electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
This is a improvisation with my G2
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Electromagnetic Wave

G2 patch files: 38

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: This is a improvisation with my G2
Subject description: Is there any other use the G2 to do everything when composing a song?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all!

This is a improvisation with my G2 :

First, thank you all! The G2 is a great synth, but it would not be what it is without this forum and those who share their knowledge.

I built a few G2 performances to improvisations. Everything came from your help! I can start a project from 0 without the G2 editor. I can edit everything (drum part, ARP, FX, synth, etc..) in real time or not.

I understand that depending on the style of music and sound type (big pad, organ, polyphony, morphing, etc..) you need all the resources to make a sound. In my case I use a lot of monophonic sounds.

My question: Is there any other use the G2 to do everything when composing a song?

I created this performance to refine my interaction with the G2. I have everything I need to make music in real time now. Smile
xav

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you, it's very nice. I'd like to see more videos of jam with only the G2...
Electromagnetic Wave

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks xav!!!

Another one !

paugui

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 37

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This set I performed here at radio.electro-music.com was mainly G2X:

http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/first_night_of_unknown_music_136.m4a

I also used a Fender Rhodes processed by my Sony DPS-V77 (for chorus/amp), which was then further processed and mixed in the G2X.
I also used my Eigenharps Pico processed by an Oberheim Strummer as a controller for the G2X.

Everything else was done with the G2X and recorded with Garageband (no further processing done there).

It's a fantastic machine indeed and the only synth I could use to make a full song with in one take.
Electromagnetic Wave

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks paugui. Beautiful! I love these spacey atmospheres. No video with this performance ?

I use approximately 50% of DSP resources (expended G2) in the videos posted earlier. 3 or 4 variations per slot and my patch is not optimized. I am amazed at what I can do with just the g2. I'm aware that I'm probably the least experienced user here. I'll learn with time. But I insist, I want to do everything with the g2 (no external gear) and I'm already very satisfied.

This is the main content in the performances in my video :

-Slot A : Step sequencer + Drum/Percussion ... something similar to the Redrum in Reason or Korg ESX or RS 7000
-Slot B : synth + scala (microtuning) patch
-Slot C : synth + 2 different arpeggiators + Polyphonic MIDI Recorder
-Slot D : FX, vocoder, Audio In effects

Now the big challenge is to use properly the control surface in real time to run everything.
For exemple, when it's time to tweak the knob of a slot and use the piano to play the second slot. : choose to use the "KB split" and assign the keyboard on Slot A/B both... or instead use the "global panel"
Another exemple, when you need to change the variations on several slot together : use the "Global Panel" or create a dedicated circuit...

I love the G2 control surface limitations! very intuitive!

Because I don't want to spam with my video this is the last I post here. But please, if you have good video post it here ! Or if you have good tips how you use the g2 in real time, share ! Smile Smile Smile

xav

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It isn't spam at all. Very interesting to see all those ways to perform live with only the G2. Thank you[/quote]
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice videos, nice music too - thanks for posting (both Electromagnetic Wave and paugui)!
grimley

G2 patch files: 9

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great stuff! Keep them coming please.
Electromagnetic Wave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks!

The 3 videos are made ​​with the same performance. Now that I am satisfied I have to work the drums : rolls, breaks, velocity, effects. Play with the synth / arp / effect (I use a lot the "GreatBeatDestroy.pch2" from stiiiiiiive). I will improve this performance but I do not post other videos related to it unless it is really a big update.

But I'm working on another quite different from the 1st performance for a downtempo project with my friend. He play tamtam very well. I'll use an input for audio effects on the tamtam and I want to use the mic with a vocoder patch on my voice.

-Slot A : Step sequencer + Drum/Percussion
-Slot B : 2 synths patch
-Slot C : Vocoder for my voice + Audio Looper
-Slot D : Audio In effects for the tamtam

I'll post a video if it is filmed!

Edit : I forgot to say that since one week I decided to quietly read the forum since the beginning in 2004. I started with the "G2 Performances - Noodles". I'm really impressed by the talent of some here. I particularly studied the patches (thanks ian-s and sheridan, rob, Roland Kuit, Blue Hell and others! ) to trigger sounds after long periods. This is not the way I work but these noodles are very very impressive !
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Electromagnetic Wave wrote:
This is not the way I work

That was one reason for me to appreciate your video's :-)

Electromagnetic Wave

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey,

I was supose to post this video some months ago...

You can see how I build a project from scratch only with the G2. The editor is opened just to show you some parts of the .prf.

https://youtu.be/sbSqqY8gaT0

1.00 : record drum / real time
2.00 : record drum / step sequencer
6.00 : record lead/power chords / step sequencer
8.00 : record automation lead/power chords
10.00 : edit automation by step
12.30 : record lead 2 / arpegiator step by step
16.20 : record lead 3 / step sequencer

All building blocks used in this patch are already here in the forum ! A good workaround I use a lot is about how to access quickly every parameters from all the sequencers on the 'parameter pages'. I do not transpose each 16 steps from a sequencer but only the 1st and I access the module with the shortcut :
1.press 'copy' + 'knob used on parameter pages'
2. press " Patch"

Like this I can put a lot of sequencers on the 'parameter pages' and keep space to put other stuff to control.

I show you how I use the G2 as a standalone workstation but this video is not music ... its just noise..!!

As I said before I'm really impressed by the talent of some here and the way you use the G2. But I wish to see more people using the G2 as a standalone workstation to make projects from scratch. The workflow with the G2 like this kill all workstations I used before ... except the Yamaha RS7k !

My dream is to see a G3 oriented in a workstation .... a modular workstation

Smile
erstlaub

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

All of the album I've made over the last 10 years or so are essentially single take, live performances using an unexpanded G2 engine, a midi controller, and a couple of delays pedals (to hide the audio drop when loading in new patches).

Here's a handfull - https://erstlaub.bandcamp.com

(if you look at spirit trap, it's a collection of single tracks so will get an idea of how the larger pieces are built up).

I'll basically build a bunch of 'parts' and then use G2 switches paired to real world buttons to bring elements in and out, faders for volume, and knobs for various assigned tweakable parameters.

I actually got into the original NM then the G2 due to a real difficulty with HOW do you perform electronic music (at a time where I was really heavily relying on making sequences in cubase and then bouncing them down and essentially having nothing to do live anymore).

I love it, I've learned so much about building sound, texture, tone etc and at the same time, always build in enough variables so that every time I play the same set, it'll be similar but completely different and I can still occasionally find myself improvised into territories I wasn't entirely expecting.

https://vimeo.com/erstlaub/videos
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: