electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
CTRLR VST/Au plugin for Andromeda
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
sempervirent

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: CTRLR VST/Au plugin for Andromeda Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm starting work on the design of a CTRLR for the Andromeda. This will be a VST/AU interface for programming the Andromeda with your computer. It's been a long time coming, and the developer of CTRLR has begun the process of working out the details.

Please check this thread for updates:
http://ctrlr.org/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=30

I'll be posting rough mockups of the interface and would appreciate feedback from people who knows a lot about the architecture of the A6. Even after years of ownership I feel like there's a lot to learn. And I suspect that the interface will be very complex.
purpurkatten

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A VST interface to program the A6 would be GREAT! Best wishes! Smile
All A6 programming pros, don´t hesitate to put together your best patches and make them available on the Internet! If you´d like to charge a reasonable fee for others to download them, that is fine by me! The more attention and patches and community for the Andromeda, the better!
Shreddie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Please excuse my ignorance but what's the point in this? The Andromeda has a fantastic knob and button laden interface, why would anyone want to supplant that for something that needs a mouse?!

I could understand it if the interface on the Andromeda was as inpenetrable and useless as the one on the FS1R (indeed I use a PC editor for that) or if it was for some other synth without a good control surface, but the Andromeda?

Don't get me wrong, I do think it's a most interesting (and complex) project, I just don't really see the point.
soundwave106

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shreddie wrote:
Please excuse my ignorance but what's the point in this? The Andromeda has a fantastic knob and button laden interface, why would anyone want to supplant that for something that needs a mouse?!

If it's truly a *VST*, the main advantage would be patch recall, that is, patches that are tied to and loaded to a particular DAW song.

(Yes, you can store patches on memory cards and do it that way, it's just a different workflow.)
johnf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shreddie wrote:

I could understand it if the interface on the Andromeda was as inpenetrable and useless as the one on the FS1R (indeed I use a PC editor for that) or if it was for some other synth without a good control surface, but the Andromeda?

Don't get me wrong, I do think it's a most interesting (and complex) project, I just don't really see the point.

It could also help to see patch settings on a big screen, especially for us beginners.
sempervirent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see the point in the comments asking why you'd want to use a computer for a synth with such a knob-laden interface. The answer is that naming patches on the A6 takes way too long, I'd rather type the names in.

Just kidding. But that's basically the idea. There isn't a knob for everything (particularly the modulation options). And on my A6 at least, several of the soft knobs (below the display) are jittery, making the editing of certain values an exercise in frustration. Combine that with the fact that the knob positions don't always match the current value, which makes it hard to know what's changed since you edited a different patch. I know that min/max knobs get more old school cred, but I prefer rotary encoders, and also like how VSTs set the graphical knobs to the actual values when a patch is loaded.

Also, speaking personally, I find it helpful to see the overall layout of a patch on the screen at one time. Granted, you won't be able to see the entire patch at once due to the vast number of parameters, but it will be a step up over the monochromatic bitmap fonts of the A6 display.

I've been really impressed by hardware like the Virus TI series that basically outsources the DSP to an external box but lets you treat the hardware like a VST. It would be amazing if every synth manufacturer provided such an interface for their hardware.

So it's definitely not a replacement for the tangible front panel, just a way to augment sound design using a different approach.

Anyway, haven't had time for any mockups yet, but I'm definitely interested in getting feedback. Will post more soon.
sunny pedaal

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: CTRLR VST/Au plugin for Andromeda Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sempervirent wrote:
Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm starting work on the design of a CTRLR for the Andromeda. This will be a VST/AU interface for programming the Andromeda with your computer. It's been a long time coming, and the developer of CTRLR has begun the process of working out the details.

Please check this thread for updates:
http://ctrlr.org/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=30

I'll be posting rough mockups of the interface and would appreciate feedback from people who knows a lot about the architecture of the A6. Even after years of ownership I feel like there's a lot to learn. And I suspect that the interface will be very complex.

best post i've read in years, thanks i certainly look forward to it , and am more then willing to test and comment
Shreddie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sempervirent wrote:
[SNIP]

So it's definitely not a replacement for the tangible front panel, just a way to augment sound design using a different approach.

You make some fair points actually.
Finder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sempervirent wrote:

I've been really impressed by hardware like the Virus TI series that basically outsources the DSP to an external box but lets you treat the hardware like a VST. It would be amazing if every synth manufacturer provided such an interface for their hardware.

I totally agree, that’s exactly what I thought, onscreen, total control of all the parameters of Andromeda like on that plugin for Virus TI would be so good.
But I think it will be very difficult project.
So many parameters, for example different slope shapes for envelope, or wave shapes, or LFO, I can’t imaging how you going to make graphics for it.

Of course it will be much appreciated by all of us if you make it, this is not a question.

I don’t have the skills\knowledge otherwise I would help.
andyval8088

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any word on this? I know that some people wouldn't care for an editor, but I'm all for it. I would also throw money at it. Not sure if anyone involved still post's here? Hopefully it didn't get abandoned... still nothing from visor as well. Knowing the capabilities of the A6 maybe it's impossible/too hard for a small team to program such software?
sempervirent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

andyval8088 wrote:
Any word on this? I know that some people wouldn't care for an editor, but I'm all for it. I would also throw money at it. Not sure if anyone involved still post's here? Hopefully it didn't get abandoned... still nothing from visor as well. Knowing the capabilities of the A6 maybe it's impossible/too hard for a small team to program such software?

I was willing to continue work on the interface but I didn't get the support I needed from the developer of CTRLR. If anyone else wants to step up with the coding, I am still interested in designing the interface. You would need to be familiar with the JUCE toolkit.
andyval8088

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know much about programming so I wouldn't be any help with that. I'll ask around and see if I can find someone. Did you get any idea as to how massive this project would be on the programming side?
junosound

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Has the original topic on the CTRLR forums been deleted?
Is this project still active?
I'm very interested and would be willing to pay for an editor.
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: