electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Richard Devine wants Clavia to bring back the G2
Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Richard Devine wants Clavia to bring back the G2 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Richard Devine: My go synth would have to be the Nord G2 modular. This is hands down one of my favorite synthesizers. The concept is that its a virtual modular software environment where you can create basically anything you want. You then can assign multiple pages and knobs over the the synthesizer for all your patches. So ahead of its time, and I wish Clavia would bring it back.

Interview with Richard Devine
http://www.iheartsynths.com/interview-004-richard-devine/

Electromagnetic Wave

G2 patch files: 38

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Out of the bunch I would say the Nord G2 and the new Nord Lead 4 are my two favorites.

Smile

A few months earlier, apparently, Clavia has responded to some users that they had not abandoned the G2.
adnauseam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Abandoned? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
A few months earlier, apparently, Clavia has responded to some users that they had not abandoned the G2.

Whatever that means...

Hypothetically they could be working to add better operating system support for their editor.. or perhaps coming up with a software only version of their modular environment which they could sell.

Other than these two options I don't see much coming out of the G2 realm. Clavia hasn't made any money from these things in yearrrrsssss..
cappy2112

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Electromagnetic Wave wrote:
Quote:
Out of the bunch I would say the Nord G2 and the new Nord Lead 4 are my two favorites.

Smile

Where? Can you send a link to that?

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A thing they said in Frankfurt last year, around March.
Electromagnetic Wave

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am not referring to this :

http://img.audiofanzine.com/image.php?identifier=image&size=normal&module=user&userPhoto_id=253190

but in connection with a post I read on audiofanzine.com few months earlier. At Audiofanzine, there is a forum for the G2, one for the G2X, one for the engine and one for the demo. Quickly, I can not find where I read this. But I remember the conversation talking about someone who had contacted Clavia by email. I'll try to find the conversation.
cappy2112

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
A thing they said in Frankfurt last year, around March.

Interesting, I would be surprised if they released anything more for the G2, after so long without any updates.

The only thing that has any chance of happening- would be a final OS update, or that they release a more full featured version of the demo software.

Either of these would not be very expensive for them to do.

I'm not holding my breath/

Electromagnetic Wave

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why they release a more full featured version of the demo software if it is no longer sold and they do not make money? yes an OS update will be good. Nothing more !
trotz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A G3 "engine" with enough I/O to integrate it with existing modular systems would be the synth of my dreams.

The interface could be programmed by any device with a WIFI connection as it seems this project from non-linear labs will be doing: http://nonlinear-labs.de/blog/user_interface/user_interface.html and storage could be on a SD card.

...also, why not make possible to adapt the case to desktop, 19" rack *and eurorack* Cool

Give it 8 cv in/outs and 8 audio in/outs and a means to further expand those and I'm a happy man Smile

cappy2112

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

trotz wrote:
A G3 "engine" with enough I/O to integrate it with existing modular systems would be the synth of my dreams.

The interface could be programmed by any device with a WIFI connection as it seems this project from non-linear labs will be doing: http://nonlinear-labs.de/blog/user_interface/user_interface.html and storage could be on a SD card.

...also, why not make possible to adapt the case to desktop, 19" rack *and eurorack* Cool

Give it 8 cv in/outs and 8 audio in/outs and a means to further expand those and I'm a happy man Smile

Agreed. Having the ability to interact with real modulars would be pretty amazing.

The CV outs has been a feature people have asked about for a long time.
I think there have been a few people who modified their G2's and got 1 channel of CV control.

buzzr

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have heard through a very reliable source that they will never make another modular. The reason being that the user base hounded to much...

I guess I would be one of those people in that party.

Sorry Clavia, we really loved the G2. I have two of them and I'm going to buy a third. They keep going up in price, especially the expanded ones..
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:
...I think there have been a few people who modified their G2's and got 1 channel of CV control.

Hmm,

Yeah, I also seem to remember that someone posted how they selfishly defiled their precious G2 to (OM fuck’n G) get a single DC CV output to control external analog gear… Twisted Evil

But it was such an obscure and very dangerous idea… Wink Could that be the reason why so many cannot remember who did it Question Question Question

Electromagnetic Wave

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?&t=12266
Wink
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Clavia uses the G2 platform for trying out ideas and prototyping, which makes sense because it's so immediate.

That's the way I interpret the statement about "not having abandoned the G2".

(the only way, BTW Wink )
Lfohead

Audio files: 6
G2 patch files: 28

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just speculating but i think they are refering to this:

http://synthlust.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/136617771551dca-520x346.jpg

The first synth ever built by founder of Clavia, Hans Nordelius in 1976..
They was also talking about how similar it was to the Nord Lead..
jonah

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

aren't the g2 engines selling for more than new? that's pretty good compared to most other digital gear from that time period!

i suppose it's like the analog market, used prices go up to the level that manufactures can make money again and bam we have tons of them.

there's a market and positive word of mouth now that wasn't there before. i mean, it seems like the g2 was a victim of the g1's success. people dumped g1s cheap when the g2 came out so people curious about it got a taste w/o clavia seeing any money...and since the g1 can easily keep you busy for years, these people weren't in the market for a g2 until it was too late.

point being, i could see a re-release of the g2 being much more successful, especially if they could use cheaper DSP chips or the cheaper old style encoders. The nord drum shows they have the parts to do do CV in, so they could even give a nod to the new hardware modular market by throwing an i/o or 2 on it.

...a microG2 in the nord drum form factor would be a hit, i think.
Derek Cook

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jonah wrote:
aren't the g2 engines selling for more than new? that's pretty good compared to most other digital gear from that time period!

Yes, I've seen Nord G2 engines going for £600+ on ebay, compared to me paying £400 for mine new in 2005 - which I'll never part with unless Nord do a compatible replacement. Smile

And yes, I'd sell my proverbial granny for a Nord G3! Smile

www.echoes-music.co.uk
www.purefloyd.co.uk
www.carregddu.co.uk
www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
www.ex5tech.com
jksuperstar

G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:
trotz wrote:

Agreed. Having the ability to interact with real modulars would be pretty amazing.

The CV outs has been a feature people have asked about for a long time.
I think there have been a few people who modified their G2's and got 1 channel of CV control.

Try the Sonic|Core Scope XITE. Massive DSP power, sampling, an SDK, 2 ADAT Ins and Outs, AES, 2 analog ins & outs, midi, and a PCIe interface to a PC for use with a DAW. And years of modular running on DSPs with literally thousands of modules available and still growing. Available now, and developed over the last 15 years. Plus you get the entire studio along with the modular.
buzzr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Myself along with Roland sold our Xite-1's.
anigbrowl

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...because?
buzzr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can ask Roland why for him. For me, I can do everything I need and more with the G2. The workflow is easier to work with. The G2 has cut and paste. The wiring on the Xite is difficult to wire up. Soniccore said at NAMM last year that a new OS was coming for the Xite. I have heard nothing about that OS for a year, and it's not at NAMM this year either.. Here is where they make new announcements for the Xite..

http://forums.planetz.com/viewforum.php?f=10&sid=65753ee4aaa7590bd2d026e5f52a6b20

It's a bloated system that's buggy and you need a computer to run it. I had to reinstall my system 3 times before it worked properly. The sound of the Xite though is much better then the G2..
Check Mate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I for my part would be extremely happy if Clavia would at least fix all the existing and especially crucial bugs in the modules.
Is it so hard to draw one or two people off to fix everything? dunno

Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If they'd at least fix the mod delay readout bug, I'd be motivated to finalize a bunch of stuff I have lying around like studio-quality DIY reverbs, self-calibrating physical models, realtime polyphonic additive resynthesizer...
Roland Kuit

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 127

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have my Xite-1 for sale.
It is slow in comparison with the NMG2.
But what a SOUND!
An yes, it is a whole studio, the best DSP studio!
Very versatile routings.
And loads of modules for the modular.
And SDK!
So not sold yet, but keeping it will cause no pain.
Just bought and extra NMG2Rack.
And busy with a new system.
Roland Kuit

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 127

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

NMG3 with bug fixes!
And faster DSP's!
I would go for that!
Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: