electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
mfos 16 step quantized vary-step-length sequencer
Page 3 of 3 [62 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
dancelwerk

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i solved the problem with my vari-clock add to the old 16 step sequencer, the fault was in a TL074, in U3A, the stepped ramp was out, I replace with another and voila!!!!!

i hope this works to the other people with problems.

now all works fine..................yeaaaah
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent Very Happy , glad you kept going and found the problem.

My faults i had were partly to not reading the very first set of instructions thoroughly Smile
(A/D clock freq.)

I wonder just how many builders have completed this or given up half way through , it seems there were only a handfull of folk having a stab when it came out and not a lot in the way of completed units 1 year later.

BUT , when it does work after all the integration with the other pcbs it's a great add on .
Ray just needs to offer a X2 clock multiplier mod for studios with more than 1 MFOS sequencer ( the vari seq runs at half an external clock rate)
Though i hope to have a go at a clock multiplier with a cd4046 & 4017 phase locked loop design over the holidays Smile

have lots of fun with the working sequencer now Smile Smile

Dave.
dancelwerk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

when you speaks about the half speed of the clock, i suppose you are refering that when you put the sequencer in quantized and external mode the sequencer goes to normal mode, this is my case, i don't know if this is normal,is it?, i lost the add on of quantized notes and the sequencer returns to normal mode, if you refers to solve this problem it will be wonderfull.

Keep me informed, thanks in advance

Merry Christmas and Happy new year
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi , Merry xmas Smile

In the instructions it is part of the design of the new clock circuit to half the speed of an external clock coming in, i was posting about that Smile

If your having a problem with the quantized steps check the documents where it explains about the D-A clock needing to be around 54Khz for the binary led's to match correct operation.
Ray has added some more text to the older instructions for this sequencer add on a few months ago , on the mfos site.

good luck

Dave.
dancelwerk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Merry Xmas too!!!,

i have exactly 54 khz in the sequencer, the binary leds works good, it is only that when i have a sequence quantized and put the switch to external the sequencer return to the normal mode and quantized notes dissapear.

you say:
"In the instructions it is part of the design of the new clock circuit to half the speed of an external clock coming in, i was posting about that"

Is in this topic or another topic?

Thanks in advance.

Fernando.
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dancelwerk wrote:

i have exactly 54 khz in the sequencer, the binary leds works good, it is only that when i have a sequence quantized and put the switch to external the sequencer return to the normal mode and quantized notes dissapear.

Hmmm, strange , on my system i usually use a master clock or another MFOS 16 step sequencer's clock out, patched into the vari-sequencer external clock input . i have the clock switch set to external (which isolates the internal clock) , i also have the other switch set to Q-clock and the gate switch set to multi-Gate (to allow the vari step to give a gate out per step).

dancelwerk wrote:

you say:
"In the instructions it is part of the design of the new clock circuit to half the speed of an external clock coming in, i was posting about that"

Is in this topic or another topic?

This was a reply to your previous post (3rd one down from top of this page)
where you said ...
dancelwerk wrote:

when you speaks about the half speed of the clock, i suppose you are refering that when you put the sequencer in quantized and external mode the sequencer goes to normal mode

No , my sequencer does not do that, i was refering to using an external master clock for many sequencers , the vari sequencer is designed to run at half the speed of an external clock in , on my system that means 4 diy sequencers running at the same speed and the vari sequencer always half speed.

Dave.
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AAHHHH!!! hold on , the thick fog is clearing Smile
If i remember right when i first got this sequencer built , i noticed when wired as the instructions , an external clock only advanced the standard 16 steps , the vari clock function was still hard wired to the master clock U6-F , i made a modification to have the whole unit responding to an external clock bypassing the internal clock , for the moment i cannot remember how i did that , and i've got the sequencer all patched up for the New Year electro-music concert (Epicyclus) , in a week or so i'll have a look Smile
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here we go .....this post must have sunk back 3 or 4 pages Very Happy

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-56345.html

Dave.
dancelwerk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok, no problem take your time, thanks a lot, it will be wonderfull to get the variclock sequenced to other external clock, a 909 clap trigger for example
Razz Razz
hansbuscher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Skrog. When you subbed the 12 position rotary switch for the analogue pot to choose 1 of 16 clocks per. Which 12 intervals did you choose? 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16?

thanks!
Hubaswift

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^ I'm curious about that as well. I've been meaning to make two of these sequencers for quite some time using rotary switches.

I also have a panel design as a cad file if anyone is planning on building it in 5U/MU. It's 11MU wide.
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Guys , i stripped that sequencer down to make the mfos super sequencer in 2015 Smile http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-63821.html

I was having a whole host of problems integrating it with the rest of my sequencers & clocks , if i remember right i think i limited myself to just 12 steps 1 to 12 , the RYK M-185 vari step sequencer i built ages ago has a max of 8 sub steps per step and that was more than enough for my usual melodic sequencing M-185.... http://electro-music.com/forum/download.php?id=24032

Dave Smile
Page 3 of 3 [62 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: