electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Do you hear well?
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Do you hear well? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Check out the Golden Ears -test to find out where your hearing is at. If you dare... Smile
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you hear well? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
Do you hear well?

Umm, what did you say Question

bachus

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, I'm going deaf due to tinnitus, > 6kHz. But it's much preferable to being dead.
DrJustice

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm sorry to hear that. Having had a few small tastes of tinnitus I one ear, I can at least pretend to imagine that I've some inkling of a vague idea...
bachus

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the kind words. I have a friend who is also a composer who is having the same problem and it has been emotionally difficult for him. So I feel fortunate on that count. If I start to feel angry or sorry for myself I'm able to give myself a quick kick in the ass and focus on all that I have to be grateful for and how easy my life has been compared to most other souls on this planet and I immediately feel better.

But again, thank you.

audiodef

Audio files: 53

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, I'm completely deaf and use cochlear implants, and before that I used hearing aids. So take it from me - there's always a way! Smile
Johan Zwart

Audio files: 19
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can I say it after these sad stories? That I have silver ears as wel as (almost) silver hair? I guess I got lucky.
MoonBase 69

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got silver not too bad for using a laptop with a fan in an office with a TV going in the background and people walking by.
AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Haven't done this one, but work does hearing tests once a year, and I got a good result. I always wear my earplugs at work, not like some idiots -- in a place where you have to SHOUT to be heard, even with no earplugs, do you really think it's a good idea to be around that din for eight or nine hours a day with no hearing protection?

I can always tell who has industrial deafness at work by who watches my lips when I talk (loudly.)
MoonBase 69

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's not so much like a hearing test for frequency response and volume like you get at the doctors office, but how well you can distinguish subtle differences. As well as how good what you're listening on is. I struggled on the spatial stuff because a laptop with the speakers pointing out the sides isnt exactly made for good stereo imaging. Could probably throw on some headphones and breeze through it.

Training is also a major factor 20+ years in the broadcast industry I have developed an ear for hearing noises, distortions and frequency response problems that most people would listen to and say sounds fine to me. My ears haven't exactly lived an easy life either lots of headphone time, noisy equipment, diesel generators as well as some sound reinforcement work here and there.
bachus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Johan Zwart wrote:
Can I say it after these sad stories? That I have silver ears as wel as (almost) silver hair? I guess I got lucky.

Sure, and good for you. You're both lucky and careful. In this noisy world luck isn't enough. I have been careful to use ear protection throughout my life but was unlucky on the genes inherited from my father's side.

And thanks, audiodef, I've started thinking of a project that's within the range of what's left of my hearing.

audiodef

Audio files: 53

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:
Johan Zwart wrote:

Sure, and good for you. You're both lucky and careful. In this noisy world luck isn't enough. I have been careful to use ear protection throughout my life but was unlucky on the genes inherited from my father's side.

And thanks, audiodef, I've started thinking of a project that's within the range of what's left of my hearing.

Feel free to pick my brain. It's always nice to share ideas with folks in the same boat as we try to figure things out.

DrJustice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^ Hm. We could be (one of?) the first musician's forum with a sub forum for the exchange of thoughts and techniques for making music with reduced hearing...
AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does Sunn O))) have a forum?
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: