electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Which Eagle libraries do I want?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
creekree

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Which Eagle libraries do I want? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all,

I ditched the PCB Layout Creator software and want to go with Eagle now. This is foreign territory to me, but I am willing to learn.
However, I am stuck when it comes to adding components - the stock libraries that come with Eagle are somewhat vast AND limited at the same time. Most of the components I do not know, the ones I want I can not find.
Which libraries would you guys recommend to get? I am a thru-hole only person, if thats any help...

Thanks!

diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wouldnt recommend any of the libraries but then i dont recommend Eagle either. , it's a ridiculous program Twisted Evil I wasted a lot of time and effort coming to grips with it,
I still have it on my computer but only for the few designs i actually finished on it , but if you are set on using Eagle then you really need to take the time to learn to make your own library parts for it. Be aware dont trust any of the standard libraries you need to check parts against data sheets .

What i do recommend over every other program i have tried is FreePCB
simple to learn and use , fast , very few limitations and outputs gerbers, unless you want curvy traces , personally i can live without curvy traces.

as good an answer as any
LFLab

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

+1 on the mistrust of libraries, a lot of them are ok, but I recently did a run of boards with PC mount pots only to find out that both the mounting holes and silk outlines were too small.

I really like Eagle though, some things are a bit odd coming from CAD software like Pro/Engineer and Autocad (and Adobe Illustrator graphical design software), but overall I think it is pretty painless.

Defining your own parts is definitely very cumbersome, I have done it once or twice, but wow, very counterintuitive.
It's handy to have your own library though, just a single lib containing all the favorite parts in the stash, instead of Eagle loading tens of libs.

Tried freepcb, kicad, diptrace, just feels like a step down in ease of use.
Recently did a very small board in Fritzing, and liked that, for simple stuff it's pretty good (but will need to define a library there as well, because there isn't that much out there which has all relevant parts combined).

The licensing plan for eagle is pretty aggravating though, talk about limitations. Very limited unless you go for the most expensive version.
yerpa58

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I really like Eagle, and have used it professionally for decades. The best part is the way they use a single database for both the board and the schematic, it makes incremental design and revisions very easy. It is a far better design than some of the much more expensive programs out there. Also it is fast and unobtrusive on your computer.

You can google search for Eagle parts. Lately I found some good ones on the Ladyada site, also Sparkfun. Whatever program you use, do not automatically trust any part, always check with component data sheet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: