electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
does Magic Smoke Electronics is still on?
Page 1 of 2 [39 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
isak

Audio files: 18

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: does Magic Smoke Electronics is still on? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi.

i'm trying to contact them Via email for few day now but had no response.
does they still on?

cheers,
Isak E.

isak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i got a hold of him in his privet email and made the order.
squarewhite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi,

I've also made an order but haven't heard from him since. can you please pm me his private email address?

thanks
isak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pm'd Wink
Noisebuddy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i have the same question .... i`d like to order two of the TH-102 oscillator pcp

but no response

or is there some sort of thread where i can order

and i am new here ... hi everyone

Robert
Thomas_Henry

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everyone,

Magic Smoke is my publisher, and just put out my new book last week. While all of the back-and-forth with typesetting and proofreading was going on, Tim was in the process of getting ready to move to a new town. So I wouldn't be surprised if it takes him a while to get unpacked and ready for DIY emails. I hate moving myself and can never face the piles to be packed and stuff to be cleaned.

Thomas Henry
jpmaus

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Noisebuddy wrote:
i have the same question .... i`d like to order two of the TH-102 oscillator pcp

but no response

or is there some sort of thread where i can order

and i am new here ... hi everyone

Robert

I'm in the same boat as Robert here, only I've already paypaled Magic Smoke the money for the boards! If someone might be able to tell us how to contact him, that would be great. Thanks!
Noisebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thomas_Henry wrote:
Hi everyone,

Magic Smoke is my publisher, and just put out my new book last week. While all of the back-and-forth with typesetting and proofreading was going on, Tim was in the process of getting ready to move to a new town. So I wouldn't be surprised if it takes him a while to get unpacked and ready for DIY emails. I hate moving myself and can never face the piles to be packed and stuff to be cleaned.

Thomas Henry

Hi Thomas

thank you for your response

this make things clear and transparent to me

Robert
jpmaus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Noisebuddy wrote:
Thomas_Henry wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thomas Henry

Hi Thomas

thank you for your response

this make things clear and transparent to me

Robert

Didn't see Thomas' response, sorry. Moving is a pain!
infraxpert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well moving or not, I think Magic Smoke gone underground.

I ordered and paid for a bunch of PCBs and Tempcos 6 weeks ago and since an email that the PCB was late but under way I have not heard anything.

In the meantime I have received several other letters and packages from US so the post obviously work. I have also received the components for the PCBs from China despite the Chinese new year.

I have not received any package or tracking code and Tim does not answer my emails.

At this point I will be surprised if something, including Tim, will show up.
sneakthief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FWIW, I ordered 2 PCBs from a modular synth manufacturer last year (USA to Germany) and despite being shipped immediately, it took 5 1/2 weeks for this letter-size package to arrive.
jpmaus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

infraxpert wrote:
Well moving or not, I think Magic Smoke gone underground.

I ordered and paid for a bunch of PCBs and Tempcos 6 weeks ago and since an email that the PCB was late but under way I have not heard anything.

In the meantime I have received several other letters and packages from US so the post obviously work. I have also received the components for the PCBs from China despite the Chinese new year.

I have not received any package or tracking code and Tim does not answer my emails.

At this point I will be surprised if something, including Tim, will show up.

I agree, if you accept a payment and advertise that "boards are in-stock and shipping," then you should probably also be able to let your customers know what's up via email... I wouldn't be sweating it so much were it not for the fact that I just can't seem to be able to get the "Birth of a Synth" foil working, and I need these 2206 instruments operational ASAP.

But what are we going to do? Raise a fuss with Paypal? I'm new to the DIY synth stuff, but it seems the community is all totally on the level. State Machine's already done me a solid, and everyone on here seems pretty cool and helpful. I guess we just have to wait... Wait... Wait... Wait... From Jameco: Wait... From Mouser: Wait... For the IC I forget to order last time: Wait... For the crimping tool only available online: Wait... Wait... Wait... Wait... Mad

EDIT: Speaking of which, if anyone has any fully running TH-102s, I'm definitely in the market.
Tim Servo

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: Magic Smoke is still here
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Everyone,

Not dead yet! I have moved lately, and while that's not a very good excuse, it has put me behind the eight ball on responding to and shipping customer orders. We'll be getting caught up in the next week and I'll be responding to everyone as soon as I can. We had to reorder some PCBs, but we have boards and parts in stock (except for the 'Cucamonga' VCLFO which is no longer stocked). Sorry again to make everybody wait, but we'll get you all caught up!

Tim (behind and behinder) Servo
infraxpert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice to hear from you Tim.
Great to hear you are all well.
Noisebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh thats fine ...... very fine

Great to hear from you..... i'm looking forward
Noisebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sneakthief wrote:
FWIW, I ordered 2 PCBs from a modular synth manufacturer last year (USA to Germany) and despite being shipped immediately, it took 5 1/2 weeks for this letter-size package to arrive.

Thats quite long..... maybe they checked up the purpose of the pcp - bomb or else
Synthsense

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is my first message in electro-music, it is a pitty that I am gonna use it to complain about Tim, sorry guys.

Around the begginning of may of 2014 I got answer from Tim via Magic Smoke about a question I made him on Mankato's VCF PCBs availability. He said around 12th of may they should be in stock again, so I placed my order for 2 PCBs, since then, I haven't received any info about ordering status nor I have received any answer to 3 emails I sent him. In the last week I've even tried to send him a message through Facebook and opened a thread in Muffwiggler in order to find him, no answer !. I received some PMs from people that are supposed to be friends of him that told me that Tim is a nice person going through tough times.

I am sorry Tim, I don't know about your problems, I have mine too. Could you please be more serious about what you do? If you can't take your site seriously,then, please, don't get money from people, close it untill you are ready again. Is it so difficult to answer messages, is it really so difficult for you to spend 10 seconds of your life to write? Come on
Zorn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My experience with MagSmoke has been the same as Synthsense.

Was promised a tracking number a couple of weeks ago & again this past week - nothing either time - emails aren't being answered (again).

All I need to know is when my items are going to ship (approximate time frame) - if there is a back-log or waiting on inventory - that's fine - let me know. But if promises are repeatedly being made & not followed through on - that's a different story.

Note: Have ordered PCBs/parts from several forum members here (and the electro-music store) - no issues or problems - everything arrived just as promised.
ubergrafik

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I have also had the same issue. I have sent my money months ago and had no reply. So, between us, there would be hundreds of dollars spent, for nothing!

It does sound like it gets to the point of money being handed over, then nothing. Is that the experoence of others? If this is e case, it is nothing more than dishonesty and something should be done about it. Very disapointed.

Tims last reply to this forum is from February. Not a great sign...

I really hope I am wrong!
Synthsense

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

6 months and no answer from Tim, dishonest is the least you can say about this person, make yourself a favour........

DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS GUY (MAGIC SMOKE ELECTRONICS), MONEY LOST GUARANTEED
rosch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rolling Eyes
Bullshit. Tim is a honest guy and I've never had any problems with him. There have been times before when people were asking how to contact him and afaik it always turned out alright in the end.
I've also once waited more than 3 months for a simple PCB and MCU shipped from USA to Germany and I'd never have tried to get my money back from the individual who sent it in case had it never shown up.

All great advice you guys give him but how about not taking yourselves too serious either. We all know it's a hobbyist thing here and people have real lives and there's some major shit that can happen.

Also, your attempt to build some 'customer pressure' with negative statements may be quite futile around here. We all know Tim already and many value his service quite high.
Synthsense

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rosch wrote:
Rolling Eyes
Bullshit. Tim is a honest guy and I've never had any problems with him. There have been times before when people were asking how to contact him and afaik it always turned out alright in the end.
I've also once waited more than 3 months for a simple PCB and MCU shipped from USA to Germany and I'd never have tried to get my money back from the individual who sent it in case had it never shown up.

All great advice you guys give him but how about not taking yourselves too serious either. We all know it's a hobbyist thing here and people have real lives and there's some major shit that can happen.

Also, your attempt to build some 'customer pressure' with negative statements may be quite futile around here. We all know Tim already and many value his service quite high.

I've sent him dozens of mails, no answer, and yes this is a kind of hobbyst thing, sure, but when you are taking money from others, the minimum you can do is answering to the people is writing you

Shit can happen in everyones life, sure, but is not my fault, don't get my money! Is so simple. Meanwhile we all wait Tim to be on float again, I don't recommend you buying from Magic Smoke.
rosch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Synthsense wrote:

I've sent him dozens of mails, no answer, and yes this is a kind of hobbyst thing, sure, but when you are taking money from others, the minimum you can do is answering to the people is writing you

Shit can happen in everyones life, sure, but is not my fault, don't get my money! Is so simple. Meanwhile we all wait Tim to be on float again, I don't recommend you buying from Magic Smoke.

Sure, not a cool situation, if he has your MONEY, your heart's blood. I don't know, can only talk from my own perspective which might not be the norm. I.e. money is merely toilet paper and I value some things way higher, especially things that happen around sdiy in general. After maybe 5 years of not having lost any shipment with regular mail, not having been screwed over by anyone not even by the black IP sheep, I'd rather just write it off as shit happens and wait or draw my own conclusions from it rather than trying to portray someone as 'dishonest to say the very least'.

Well thanks for your advice, but it doesn't apply to me. I've only had good experiences with Tim in the past and I've been around long enough on the forums to know that things have been turned out ok in the past when he wasn't available for a while. And of course I haven't built the Mankato's yet so I probably won't get around dealing with Magic Smoke again in the future. Because, where else would you get them. So simple.

I know sending payment for a board or 2 makes average citizen a CUSTOMER and this just means different things to different people.
After all it's not like he collected 100$ deposits from 100 or more people 5 years ago and coming around with new fairytales every half year since.
So I'm sure it will be figured out, maybe not in line with the mouser customer ASAP doctrine but imo not a reason to paint him black as in dishonest as you put it.
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I will throw in with rosch here. Tim is absolutely an honest guy.

Whether his life situation justifies his lack of responsiveness is a more subjective matter. I paid him for something in July, quite a bit more expensive than a couple of PCBs, and I'm mildly frustrated that I haven't received it even now, but I know from past experience with him that he is not a thief. I will eventually receive it. I'm still OK with waiting for now. Even if I get to a point where I'm not OK with waiting, I doubt I'm going to jump up and down and scream thief because I know he's not.

I've also been through some lousy times and I know how hard it can be to motivate yourself to do even the basic stuff that *has* to get done, even when it's staring you in the face, and your brain is crucifying you for being such an idiot as to not DO THE THING. So I have every sympathy for his situation.

As I say though: it's a more subjective thing. I'm sure you're frustrated, and I don't mean to downplay that frustration, or say that you're not justified in being frustrated. I think it's probably fair to let people know that Tim's having problems fulfilling orders. But I don't think you're justified in calling him a thief.
Synthsense

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
I will throw in with rosch here. Tim is absolutely an honest guy.

Whether his life situation justifies his lack of responsiveness is a more subjective matter. I paid him for something in July, quite a bit more expensive than a couple of PCBs, and I'm mildly frustrated that I haven't received it even now, but I know from past experience with him that he is not a thief. I will eventually receive it. I'm still OK with waiting for now. Even if I get to a point where I'm not OK with waiting, I doubt I'm going to jump up and down and scream thief because I know he's not.

I've also been through some lousy times and I know how hard it can be to motivate yourself to do even the basic stuff that *has* to get done, even when it's staring you in the face, and your brain is crucifying you for being such an idiot as to not DO THE THING. So I have every sympathy for his situation.

As I say though: it's a more subjective thing. I'm sure you're frustrated, and I don't mean to downplay that frustration, or say that you're not justified in being frustrated. I think it's probably fair to let people know that Tim's having problems fulfilling orders. But I don't think you're justified in calling him a thief.

So, would You recommend anyone to get projects from him? I wouldn't. The worse thing is the frustration of not getting any answer, nothing justifies this state of complete lack of information, he's getting all this requests and messages but he doesn't want to answer them, I see this like very unrespectful. One more thing, if you say in may that your pcbs are in stock and ready to send but is obvious that it is no true, you become straightaway a liar. And yes money is only paper, but it costs me hours of my life trying to get it, and I don't like to waste it this way. Tim has many friends over here, sure he made things right in the past, but he isn't now, sorry, you are not going to change my mind. Sure things can be done much better
Page 1 of 2 [39 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: