electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
8 channel eurorack preamp with volumes and mutes
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
djthopa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: 8 channel eurorack preamp with volumes and mutes Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi,

Hope you can help me out with a module im working on.

Each channel (there are Cool has a mini jack with audio coming in . This audio goes through a fader that controls the volume, and then passes through a switch to mute the channel, finally the audio goes out trough another mini jack.

Is not really a mixer, as there is no summing, and the channels are independent.

I have seen some faders:

faders

And some switches (button) lit:

Push buttons

My question is:

As the module is passive, there is no splitting or summing of signals, how do I add the illuminated faders and buttons? Do i Send the audio (which is voltage) trough the fader and after through the switch? Or make two separate ports?

Do you recommend any schematic or built? Do you Think I should do it with op amps? Which ones?

Im sorry but im a complete newby

Hope some one can help.

Thanks a lot!!!!

Last edited by djthopa on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If I understand it correctly ,. all you want to do is add level control (and mute) to several independent channels. So you would have as many outputs
as you have inputs. In that case there is no need to go active unless you want to boost the signal.

Do you want stereo or mono channels ? Mono would be easier to mute with a single switch. That pushbotton doesn't seem to be very usefull btw,
since you would have to hold it down to mute (or unmute depending on how you wire it up) the audio. It's not an on/off switch. I can't see the
faders you selected because it links to the buttons aswell.

Personally I wouldn't add LED's if you're using a passive circuit because then you will still need to power it somehow, unless it's part of something
else which has to be powered anyway. But If you do you could make it in such a way that the LED on the fader turns off when you mute the signal.

I'll draw a simple wiring diagram later,..

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
djthopa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hola!

After scratching my head for a while, if finally made the module based on 4 tl084, and around Ken Stone´s Dc mixer.

I added a volume slider for each channel, and a latching push button that becomes brighter when channel is muted. I also added 3904 transistors to open/ close the signal (mutes).

This is my first build from scratch, so I guess i´ve made a few design mistakes but module seems to be working fine, at least on the oscilloscope.

I plan to use it as a preamp mixer before sending signals to Expert Sleepers Es6-Es7 and then trough adat to the computer for multitrack recording.

About the wiring...I was going mad trying to solder two boards at the same time, so used this plug cables. They dont fold too nicely when attaching both boards.

Now i need a panel....

some pics from the post a muff's:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.[/img]
L´Andratté

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent work for first diy module!
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: