.

Well, that's my wishful thinking, anyway... Laughing

Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Wish List
Jump to: